• Show
Clear All

Dian, this is the stuff. SAE10W.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030943.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1911353

Of course most shapers operate as a total loss system on the ram's slide. With the 10W shown and with the ram's link to the scotch arm loose I can actually move the slide. It's still needs a good push but it does move. With thicker oil the viscous drag makes that impossible. And yes, the gib screws are all set with care. The oil coming out is as clear as it went in.

I admit that I'm winging it a bit here. In any of the few books I've found that mention shapers they all say to oil correctly but there's been zero mention of any types of oil. So I tried it with thicker oil first but when the ram felt glued in place I went with this 10W and let the ram move and kept oiling until it flushed out the thicker oil and I could move the ram by hand for making adjustments.

If anyone has manuals on similar size shapers that actually specify proper weight oils to use I'd be grateful.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The internet must be getting a little more friendly. I just found a manual on the Elliot 10M which is at least roughly the same size as my Alba and JCByrd's new Shape-Rite.

It mentions Shell Vitrea 33. That translates across after some looking to ISO 68. And that translates to SAE20W. I'll have to check around and see if I can find some and give it a try. The thicker oil I used previously was the way oil for the lathe. And that was far too sticky.

And along with that manual is a few other books on shaper operations that I'm sure many of us will find useful. I don't know where this was hiding or if I found it earlier on and forgot about it. But it's here now.....

http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books..._book_page.htm
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

interesting, its a kind of weirdo and i didnt find it on castrols usa site. i only get two hits when googling, for this at graingers and lubriplate 10w. there is no 10w, 20w 30w in the sae classification (if anybody knows otherwise, please tell). 10 "weight" is simply a colloquial way of referring to sae 10 (grade), mostly corresponding to iso 32. its a shame that even manufacturers apparently help to keep up confusion about oils, perhaps even on purpose.

(sorry for the rant and highjack.)
        Last edited by dian; 11-21-2020, 03:47 AM.

Comment

The "W" may be just a way of referring to "weight".

There is of course a real designation of say, 20W-50, which would be an oil that acts like 20 "weight" in a specific cold temperature, and like 50 "weight" at 100 degrees. The "20w" seems to have nothing to do with that, and I would just call it SAE 20 oil, or "straight 20 weight", meaning it is not a dual viscosity type like 20W-50.
          1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            Dian, this is the stuff. SAE10W.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030943.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1911353
            Well I'll be darned. I was looking for 10W non-detergent a while back, but like Dian, I couldn't find anything.

Comment

We're so used to motor oils being dual viscosity these days that I think many of us don't realize or have forgotten that buying 30W single weight was at one time a real thing. It was still commonly found on the shelves back when I was a kid and early teen. So 10W, 20W and others was/is still apparently an option if you know where to find it.

The 10W shown came from the far end of a line of detergent style motor oils. I wonder if it is intended for small engines with no filtering option. I've read where non detergent in that case is not a bad idea as any particles can then settle and glue themselves to the bottom of the crankcase instead of being kept in suspension by the detergents found in most motor oils where you want to float the stuff until the filter can do its job.

The muscle spasm in my back that has kept me mostly chair bound for a couple of days is good to go now. Better living through DRUGS (Ibuprofen for the WIN) ! ! ! I desperately need to go food shopping and pick up a couple of other things. I'll stop by the same store and see what they have for non detergent oil at that same end of the shelves.....
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The nondetergent usually will have an "ND" as part of the description, like "ND30", or will say "Non-Detergent" somewhere obvious on the front. I have found 30 at the local "Autozone" store. For anything lighter, I use "Hydraulic jack oil" which seems to be around SAE 10. It is non-detergent, but is not really a motor oil, so does not have the other additives.
                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Dan'l, in post #56, the pic of the shaper with two belts, each on a different size sheave looks very wrong. The belts would wear and squeal, resulting in belts wearing out. Did my eyes play tricks on me? Did anyone else notice this?
                  Sarge41

Comment

In the US NAPA auto parts used to stock 10 weight nondetergent oil. They no longer do. But you can still buy 30 weight ND there.
                    Many machines are actually lubricated with hydraulic fluid designed for lubricating. Shell Tellus, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                      Dan'l, in post #56, the pic of the shaper with two belts, each on a different size sheave looks very wrong. The belts would wear and squeal, resulting in belts wearing out. Did my eyes play tricks on me? Did anyone else notice this?
                      Sarge41
                      That was the exact point of Dan's post, which is the reason for post #57.

Comment

Working...
                      X