Is side work inevitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mklotz View Post

And even more amazed at how many of them are on this forum.
    Kinda odd. I have always looked up to you while on this site.
    Never to downtrodden anyone. No matter the Subject.

Feel delated. All good. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
      ---------"And even more amazed at how many of them are on this forum.-"----------
      Kinda odd. I have always looked up to you while on this site.
      Never to downtrodden anyone. No matter the Subject.

Feel delated. All good. JR
      Au Contraire my friend, I thought that Marv's comment was one of the funniest postings ever made here. I laughed the whole time 😀

Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Re Perpetual Motion...
        What I always found wild was the , amazingly complex drawing these fellows would have that they conjured up..
        I never told them I believed in it.. one guy was a huge magnet fan... and I would say this , they have properties that are a bit hard to grasp at times... for my feeble mind.... I meant..

Comment

I have a 1952 Harley Panhead, and I occasionally do things for other antique bike owners, like repairing a fuel valve and installing a PEEK tip on the rod, or rewinding an old cutout relay coil.

I certainly won't get rich on what I charge, but I enjoy the work, as it is helping to keep these old machines on the road.

Comment

We had a guy at the refinery that believes in “cold energy”. To him, when something cools off, it’s not a lack of a heat source or the lessening of molecular movement. It’s a force all its own that creates a lower temperature and works against a heat source like a furnace or reboiler. Fortunately he was not an engineer but he did reach “Control Board Operator” level. His ideas about maintaining normal conditions in a running unit were unique to say the least and no amount of advice or arguing about things were appreciated. He was disciplined twice for insubordination and refusing to run test procedures at a Process Engineer’s request. He constantly expected me to machine, for free, nicknacks he designed that could be substituted by off the shelf items at a dollar store.

I’m doing a side job today for a guy on a motorcycle forum. For the last 5 years I have done one free job, twice a year, for someone who needs something machined for an older Sportster that if he were to go to a pay shop would not be worth their time or wind up being way too expensive for what it actually is.
            When I lived in NJ I had dozens of biker pals and did all kinds of side jobs and custom parts. Some for free and most for pay. I even had constraints put on me by outlaw clubs that said I had to let them have any new and different stuff first. It sucks being on a leash.

Where I am now I keep a low profile and stay away from that poop. I have recently done some stuff for an engineering student at UTEP. He’s the son of a former coworker, a fine young man and interesting to speak to through masks on the driveway.
            Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
            9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

“Control Board Operator”
              Not at a Nuclear Power Plant I hope?!
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

No work for me other than some odd jobs for friends. I've welded mower parts, drilled out holes in hitches, cut key ways in go cart axles. Making a business of it would ruin the fun for me. If I really wanted $$ I would do IT work on the side, there is more money in it.
                Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Not at a Nuclear Power Plant I hope?!
                  Hey, If Homer Simpson can do it.....
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                    No work for me other than some odd jobs for friends. I've welded mower parts, drilled out holes in hitches, cut key ways in go cart axles. Making a business of it would ruin the fun for me. ...........
                    If you could get $100 per hour for it, that might change your mind.
                    1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post

Au Contraire my friend, I thought that Marv's comment was one of the funniest postings ever made here. I laughed the whole time 😀

Rich
                      Well you may gain some enjoyment from one of our Members Disparaging another Member(s) I dont agree.

Maybe because he replied to your post? Dunno.

If that was the funniest thing for a while you may need to step away from the keyboard. Sir!! Just step away. There is better humor out there

I dont like to see folks bashing on our members or benefactors.

I dont care if you dont like me calling you out on it. See. I just dont care. I will in fact stand up for our members and VP any time of the day, see. JR

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                      You would be amazed at how many people believe that perpetual motion is a reality

--------

mklotz replied

11-18-2020, 04:02 PM

And even more amazed at how many of them are on this forum.
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Let us differentiate between "low hanging fruit" and actual paying work.

I run a plastic fabrication business with a heavy focus on additive manufacturing. 3D printing to the masses.

The inevitable question is "can you print me a ____." People think that I literally walk up to the machine and go "Ok Stratasys, print me one Baby Yoda." .75 seconds later it materializes and I hand it to them.

At this point I have a pre-memorized script in which I tell them I will need either the 3D model file in one of the following formats, or I will need the STL file sent to my email address. Here is my card, typically I have a 24 hour turnaround on quotes. If you decide to proceed it's a three week lead time.

That's how I drive the low-hanging fruit our of my sight and send them away whining about how Johnny down the road can print it for a bag of weed.

That low hanging fruit makes up a full 85% of my daily contact with potential customers and clients. Can you print this bracket? Sure, send me the file. Ok that'll be $65. Oh Johnny down the road can print it for a bag of weed on his Anet? Jane can print it for you on her Ender 3 for a smile? Why the HELL are you approaching a company with an actual office and business cards expecting a goddamn handout?

For me, side work consists of doing jobs that actually pay but don't fit in our normal targeted markets. Right now, tabletop gaming tiles and accessories are HUGE for us. We manufacture clips for those tiles, we produce the tiles themselves, accessories for the Warhammer painting crowd...

Side work also consists of IT-specific cable management solutions. I've nicknamed that little aspect of my business "The Bracket Racket" and my clients find it funny. It's partly true, but on the other hand when you have a cable management nightmare and no off-the-shelf solution has proved viable for whatever reason... sketch becomes reality, money changes hands and your problem goes away.

The only thing I won't touch is firearms-related accessories. I have a friend who caught the sharp pointy end of a DA's anti-gun crusade for making a simple accessory that you could adapt from Dollar Store crap. I do however from time to time work with the ammo-reloading crowd, as there has been little to no anti-nonsense inflicted on that portion of firearms culture that I have heard of.

So, TL;DR conclusion: Proactively driving away the low-hanging fruit and "can you make me" people is essential when you have a shop... be it a casual home-shop or a small business shop. It means the difference between spending 10 hours a day quoting jobs you'll never get vs spending a few hours a day on quotes that will turn into a paycheck.

Comment

Working...
                        X