Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone notice that long links stretch the screen width !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone notice that long links stretch the screen width !

At least ones in the archive do. I actually had to do some horizontal scrolling after filling up the screen width because of a lengthy link in an old post. Den

Let me try it here:

(bogus link)

http://www.letsseeifthislinkislongen...gtoproveit.org

Darn ... it compressed the long link for viewing purposes. I'll find the archive link and post it.

Try this archive link and see what I mean:

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs...ad.php?t=15590
    Last edited by nheng; 03-26-2006, 12:05 AM.

what you are experiencing is a blown up thread. But in this condensed format it is viewable.
    Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

By "blown up link" are you referring to the middle of the link replaced with "..." for viewing purposes? If so, take the 2nd link to see what I'm referring to for forum behavior. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding here, I oughta be sleeping by now.

Comment

Me too. But the warden just called and she has locked herself out of her car. at work. Now I have to drive 20 miles and unlock her car and on top of that she would like dinner also as she could not pick it up due to the locked car. YES I am a wonderful husband........

The blowing up part is a trick used by Trolls to make a page almost unreadable by inserting a massive picture or a long link in a reply. These inserts are not wrappable by the bbs software so in essence they blow up the page.
        Last edited by JIMofalltrades031; 03-26-2006, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Ok, but I wonder why the old posts with long links blow up and my first link posted above does not. Must be the control that the new forum SW excersizes when a post is made.

Good luck with the warden Been there and done that, but with smoking Volvo high beam stalk switch and then again with Volvo eating alternator belt and then there was the Volvo eating an in-line fuel pump (all the same older Volvo). Haven't done the key thing yet

Comment

Been married to her since I was 19

This is not the first time.......Lord knows this is not the first time..
            I have even put backup keys in and around the car in magnetic boxes.
            She locks keys in car and then goes and gets backup key but doesn't PUT IT BACK!! she puts it in her pocket not even her purse and then it ends up in the dresser dish. I don't find out about it until.....She locks herself out again!!!

I should probably get her an onstar car but the monthly charges for unlocking will be more than the payment.
            I found out early in our marriage that it is not smart or safe to put her in a car older than 4 or 5yrs. She does not react well to breakdowns and such.

Comment

I'm going to try a few long line tests.

First, no line break.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lookee that, it puts in breaks anyway.

Next, a trick:

"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

It caught that too.

Next a sneaky trick:

Shifted spaces in quotes:

"// //"

It ignores the shifted spaces and removes them.

Next a reserved character:
              [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Gotcha Mr. programmer. Ya didn't think of that one did you?

That's why I do crash testing on software.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan:

you are EVIL!

I bet you have been thinking about that for two-three days, a little rest must have done you some good.
                Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Crash test duh...

"That's why I do crash testing on software."

Does that make you a crash test, uh, dummy? I should be so lucky.

Wes
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

That's great! Love it! No time for even smillies!

Nice wide look, way to go,
                    Gene

Comment

As a point of comparison for those using lower resolutions this just nicely fills my screen from side to side.

Comment

"As a point of comparison for those using lower resolutions this just nicely fills my screen from side to side."

Yep, me too, on my newest computer at home. (LCD screen) However, I logged on at work just before going home, and your previous post only was wider than all the rest. Have to try it on my other computer at the new house later.

Wes

Comment

Evan, So all you gotta do is put use a line of that character as your signature and every thread you reply to gets stretched ... perhaps a temporary fix Den

Comment

That would probably work but it wouldn't adjust to fit lower resolution screens. The real answer is to set the table size to 100% and that way it will automatically adjust to fill the screen regardless of what size it is.

The problem from VP's point of view is that the header graphics and ads are fixed width. That would also have to be dealt with.

Comment

OK. Here's what I found:
                              Apparently, different browsers handle screen widths differently. Firefox expands all posts to fit the widest one. IE expands only the wide post, so on this thread Evan, like the farmer, is out standing in his field if you are using IE.

Wes

Comment

Working...
                              X