ER collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit I had one data point,
    which was a $250 set of collets from Z-Live Center.
    (goofy name I know). Supposed to be be "better"
    quality import collets. I figured the cheaper sets
    for $125 or less had to be pulling the same trickery
    with the sizes thing. I will be ordering the MariTool
    set, just because I don't want to play with this cheap
    set. One thing about them, the run-out is really good.
    Between .0002 and .0003", checked on a gauge pin
    and spun on a Vee block.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

what/how did you spin it in the v-block?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno Mueller View Post
        Hello all,
        This type of collets was developed by the Schaublin company from Switzerland.
        There are different collets of this type.The most common ones do not have an ejector slot and have to be ejected from behind. The collets for milling cutter chucks all have the ejector slot and also need the corresponding nut.
        Collets without a slot cannot be clamped with the nuts of the cutter chucks. The collets with the ejector slot can still be clamped with the old nuts.
        This is interesting, Bruno. I picked up a number of new-old Schaublin collets without the ejector slot, labelled "ES32". They are otherwise identical to the ER32 collets, but I couldn't find any other information about them. I wondered whether to grind an ejector slot into them, but ended up turning the eccentric flange out of an ER32 closing nut and making a "bopper" to push through the headstock mandrel and drive them out. It works for me. I might add that I have found the ball-bearing type of closing nut significantly reduces the amount of grunt necessary to tighten things up.

George B.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          I admit I had one data point,
          Good of you to admit it, but you've rocked my world. I didn't figure for one of those who make statements unless they knew??
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Good of you to admit it, but you've rocked my world. I didn't figure for one of those who make statements unless they knew??
            I have also seen in the HHIP tools catalog where they list 2 different inch size collets as the same part number.
            I have a buddy with a ER collet set (cheap set) that also has the inch fitting size problem.
            We have a set at work that they just threw out and ordered an ETM brand set from MSC because they were sick of them.
            Sooooo, just one personal data point, but I have seen others having trouble with cheap sets of ER collets as well.

-D
            DZER

Comment

For another personal data point: I have a set of Techniks ER20 inch collets from 3/32" to 1/2". They are clearly in inch sizes and not re-labeled metric ones. Take that for what it's worth.

Comment

You guys are weird, so am I. Dozzer could be ok. Remember, these are euro collets.

You guys are missing the Chuck size. Idiots. All Metric probably.

The chuck is what determines, not the flukin collet. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

As a side note....
                  I was trying to buy a ER40 to 3 Morse taper adapter, with 3/8-16 drawbar.
                  I bought one from ABS Import Tools in California.
                  It was an HHIP brand China model.
                  Try to find an adapter in the size specs that I wanted in a quality brand
                  was not happening. Just not a lot of market I guess.
                  Anyhow I got it and sent it back a few times for a different one
                  to try and get one with acceptable run-out.
                  I finally got one with .0003" (3 tenths) runout, and I thought that was OK.
                  I kinda expect precision on something like this is a crap shoot.
                  ABS Import Tools was good about sending me another one.
                  I would have gladly paid more for a good one, out the gate, but as I said
                  not everyone has this size.

---Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

The problem with the Morse tapers is a very special one. In the industry this taper is hardly used anymore. Widespread are SK cones (steep tapers).
                    For the few users who still use Morse tapers, the market is very limited.
                    The ER collets are widely used. There are several manufacturers. But usually you only get what you pay for. Brand name collets from Regofix (successor to Schaublin) cost four times as much as cheap collets from the Far East.

Many greetings from Germany
                    Bruno
                    http://www.mueller-bruno.de

Comment

I have just bought some er25 collets from APT a company in the UK. They sell three grades, the middle was plenty good enough for me. The top grade is industrial quality, but still affordable, especially for the most used size of tools. I use R8 holders and one of the mills at the museum has no pins in the spindle, which means I can try different positions for the sweet spot if I want to.
                      Last edited by old mart; 11-21-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X