OT: Dexpan works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Dexpan works

I have this left over concrete foundation in my yard from a previous building that I tore down because it was too far gone to save. I'm going to build a new shop building there, but the old slab needs to go first.

Site is too tight to get a large excavator in to demo the slab, a 60hp machine was tried, but didn't have enough arse to curl the edge of the foundation up. I took a hammer drill with a 1/2" bit and probed the depth of the slab moving in from the edge in 4" increments. Best I can tell it has a 12" x 20" footer around the perimeter and 3" mean thickness in the field.

I borrowed a big hammer drill and a 1-1/8" bit and set out yesterday morning drilling a W grid of holes 3/4 of the 12" depth in the footer. I blew the dust out of the holes, mixed the Dexpan according to the instructions and poured the holes full. Went out this morning and checked the progress, broke like a china plate! I got about 20 feet of one side of the foundation busted up and loose, now we should be able to get the smaller excavator under it and roll it up.

Dexpan isn't cheap, it was $75 for 22lbs which filled 32 holes 1-1/8 x 9" deep. However it was a lot cheaper than all day with a jackhammer and compressor or renting an excavator with a hammer on it. Good to have something work as advertised
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Good job. First time hearing about the product.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I've seen Dexpan being used and it is impressive. I have a small bag of it that I intend to use on some granite in the yard. When I get around to it.

I know that this is being pedantic, but I'm almost certain that what you used was a "rotary hammer", not a "hammer drill". 32 holes 1-1/8 x 9" is not something that a hammer drill can reasonably do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
        I've seen Dexpan being used and it is impressive. I have a small bag of it that I intend to use on some granite in the yard. When I get around to it.

I know that this is being pedantic, but I'm almost certain that what you used was a "rotary hammer", not a "hammer drill". 32 holes 1-1/8 x 9" is not something that a hammer drill can reasonably do.
        This was an older Bosch 1-5/8 capacity "rotary hammer drill". Spline drive, only does positive rotation, no selector for hammer only, bullet proof tool. I had one of the newer ones that have the selector- piece of junk, another example of a mfg trying to cram too many features into one tool.

Comment

Dexpan is OK and it works but dynamite is a whole lot more fun!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            Yes, and Dupont spinners are a lot more fun for fishing l

Comment

Very cool. I love it when the product says and actually does. Nice.. JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The stuff works really well, the pressure is mind boggling, thousands of pounds pressure out of a bucket of slop, mind the last curry I had had a similar effect, Brussels sprout curry could break cast iron
                mark
                red dwarf, listers Brussels sprout vindaloo
                Last edited by boslab; 11-15-2020, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  The stuff works really well, the pressure is mind boggling, thousands of pounds pressure out of a bucket of slop, mind the last curry I had had a similar effect, Brussels sprout curry could break cast iron
                  mark
                  Now thats funny. I love Curries, all of them. Funny how so many nationalities have curry. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    Yes, it is fun, unfortunately the paperwork associated with it these days isn't......that and it's a bit trickier to use less than 20 feet from the neighbor's parked cars

Comment

Depending where you are, you could have pushed plastic baggies into the hole, then filled the bags with water, then waited for a cold night!

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
                        Depending where you are, you could have pushed plastic baggies into the hole, then filled the bags with water, then waited for a cold night!
                        So true!

For example where I am at it might be 150 to 150,000 years before I can freeze liquids open air style.

It just doesnt get that chilly for ice making, yet. JR

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Yes, it is fun, unfortunately the paperwork associated with it these days isn't......
                          You know, that makes me wonder if a binary explosive like tannerite wouldnt work for the same purpose... Not technically an explosive according to the ATF so you dont need a license, readily available, safe as far as explosives go. Biggest problem would be rigging a detonator, but if youre working far enough away from civilization you could just blow it as intended

Comment

What is Dexpan made of? Bentonite?

Comment

On their site was calcium oxide, no doubt mixed with magic of some sort
                              mark

Comment

Working...
                              X