X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I would rather have the surface flat.

-D
    It will be flat ! I certainly wouldn't use an angle grinder by hand !

Put a flap disc on a mandrel. Put the mandrel in the mill chuck and away you go ! I do that when I need a bit of a polish on a surface.
    Best Regards:
    Baron J

Comment

Here is a horrible question 😁, what about putting a donut style wheel in the mill and grinding the plate? Just a random thought...

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
        I was one of those guys you would take it to.. except I did them on a B,port type mill.. some heads are done on the lathe.
        a certain type of head was prone to sometime pulling the cast in thread inserts.. on them you resurface , then knock about 10 thou off the inserts , in case they pull a bit...... my theory is....if they leak, folks hope that extra torque will fix it , it usually wont.
        some heads I only took 3 to 5 thou off.... they specify..least material removed. ... this involves careful indicator work and shimming., then fly cut to finish.
        I worked in the bike biz for 13 years. Honda Ducati Suzuki. The few times I had a head resurfaced they used a big diesel size head surfacing machine. A grinder, and IIRC it was a Rottler.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
          Here is a horrible question 😁, what about putting a donut style wheel in the mill and grinding the plate? Just a random thought...
          Its unlikely that your mill would be fast enough for a grinding wheel ! Yes it will take some material off but will load up very quickly. My mill will do 2500 rpm and that is barely fast enough even for a flap disc.
          Best Regards:
          Baron J

Comment

Bad pic.. but you can see the finish, bar is sticking out at least 1 1/4 on a 3.5 or Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-24-15-51-22.png
Views:	60
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	1912102 4 inch head, getting a great finish . Looks like around 120 rpm.
            A2 tool steel

Comment

Working...
            X