Best Lift Device ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Lift Device ?

Getting Older now on Dr order not to lift over 30 pound. What would be best way in a tiny shop to lift dividing heads and heavy accessories ? Any good ideas Guys ? Thanx

Man... I just came in from moving a bunch of stuff around in the shop including a clone of a Kurt D100 vise. Thought I was going to blow out my knees and back lifting that [email protected] up off the ground. I don't know what it weighs, but I know my 55 lb Anvil-Shape-Object felt like a baseball compared to that vise. Had a good long think about all these big, heavy pieces of machinery I've accumulated. So your post is very timely!

I suspect one of the easiest and quickest solutions is one of those lift carts. You can get them at HF for not too much money and they should allow you to lower the table height to the shelf where the dividing head / rotab / whatever lives, then slide the accessory off the shelf and onto the cart, wheel the cart to the mill, pump up the jack so the cart is now level with the milling table, slide onto the milling table. Unless it's a really tightly packed shop and no room for the cart.

In which case, I've also seen some clever ideas here that are basically different variations on the K&T parking attachments that were made to "park" vertical milling heads when not installed on horizontal machines. Rather than doing that for a specific accessory, maybe you could turn it into a skyhook like they make for lathes. I've got a skyhook and, despite the naysayers, I love it for changing heavy chucks on my Pacemakers.

Something like this, just remember that's 500 Chinese pounds, which are about 2/3 as heavy as US lbs. from what I remember

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...hydraulic+cart
    or
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...aulic+car+lift
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 11-11-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-10-21-11-30.png
Views:	793
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1909824 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-10-21-12-04.png
Views:	799
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1909825 Look for a die cart..probably pricey , but you might be able to build a scaled down version..
      I am guessing you will lift 200 lbs or less..
      Last edited by 754; 11-11-2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I have had a 20 pound restriction for over 40 years
        I have a electric "Die Lift" similar ( Blue Giant) to what 754 posted, except mine also has a plate so I can slide stuff on and off
        I can move a mill or lathe when I use the Forks. It Picks up my Bridgeport so it will handle anything and acts as a spare table top
        when not in lifting use
        Rich

edit
        You can go to McMaster carr to see what one looks like
        https://www.mcmaster.com/die-carts/
        Go to the bottom of the page ,see 2,000 # Battery Die Lift...only mine has forks
        They are cheap at a shop or factory auction ( 600-800 )
        Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 11-11-2020, 01:32 AM.
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

I don't think I could deal with that sort of limit just yet..... I'm nearly to 70, I have been weight-lifting to build up, and am probably stronger now than since I wrestled in high school. Just horsed a new set of 60 lb batteries into the battery box out in the shed (after taking out the old ones).

I've seen way too many thin, frail old folks die too soon, and don't want to go that road if I can avoid it.
          3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

so how much do you press on the bench?

Comment

I am thinking an adjustable height shop table on wheels. Some tables also have a small crane built in.

Comment

The lifting that got me was getting chucks on & off the lathe - D1-8 12" 3 jaw, 14" 4 jaw etc. I installed a small I beam over the lathe, along the main access. A small chain hoist on a trolley lifts the chucks with ease. The chucks are then stored on a cart at the headstock end, in line with the spindle.

Ian
                All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Could get one of these 😉
                  Exoskeletons for human performance augmentation is a new type of body army being developed for soldiers.
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

One of those Sky Hooks, although they seem a bit Gucci to me.

Comment

Hoyer lift, working load to around 350 libs, available with manual or electric hydraulics.
                      I recently bought a Wallace 2T gantry crane for heavy lift out of the truck.

Comment

Madman: How about some info on how much wiggle room you have? Maybe a sketch or a couple of pics would give us an idea.
                        Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                          so how much do you press on the bench?
                          Max I will do is around 140lb, generally use 120 lb for daily to get more reps. I may shift up soon. No plans to exceed 200 lb.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 11-11-2020, 11:34 AM.
                          3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Thanx for the ideas. Thinking a Home made unit mounted on my Moveable Table would be Good. Not too much room since i am quite Jammed with equipment. I'm gonna take Pictures Later and Post them. Too much heavy stuff. Until a month ago I would just lift about anything then ..Oh well getting older. Thanx Guys for the Input.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Sky Hook, worth every penny. Use on lathe and mill. easy to adapt to needs.
                              Toolznthings

Comment

Working...
                              X