OT - Products for the gullible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    It seems to me that I rarely see birds perched on high voltage transmission lines, but they are often on the lower voltage <20 kV distribution lines. They do perch on the ground wire, although it may be because it is usually run above the live conductors, probably to attract and conduct lightning which would otherwise cause problems. ..................
    It also provides some shielding against capacitive pulses being induced.

Birds have pointy beaks, and I'd bet on corona currents being VERY uncomfortable, as well as the general ruffling of feathers from voltage.... like the hair trick with a van de Graaf.
    3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

This thread will just end up as a place to sneer....it adds no value and will alienate people. I could make a long list of things based on myth, superstition and the super natural. Things I might I sneer at yet people really seem to believe in , imo with no evidence or supporting observations. However it would piss off at least 1/2 the group....and to what purpose?
      I am guilty of sneering from time to time, but only at the willfully ignorant. Extreme stupidity is self- limiting: see Darwin awards. Gullibility is needed as antelope are a necessity to lions. Thing about antelope is they can be nothing else, but the gullible can get smarter.

Comment

It's not all their fault. It's a psychological sale, somewhat like "phishing". You really have to have to be strong in the right way to withstand it, if you are actually evaluating for a potential purchase.

The sales people have a very good patter, impressive to someone ignorant of (or unsure they recall) basic physics. And then, if people are resistant, and say they do not think there is any difference, the salesperson may simply say "Well, then you are not a customer for this product, which is fine, it's not your fault if you do not hear the improvement.", and then starts to slide them toward a noticeably down-scale product, without being too discreet about it.

The customer rapidly gets the hint and if they do not have the courage of their convictions, and are not immune to being essentially told they have tin ears, and ought to go buy a Sony, they start to DEMAND to be sold the gizmo, whatever it is.

If that does not work, there are other methods as well.

Nothing like a motivated customer who does not even want a salesman to pretend to think they are not as good as anyone else, and will spend money to defend themselves.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 11-13-2020, 01:49 AM.
        3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Oh my!. I feel like I might be in that party.

I dont want to be. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
            I am guilty of sneering from time to time, but only at the willfully ignorant. .
            I am sure we all are. There is no shortage of things to disdain, and I'd have close to allstar status in that arena, I should work more an not letting any of it concern me. However thinking the rest of the world just can't wait to hear about is where the wheels fall off the cart. Nobody wants to tune in to get the latest about what you or I don't like, scorn or sneer at....plus in the case of an advertiser there is potentially collateral damage to someone who's been very good to us.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              Nobody wants to tune in to get the latest about what you or I don't like, scorn or sneer at....plus in the case of an advertiser there is potentially collateral damage to someone who's been very good to us.
              You don't believe for a minute that AdChoices, AdSense or any of the other placement services provides anything but metrics to their advertisers? Do you?

Comment

Apples and oranges if you are talking about AdSense and this site. Things are a little more basic when it comes to the ads featured on this site. They are sold by our ad rep, the one who handles all the metal magazines. The ads are often sold in conjunction with print ads in the magazines.

People often assume that our ads track you or that we harvest all sorts of data from you. I'm the one who puts the ads up there and they consist of a png or jpg file and a link – that is all. The graphic address and link are tossed into a simple program that serves to rotate the ads. Yes, there may be tracking occurring at the other end of the link on the supplier's site, but our ads are about as dumb as they can be.

Most of the companies you see in the ads are very small – the hobby machining hobby is a tiny market. Because of this, we don't get much for the ads and it barely pays for the cost of the BBS, but it does pay. Without the ads, this site just looks like red numbers on management's spreadsheets.

Bashing suppliers to this hobby is not the same as bitching about Walmart. The market is tiny, your comments on the board can have a negative impact on both the suppliers and Village Press. Machinists come in all shapes and sizes and dumping on one of our advertisers just because the product doesn't make sense to you and your shop helps nobody and simply serves to harm the community in general.

George
                Traverse City, MI

Comment

These must bee same people convinced Covid is caused by 5g cell towers

Comment

Originally posted by aliva View Post
                    These must bee same people convinced Covid is caused by 5g cell towers
                    More than a few.

It's just the usual internet "heard" mentality...... I "heard" someone say the earth is really flat, and it's someone I pay attention to, so the earth must be flat.

We have our own versions... "carbide is of no use in the home workshop", "flat ways on a lathe are worthless", etc, etc........
                    3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

More than a few.

It's just the usual internet "heard" mentality...... I "heard" someone say the earth is really flat, and it's someone I pay attention to, so the earth must be flat.

We have our own versions... "carbide is of no use in the home workshop", "flat ways on a lathe are worthless", etc, etc........
                      Excellent!! I am in agreement, you may not like that JR

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
                        Bashing suppliers to this hobby is not the same as bitching about Walmart. The market is tiny, your comments on the board can have a negative impact on both the suppliers and Village Press. Machinists come in all shapes and sizes and dumping on one of our advertisers just because the product doesn't make sense to you and your shop helps nobody and simply serves to harm the community in general.
                        No truer statement can be made.

I actually have bought some stuff from the folks that PAY to advertise here.

And it is good. I would not say that otherwise.

Would be nice to show that the sales were a function of the advertising here. Some companies do ask how I landed on their site. They didnt ask, so no way to let them know their buck is well spent over here Seems there should be.

I am a happy customer. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

No truer statement can be made.

I actually have bought some stuff from the folks that PAY to advertise here.

And it is good. I would not say that otherwise.

Would be nice to show that the sales were a function of the advertising here. Some companies do ask how I landed on their site. They didnt ask, so no way to let them know their buck is well spent over here Seems there should be.

I am a happy customer. JR
                          Sorry, JR, but nothing could be FARTHER from the truth.

People read these pages to get honest opinions, not hype from someone shilling for a product. If a person feels a product is defective, overpriced or of no real use it deserves to be said here. And those with favorable opinions of the product should chime in as well. That way, one can read the pros and cons and decide for himself the worth of a product. Any advertiser who objects to this probably lacks confidence in his product line, and is not the type of advertiser that should be here. Hey, we could have Al Babin advertise here, and if nobody said anything negative about him he’d likely do very well.

You don’t get your news solely from Fox or MSNBC, do you? The smart person - at least occasionally - listens to both, and makes up his or her own mind.

Comment

No....lets put a positive spin on things.
                            JRouche, please tell what products you have purchased and how they were useful, saved time, money, etc.?

Comment

I have 4 of the Edge Technologies tool post drill chucks and really like them. I really like that they push directly against the tool post. They are really easy to set up. Each of their tools includes a 1/2" pin that just clamps in a 3 jaw. The tool post drill chuck clamps on to this pin and is tightened. This centers it. The downside is the chuck is 1/2" max.

Last picture. Using a drill offset on the tool post can push it out of alignment.

For what it is worth, I also have the tram tool. It is very rarely used as most of the stuff I do does not require perfect tram.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drill 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	1910702

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drill 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	1910703

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drill 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	1910704

Comment

I have Edge tailstock alignment bar.. Works well, does the job as intended

Comment

Working...
                                X