Anyone hear of "Plasplugs" sharpener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hear of "Plasplugs" sharpener?

I picked this up today for 15 samolians. I'm always a sucker for the next best sharpener. So far I'm batting zero.
    Anyone ever come across a Plasplugs drill bit sharpener? Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201112_171949673.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	1910071

Originally posted by challenger View Post
    I picked this up today for 15 samolians. I'm always a sucker for the next best sharpener. So far I'm batting zero.
    Anyone ever come across a Plasplugs drill bit sharpener? Click image for larger version

Yeah, I have one. Its yellow I think. Shoulda hit me up, I woulda gave you mine Fun isnt it... JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Next time, go batting in a higher league. I've seen these or similar in supermarkets over the years, but have never been tempted.

Comment

Occasionally I get decent results with my Drill Dr, but I have to be holding my tongue in my cheek for that. Maybe try that?

(Really, the cheaper the drill grinder the worse the results. I have 4 systems - the Drill Dr, a Lisle 91000, a Christen 03-10 and a couple of Optima (what can I say - local gov lab and auctions). I still set up the Lisle for bigger drills, 1" and up but use mostly the Optima for 1/4" and up and the Christen for small drills. One of the Optima is set up to grind carbide, then other (with a point splitter) is setup for HSS. I've adapted a small diamond wheel to the point splitter to split carbide points.)

Comment

Originally posted by rkepler View Post
          (Really, the cheaper the drill grinder the worse the results. I have 4 systems - the Drill Dr, a Lisle 91000, a Christen 03-10 and a couple of Optima (what can I say - local gov lab and auctions).
          That Sir is impressive! Always wanted an Optima. They never get to my price range. Very nice. JR

Comment

Dont recognize the brand name, but i did have a drill sharpener like that. Mine had attachments for sharpening knives and scissors too. Didnt do it well, but it had the attachments!

Comment

I failed to get it to work, eventually throwing it, though I kept the grinding wheel I think, it was bloody hopeless to be honest
              mark

Comment

does that have some kind of cam?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                  does that have some kind of cam?
                  If you are talking about the one that I posted about then no.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
                    Dont recognize the brand name, but i did have a drill sharpener like that. Mine had attachments for sharpening knives and scissors too. Didnt do it well, but it had the attachments!
                    Yup, sharpens everything in your house and shop !

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

So it sharpens 18 fractional size drills.... what about letter and number drills ??? Will it also sharpen my can opener blade???

JL................

Comment

Stick to grinding by hand and use a gauge.

Comment

WAY back in my high school days (1955-59) we had a shop teacher that insisted we could all sharpen drill bits. And I got pretty good at it. But a few years ago I bought a Drill Dr 750 and I have learned how to get a decent sharping from it. the reason I like it is because sometimes drill bits get a little out of shape (both sides uneven) so I use it to get the bits back in tune. A few weeks ago I replaced the grinding wheel on it and that made a big difference. I saw one like challenger posted at a yard sale last summer and almost bought it, but as bad as I hate to pass up another tool, I let it go. The seller said he did not like it.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                          Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
                            Thats right! Forgot but there was a whole slew of things you could get with it. Small table saw thingy is what I remember.

See, we are all mostly proficient with "real" tools and that system looks somewhat incapable for us.

No, think about some Granny somewhere that doesnt even have a garage and want to do some simple light weight stuff. It might be ideal for her.

There is a place for everything. I think mine ended up in the garbage which is very odd. I never throw anything away. JR

Comment

I have not heard of that name, but I've seen several models that looked like that. Like most tools there is a technique that works and techniques that don't work.

Dan
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X