Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Lift Device ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    This is one of the MOST STABLE platform lifts that I have found.
    The platform does not rock side to side as you slide the object
    off the platform and on to a destination surface (table, milling machine,
    whatever). I feel this is important as not to have something slide off
    because the platform moved or shifted. These platforms stay level.

    ---Doozer






    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2309_200652309


    DZER

    Comment


    • #17
      Plan is make removable cran like sky hook but electric powered. Mount base onto my Tool cart, been trying to clean up the shop so the cart can be actually moved through it. Daunting Task indeed.

      Comment


      • #18
        So once mounted the crane will swing around 360 degrees ? Be nice to get a worm gear on it to rotate it..

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 754 View Post
          So once mounted the crane will swing around 360 degrees ? Be nice to get a worm gear on it to rotate it..
          Or an adjustable friction drag brake, so the swinging load doesn't get out of control.

          Comment


          • #20
            Get this months HSM magazine, there is a shop crane just for your application. Great article and doable in many scenarios.

            TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

            Comment


            • #21
              I made a light weight swing boom with a trolley. Small chain fall... It swings over my 5 draw cabinet and the table of my mill. For the rest of my shop I use an Engine hoist. The rest of the yard I use a front end loader.

              I don't lift a thing.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                One of those Sky Hooks, although they seem a bit Gucci to me.
                I have two Sky Hooks, both bought on Craigs List for a bargain. One is cart mounted ($400), the other tool post mounted ($165). Love 'em both. The tool post mounted one is 28lbs so it is under the OP's weight requirement (500lbs rated lift capacity), and can be easily mounted on either the lathe or mill.

                I also have the bigger HF hydraulic table which works well, but the OP's shop looks like it is "space challenged". The tool post Sky Hook can hang on the wall, or at least doesn't take up floor space when not in use.

                Question for RB211. What does "a bit Gucci" mean?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jmarkwolf; 11-22-2020, 12:29 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I can see 11 drill chucks, are you a breeder? Are any of them pedigree?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I use one of these for vises, rotary tables and such. The price is right and it collapses and hides in a very small space. https://xtremepowerusa.com/products/...eels/bike-rack

                    John MacArthur

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post

                      I have two Sky Hooks, both bought on Craigs List for a bargain. One is cart mounted ($400), the other tool post mounted ($165). Love 'em both. The tool post mounted one is 28lbs so it is under the OP's weight requirement (500lbs rated lift capacity), and can be easily mounted on either the lathe or mill.

                      I also have the bigger HF hydraulic table which works well, but the OP's shop looks like it is "space challenged". The tool post Sky Hook can hang on the wall, or at least doesn't take up floor space when not in use.

                      Question for RB211. What does "a bit Gucci" mean?
                      The pilots at my company who flew the classic 747 with flight engineer and steam gauges would refer to the newer 747-400 with glass cockpit and much better systems as the "Gucci Bird". In reference to the fashion designer which somehow also translates into "less work" and maybe feminine? Now that you make me think about it, it kind of takes away from using that slang, good going! 😡

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I use a couple hydraulic tables for HF and an electric overhead hoist. The larger HF table will lift 1,000 lbs. to a height of 34 1/2".

                        1000 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart (harborfreight.com)

                        The smaller one will lift 500 lbs. to a height of 27 1/2"

                        500 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart (harborfreight.com)

                        In either case I store the "accessory" (vise, rotary table, etc.) on the table. When I need it on a machine I raise the table to the proper height and slide it over to the machine.



                        For items heavier than I want to pick up off the floor I use the hoist on a centrally located beam. It can lift up to 1,500 lbs. I raise the item to table height, set it on the table, and move it to the machine or work bench.

                        Strongway Electric Cable Hoist — 750-Lb. Single Line Capacity, 1500-Lb. Double Line Capacity, 38ft./19ft. Lift | Northern Tool

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I'm a little late to this party but a quick review doesn't show any links to past threads.

                          I really doubt that there is any one sole solution. I think you'll find that you end up with each machine having some variation of a lift or perhaps a non lifting solution.

                          For the mill in particular there was a thread some time back where the table would be set to the height of some storage shelves behind the mill. A bridge would be laid in place and that allowed the items to be slid off the table, across the bridge and onto the shelf. Then the bridge would be moved and the next item dragged across and onto the mill table. It all seemed like a really nice idea. Provided, of course, that the surfaces are kept smooth and clean so things could be skidded like this without picking up chips and galling like crazy. But that's a cleaning up issue.

                          For the lathe I really line the idea of the Skyhook or perhaps a shop made straight across idea where a traveller that lifts and rolls along a track would allow far more flexibility in aiming the thing than what the Skyhook offers. A major bit of functionality is missing from the Skyhook which can only reach the perimeter of the circular travel. A proper lifting device should be able to reach anywhere within the area of the outer perimeter. So while cute I think the makers missed out on a key feature.

                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                            I'm a little late to this party but a quick review doesn't show any links to past threads.

                            I really doubt that there is any one sole solution. I think you'll find that you end up with each machine having some variation of a lift or perhaps a non lifting solution.

                            For the mill in particular there was a thread some time back where the table would be set to the height of some storage shelves behind the mill. A bridge would be laid in place and that allowed the items to be slid off the table, across the bridge and onto the shelf.
                            What you've posted is described in words and images in either the Cincinnati or Brown and Sharpe Milling Machines book. From an era when horizontal mills were king and the vertical head was a sometimes used accessory.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I made this for above the mill from Tractor Supply barn door parts and scrap rectangle tube.
                              Rated for 600 lbs. and I've successfully lifted over 500 just testing without a problem.
                              Deck lags go up into each floor joist along with Simpson brackets.
                              It extends several feet to one side of the mill and I roll up the really heavy things on a cart, lift off and slide over the table.


                              Len

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I use a patient lift that I bought used.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	29520173030Invacare-Hydraulic-Manual-Patient-Lift-L.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1912041
                                12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                                Index "Super 55" mill
                                18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                                7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                                24" State disc sander

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X