This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essentials for lock down time.

It looks as if we will be returning to a severe lockdown in the near future.
    I have tried to stock up on essentials but expect I have missed a few items, How have the rest of you managed and what advice have you got based on your experience?
    Regards David Powell.

Goes 30 posts before closing.

Comment

We did not go overboard the last time, and will do the same this time. We usually buy paper goods when they are on sale at Costco, so we have a dozen rolls of paper towels and half dozen packages of TP. That's enough to get to the next time Costco has them on sale. We have similar supplies for most disposable items that we use daily. We are in the habit of adding things to the shopping list each time we use up a package, so that gives us many weeks to find a replacement for what we've used.

We still have LOTS of cleaners, masks and gloves left from the last panic.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Essentials? What did you run out of last time? What was difficult to find locally?
        Depends on whether you lock yourself away at home or if you are an essential worker and leave home several days a week.
        A general suggestion: lots of contraceptives, we don't need another baby-boom to follow the lockdown, 9 months later.
        Last edited by reggie_obe; 11-13-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Scotch. Everything else will follow. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	scotch.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1910357
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Food √
            Booze √
            Firewood √
            Generator , fuel √
            Guns √
            Lots of Ammo √

Nice Scotch JR
            Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
              Food √
              Booze √
              Firewood √
              Generator , fuel √
              Guns √
              Lots of Ammo √

Nice Scotch JR
              Glad to see you have Food ahead of Booze lol!

Comment

I must have been a bit sleepy, I was meaning for the workshop, not for the other part of life. Regards David Powell

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                  I must have been a bit sleepy, I was meaning for the workshop, not for the other part of life. Regards David Powell
                  Oh.... I found a while back that I could turn a ball point pen out of a bar of 2 inch diameter stock, but that it was VERY wasteful and time consuming. So I suggest stocking up on stock in 1/4 or 1/2 inch increments. It's often cheaper to do it that way too.

If you can't get to the hardware store, what items do you usually buy there? Nuts, bolts and screws are a common reason for a trip to Lowes. You can make your own fasteners quickly from a nut and a length of all-thread. Add a torch / welder and you can get quite creative.

I don't use a lot of expendables. Top off the gas for the welders is a good idea. Gasoline for the generators is not a bad idea.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                    Oh mine was a Joke.

I have been a "raw materials" hoarder for the shop for about 15 years. We moved here 20 years ago. Took some time to plumb the "nest" with 220 and air everywhere.

It is (new metal with tags) was on deep, deep discount I bought it. Knowing I will want it when I cant afford it.

That day is today.

Its always good to Squirrel away some money for the cold days.

Mine is metal. Love the stuff.... JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Check the consumables like welding gas, oil, brake cleaner and fasteners. FFP2/3 masks if needed for shop work.

Comment

A lockdown would be a good time to learn a new CAD system, or get really proficient with the one you use now.

While you're at it, a couple of extra kilos of FDM filament will help keep the boredom away when you have to stay home.

Comment

Now would be the time to prepare for a lengthy project that you haven't started, because you couldn't dedicate enough time to make any real progress. Get all your materials, develop a work plan, etc.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much, Toronto will never go into full lock down. Anything you use in the shop is commercial in nature and Ford would consider it essential. Or drive to Barrie.

Comment

I don't remember the USA ever having had a lockdown.

Comment

Working...
                              X