No announcement yet.

Is side work inevitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy the work and don't always have something of my own that needs doing, so a little side work is welcome. If it's for a good friend, when he asks how much, my answer is "Your undying gratitude and a favor to be named later." All others pay cash (cash only, no receipt, no paper trail). My rate is the same whether I'm repairing computers or cutting metal, $60/hr. The profit margin is much higher on computer repair. People who whine soon discover that I don't return their calls.
    It's all mind over matter.
    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Just a side note, and somewhat ironic in nature.
      I had a Patent model machining business for several years. I consulted and built patent models for inventors
      My rate was pay me now $$$ or pay me later with a % of the commercial profits
      Most all signed agreements to pay (2 %) later .... but one..... and He had the most far out idea,
      He had no knowledge of how to build his idea ,but wanted to build his test model for a few hundred dollars ( small and simple) and pay up front
      I thought he was nuts but the small job was done...guess what.. It was a smashing success a few years later - for him, not me
      Another inventor who became a close friend had an idea that to this day would revolutionize the plastic pipe industry
      It was the proverbial "million dollar idea" and I spent hundreds of freebie machining hours on it hoping to cash in someday.
      Well, 2 companies did production runs with his product and said they had never seen anything like it - it was superb !
      But ( there is always a "But") to make it commercially available, it would take millions of $ to change industry standards !
      So the greatest invention I worked on was successful but no money backing (big dollars) and the one I thought
      was a joke and took payment turned out to be a real money maker...
      All I can say is I met some real jokers in that business....and not the two I mentioned here.
      Spent more time rejecting business than accepting
      Rich

PS edit
      You would be amazed at how many people believe that perpetual motion is a reality
      Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 11-18-2020, 01:05 PM.
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
        PS edit
        You would be amazed at how many people believe that perpetual motion is a reality
        I've got a buddy to this day who thinks that. Its funny really. He's not stupid. He has invented a couple small things, and made product improvements that he got patents on. They are good well thought out and functional. Sometimes I think when he gets on a perpetual motion kick he is just yanking my chain, but he gets seriously annoyed when you start poking holes in his theories. For his day job he runs an extend-a--hoe cleaning out irrigation canals. He spends all day thinking up ideas while he sits in the machine mucking out aquatic growth.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I took perpetual motion prototype making money for years... you have to eat... and what liability risk... if it never happens or works , not much risk..
          the hard part.. you got to keep a straight face..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            I took perpetual motion prototype making money for years... you have to eat... and what liability risk... if it never happens or works , not much risk..
            the hard part.. you got to keep a straight face..
            As the old saying goes..."A fool and his money are soon parted."

Comment

I got to say this, one guy kept dabbling till probably 88 years old or older.. he was slowing down, eventually couldn't remember his phone number.
              but you know, him having his dream, kept him going a long time.. he used to laugh about his brother who was in a an old age home, said it made him old... then he would say not like me and jump ant try to click his heels... ... still see his son in law often , hel he has more than 15 years on me...

Comment

And even more amazed at how many of them are on this forum.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Speaking of things that have wildly extreme success while you scratch your head in disbelief, is Youtubers. The top earners have the dumbest channels, then you realize that Idiocracy is real and the public is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                    Speaking of things that have wildly extreme success while you scratch your head in disbelief, is Youtubers. The top earners have the dumbest channels, then you realize that Idiocracy is real and the public is stupid.
                    Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? That explains it pretty well.
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

PS edit
                      Thats hilarious! I would have enjoyed seeing some of those models. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I did some work once for a guy building a 2x72 belt sander in exchange for a pile of aluminum stock, but also to practice a few things that I wanted to get better at. That all worked well, but then I somehow became his "machinist" and whenever he wanted something done he'd say he'd "just drop it round and pick it up later", just without any money changing hands. A new axle for a contact wheel was the last straw, told him I wouldn't be free for 6mths as I had too many projects on. I'm all for helping people out, but sometimes they don't get the hint that there has to be some reciprocity involved eventually, either in favours, barter or money.

Now another friend is a great DIY meat smoker, so whenever I help him out with his car we get a giant lump of delicious smoked meat. We're both happy with that deal

Comment

I do a lot of machining for free as a mentor to the local FIRST Robotics team. It is important to pass on what we spent so much time and money to learn. Amazing what today's kids don't know. Was trying to explain a cam to them the other day!

Comment

I very much dislike the 'business' side of it- I'm not in business anymore, and I'm not soliciting projects. I get asked to do things all the time, and I do like to help people out- but I don't have 3 hours to waste for 20 bucks, or 10 hours for maybe 100 bucks. I just want to say no now, all the time. I have enough of my own things to follow up on and get done. But- just the other day I came up with a couple pedal boxes for two people who wanted me to make these for them. It won't end until I do.

I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The question is "Is Side Work Inevitable?"
                              Death? Yup, for all of us.
                              Taxes? Sure, for most of us.
                              Side Work? Not in the least.
                              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

My shop is my second income. It has payed for itself quite well. But I manage it that way. I don’t usually deal with what I feel is a questionable person or idea. My customer base is established businesses and that I’ve worked with for years. New business often comes from word of mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X