This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post

I agree for Australia there is some advantage in being an island; however that is a bit of a cop out for USA. USA has oceans each side and good neighbours with controlled borders top and bottom.

It is also interesting to see that S-E Asia developing countries got their sh*t together and Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia have almost no cases lately.

Here in Europe map is turning to dark red everywhere around Finland. Dunno how long the good situation is going to last here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
      Goes 30 posts before closing.
      Your wrong..

For us living outside the city we are prepared for most. A week without power is no big deal so 'lockdown' is a piece of cake.

lg
      no neat sig line

near Salem OR

Comment

Sounds bad in North Dakota, I wish them the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
          It is also interesting to see that S-E Asia developing countries got their sh*t together and Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia have almost no cases lately.
          Or lying through their teeth about COVID infection rates and death totals, like China.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Or lying through their teeth about COVID infection rates and death totals, like China.
            I have reasonable confidence that we are getting accurate reporting of counts ex China. 8 x cases a day; 4634 deaths thus far.

Comment

Apparently they were lying like anything early on, so we can't be sure.

But china does have an advantage.... people who won't cooperate may just disappear..... and they have drones operating and watching people, so they can hover one over old granny and tell her to go back home and put on a mask. Of she does not, she may be collected and taken elsewhere.

Not happening here, and research seems to suggest that the attitude is that "i'm gonna get it anyway, so what's the difference" for some, "you can't tell me what to do" for others, "If I get it I get it" for still others, and various versions of "I belong to X religion so I won't get it" for the rest.

"You can't tell me what to do" is big here in the rural areas. So now, the hospitals here are full, mostly with folks sent in from those rural areas. "No more room, take your car accident injured somewhere else, please."

We are about 2 weeks from the hospitals having to just send some very sick people home, because they may likely not make it no matter what, and take a lot of resources that are needed for folks who can survive.
              3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

NYC hospitals which were once packed with COVID patients on respirators are now back to normal. They expect that a proven vaccine will be available for Emergency room staff, EMTS and doctors by early spring.
                My COVID antibody test results came back negative although I had been in close proximity to many infected persons.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

China is too big red flag (pun intented) to comment here but based on what I have heard from Thailand they took this thing pretty seriously from get-go.
                  (Wifey is from Thailand and her father works for law enforcement over there.)

Comment

OK, back to topic:
                    Stock up on nitrile gloves for shop use if supplies are anything like in here! Most medical suppliers sell "no have".
                    Was just talking with one cleanroom engineer and he said that getting long cuff nitrile gloves has been lately almost impossible.
                    They have to resort to "garden variety" hardware store nitrile gloves even if they are not exactly cleanroom approved.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                      They have to resort to "garden variety" hardware store nitrile gloves even if they are not exactly cleanroom approved.
                      Complete with the powder usually put in those? Ouch, BIG ouch for cleanroom.
                      3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Complete with the powder usually put in those? Ouch, BIG ouch for cleanroom.
                        Nitrile gloves seem to be usually powder free in here. Yeah, powdered gloves would be BIG ouch.
                        No doubt his shopping was for powder free gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post
                          Here in Australia we are at near zero locally acquired cases. Leakage from hotel quarantine for overseas arrivals have caused a couple of issues
                          What are you talking about!

You have a population of, Nuthing..

One County, Los Angeles (most affected with covid) has half your pop. 10,079,000

Apples and oranges man. JR

Edit: I meant to add Australia is not a small Country. Maybe 800-900 thousand square miles smaller than all of the US.

Now if it was the UK? Different story. And they also seem to have a nice lock down of this chit.

I just would like to see some normality. For others, not myseflt. I didnt go anywhere before and kinda like the deserted feeling I get when I go on my walk.

Problem is we are a service based system. No service, no income. I feel for these people. Thts all- JR

Last edited by JRouche; 11-21-2020, 12:03 AM.
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

lockdown shop essentials is sort of a bad/badder/baddest news, good news thing

bad news; I’ve been moving the shop to our vacation/weekend/second/eventually-retirement home and it’s mostly there.
                            Badder news, son is getting divorced & is living there, with two of our granddaughters who go to daycare (a good place to spread diseases even before covid).
                            Baddest news, because the kids are really good vectors for bringing Covid into the house ... plus the hassles and so on of traveling back and forth, (eg the states where we have both our primary and secondary homes each have mandatory 14-day quarantines on people arriving from the other state) we’ve decided to ride out the worst of the lockdown in our primary home...

the good news?
                            I may just _have_ _to_ set up a shop again in the primary home ... Amazon, Micromark, McMaster, etc, here I come ;-)

(Statistics nerd mode on )
                            Covid statistics (which I get from worldometers.info):
                            yesterday the us had a total of 12,275,000 cases of COVID or 37,000/million. We had 260,000 deaths, 785/million.

Australia had 27,800 cases (1,086/million) and 906 deaths (35/million)

the UK had 1,473,00 cases (21661/million) and 54286 deaths (798/million)

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
                              lockdown shop essentials is sort of a bad/badder/baddest news, good news thing

bad news; I’ve been moving the shop to our vacation/weekend/second/eventually-retirement home and it’s mostly there.
                              Badder news, son is getting divorced & is living there, with two of our granddaughters who go to daycare (a good place to spread diseases even before covid).
                              Baddest news, because the kids are really good vectors for bringing Covid into the house ... plus the hassles and so on of traveling back and forth, (eg the states where we have both our primary and secondary homes each have mandatory 14-day quarantines on people arriving from the other state) we’ve decided to ride out the worst of the lockdown in our primary home...

the good news?
                              I may just _have_ _to_ set up a shop again in the primary home ... Amazon, Micromark, McMaster, etc, here I come ;-)

(Statistics nerd mode on )
                              Covid statistics (which I get from worldometers.info):
                              yesterday the us had a total of 12,275,000 cases of COVID or 37,000/million. We had 260,000 deaths, 785/million.

Australia had 27,800 cases (1,086/million) and 906 deaths (35/million)

the UK had 1,473,00 cases (21661/million) and 54286 deaths (798/million)
                              Unlike normal influenza daycare age kids don’t seem like big factor with covid spread.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                                You have a population of, Nuthing..

One County, Los Angeles (most affected with covid) has half your pop. 10,079,000

Apples and oranges man. JR
                                Over five million people live in greater Sydney. No, we aren't packed in like sardines, but most of Australia is empty.

Comment

Working...
                                X