Best hacksaw blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hacksaw blade

I've been using Lenox Bimetal blades for a long time, and finally snagged a few teeth out of my last 18 tooth one. Went on line looking for a good price on some new ones, and was amazed by the plethora of brands available. I guess it's been quite a while since I had to buy blades. Now I have to wonder if I should be looking at some other brand. What say you? Do you have a favorite?
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

As my Dad used to say, never get off a galloping horse.
    If they have worked well for years and your happy with Lennox then why change.
    I have them and they are good blades.
    Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Good point.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Sandvik

Comment

I'm still working through a pack of Morse 14/18t bimetal blades I got years ago. They work well, even on pretty hard stuff, and don't seem to shed teeth too readily. The hacksaws get alot less use now I have a 4x6 though

Comment

Sandvik+1

Comment

I tend to use Eclipse all hard - they stretch less than bi metal IME so cut straighter as you can add more tension.
              Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

STARRETT have been good as well.

Comment

I have not used a Sandvik, but I have used all the others mentioned. I used a Starrett today, just a few minutes ago actually. I think the 'trick' these days is making sure you use a genuine blade by any of these makers, and not a fake copy.

I have used a Sandvik file- that's been the best file I've ever had.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I've used Lennox blades for years, mainly because that's what the local industrial hardware store carries. But they have always been a good quality blade. I have three hacksaws in my shop each one has a different type blade on it. I grabbed the one I need when I need it.
                    I've snagged a few teeth broke a few here and there. When the blades get dull I just replace them they're not that expensive.

JL.....

Comment

Locally along with the usual cheaper mystery brands I've got Starrett, Irwin and Lennox as options which at various times I've bought and used. At present between the two spots where I use hacksaws I've got four saws so I don't have to switch from coarse to fine. I've got 2 Lennox, 1 Irwin and a Starrett in use currently.

The Starrett blade is my first and it's too early to say how it compares well to Lennox. The Irwin blades are a far cry from the Lennox but still far better than the "no name" stuff. If Irwin is the only thing you can find on the rack beside the no name option I'd go with it. But if a 10 minute extra drive will get you to where you can buy Lennox I'd say it's time and gas well spent.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Lowes sells Lenox, but they are quite a ways from my home. Fortunately, I have to make a trip today that will take me right by one of their stores. I'll pick up the 6 piece set that sells for $9.98. 2 each 18,24, and 32 tpi. Perfect for 3 saws.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

can't say I've noticed much of difference from one blade to another, but I picked one of the high tension frames recently....that makes a difference
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            can't say I've noticed much of difference from one blade to another, but I picked one of the high tension frames recently....that makes a difference
                            Your endorsement lacks warmth!...... It makes a really HUGE difference. As in it turns a crummy tool into a really useful tool that works very well, and is often quicker than walking down the "hall" to the bandsaw.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                              I've been using Lenox Bimetal blades for a long time, and finally snagged a few teeth out of my last 18 tooth one. Went on line looking for a good price on some new ones, and was amazed by the plethora of brands available. I guess it's been quite a while since I had to buy blades. Now I have to wonder if I should be looking at some other brand. What say you? Do you have a favorite?
                              Well thats a neat story and I can relate 100%.

These are 24tpi. I also have used the Lennox blades at work so and they are top notch. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	Disston.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1910400

Comment

Working...
                              X