What it could look like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it could look like...

I don't expect anybody to necessarily like my version but it is an example of how this BBS could be easily changed. I used a local style sheet to override some of the properties that the BBS uses. This isn't the same as turning off or substituting the page colors alone. I also overrode the table and table data properties to widen the display to full screen.

Unfortunately because of the way the page from the BBS is structured this is not a viable solution as it is highly dependent on the specific settings of the computer (mine) on which it is displayed.

This is a full screen shot reduced to half size taken from my 1024 x 768 LCD monitor.

Last edited by Evan; 03-26-2006, 02:31 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

yay i is famous mmm ok maybe not famous....
    Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Except for the green borders between the posts, that is what it looks like on my computer.

I am quite satisfied with what I have, and hope they don't screw it up because of a few whiners.
      Jim H.

Comment

That's how it looks on my computer, Evan, except for the color. - Jim

Comment

Evan,

The main problem is you're still using Infernal Exploder. Get a real browser and maybe your rants will have some credibility. http://www.getfirefox.com
          Leigh
          The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
          of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

Yup, that's how it looks on mine also.
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Leigh,

Firefox doesn't allow for user style sheets to replace the style sheet used by the web page. I do use Firefox but it wasn't capable for this experiment.

As for how it looks, the hack I have done will make it fill the full screen width regardless of the screen resolution used. For those that are already seeing it close to full width you are likely using a screen resolution of 800 x 600 which is what the BBS software is currently set up to fit.

JC,

I sell 19" wide screen LCD monitors and plan on getting one for home soon. With it you can display web pages at a width that in some cases eliminates even vertical scrolling if the web page isn't fixed in width to suit the lowest common denominator.

I like my information dense without a lot of irrelevant noise. It makes it much easier to see things in context. The current layout doesn't provide that. If it remains this way I won't use this site as much.

Comment

Not what it looks like on my computre.Ihave what looks like a continuous sheet of memo paper between two brown boarders.

If i switch to the pritable screen itffills the whole screen.
                Last edited by Rustybolt; 03-26-2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
                  Not what it looks like on my computre.Ihave what looks like a continuous sheet of memo paper between two brown boarders.

If i switch to the pritable screen itffills the whole screen.
                  I get a strip of display down the middle of the screen, with over an inch of olive drab blank at each side.

I also apparently do not have the "printable display" option, I have looked all over for it and searched the user control panel also...

OK, now I found the printable version, but it looks like I have to switch back in order to view a new post, do a reply, etc, etc,. All the buttons disappear

I'd have to select the thread, view it, switch to printable, read it, switch back, post reply or change threads, and repeat..... I DON"T THINK SO.....

Besides, printable gives an almost unformatted page of white with text on it..... kinda like dos editor...... bleeaagh
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 03-26-2006, 11:02 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Where is this printable display?
                    Tried in Firefox and IE but can't see it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John, The "printable version" is under the "Thread Tools" on the thread toolbar. If you have Javascript/Java enabled, the thread immediately changes view (but only for that thread). With Java disabled, you will go to another page after selecting "Thread Tools" and "printable..." is in the lower left area of the page. Den

Comment

I must be a little dense. I don't see what the big deal is about the width of the text. I read paperback books and they aren't as wide as a magazine. As far as that goes, Home Shop Machinist and Machinist Workshop have the pages split into 2 columns. I suspect that most magazines do that for a reason, like it's actually easier to read. What am I missing here?

Have some people wimped out to the point that moving the scroll wheel is too much work?

Comment

How would you feel about a book that only used the center third of the page for the text, with the rest white space? That is how it looks on my computer at work. Then imagine a reference book that did the same so that you were constantly flipping pages back and forth to read the same paragraph or table.

I have a suspicion that images may be turned off because many that have been posted will not fit this format. If that is the case then they may well not be turned on, a big loss to this forum.

Comment

Looks good to me...Good job to all JRouche

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yes, the PM site is more readable...... I agree.....

What you folks don't realize, is that THIS IS BETTER THAN THE OLD WAY.

A whole bunch of programmers worked hard to mess it up like this! Do you want their efforts to be for naught?

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X