No announcement yet.

Something I’ve been working on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super cool! Someday I'm going to try a pistol.

Move to Utah. Here you can make a gun for yourself and its nobody's business.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

That looks like some nice work. Have you fired it yet? Or is it just for the brag?

And I would say that getting it registered in New York was probably a much harder job than making it. Did you have to pre-register it or get some kind of permit before starting on it?

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
      Just got this fully registered
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

It's not the greatest of ergonomic designs,
        Well no chit! My pink lil hand would be sliced and diced plunking off the two wad cutters

Like it. I see Sid post I go looksee. Usually great machining content. Never fails. Same here.

Ball endmill in steel? Like the stop of the run on the ball mill. Almost CNC looking. Hahahaa. Nice work. Thanks for posting.. JR
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Spent nearly all my life in New York state before moving to South Carolina nearly 8 years ago. I can only imagine what it took to get that pistol registered !!!! New York pistol permits list all your pistols on it by make, serial number and caliber. What did they list it as on your permit???? A "SId 25 auto" ?? LOL Getting a legal serial numner assigned and engraved is no small feat as well !

Very nice work as always Sid ! Your quality makes me envy every time !

Comment

Very slim.
            Kinda elegant.

-D
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              That looks like some nice work. Have you fired it yet? Or is it just for the brag?

And I would say that getting it registered in New York was probably a much harder job than making it. Did you have to pre-register it or get some kind of permit before starting on it.
              Come on Paul! Just for brag??
              Why would I bother registering it if it was just for show?

Yes, I’ve had a dozen or so rounds through it now. First I started with blanks. Getting the firing pins and springs right was a bit of experimenting.

As far as getting it registered in NY, Onondaga county (central NY), it went like this.

I called all the local gun shops around, searched the web (a lot of miss information). No one seemed to know what to really do. The best advice I received was to call the ATF.
              So, I did. Starting by calling the Albany NY number. Left a message. In a couple in a couple of hours an agent out of Rochester Ny called. He was very helpful.

He told me that all I had to do was give it a serial number (you see it in the pic. It is not stamped. I milled it in.
              Then, he said that on the application, just list it as homemade.

I contacted my Sheriff’s department where my CC permit is issued from and talked with them about the process. They were not opposed to anything I was doing. I made my appointment to see them and waited.

Before I got there, I had put together a package of drawings, a couple of pictures and a letter that included the ATF’s name and contact information.

Yesterday, I showed up for my appointment, presented the woman my docs, she consulted with another fellow and all went as planned. I think calling ahead, having good documentation, and what amounted to an endorsement from the ATF guy and the fact that I am not a manufacturer or no intention to make more than one, made things go smoothly.

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                Very slim.
                Kinda elegant.

-D
                Only .625 wide.

Sid

Comment

Nice work, as always!

I'm assuming you had to register it with ATF first, then go through the process for NY?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                    Nice work, as always!

I'm assuming you had to register it with ATF first, then go through the process for NY?
                    He can answer more correctly but there should have been no need federally to do anything. Nothing illegal about an homemade firearm as long as you are not manufacturing them. Even serial numbers don’t have to be on them but it is recommended at the very least to report it if stolen. Federally there is still some of the NFA laws you need to follow though, and if what you made falls into that you would need the tax stamp and then have a serial on it.

Most of what he had to go through was because of the BS laws in NY. Like stated above, none of what he went through is an issue or needed in other states.

Comment

Nice workmanship as always Sid. I've always been curious about the steps required in Canada to do the same (not a pistol), but never curious enough to start down the slippery slope. Would love to make a couple matched heirloom 22's for the family one day, but have no idea of the steps involved up here, or if it's even possible. Cheers, thanks for sharing.

Comment

To be clear, I did not have to register it with the ATF first.

Sid

Comment

Apart from the total ban on pistols in the UK, every gun made here has to be proof tested and marked at a testing house. There are testing houses at London and Birmingham, I believe.

Comment

https://i.imgur.com/V7j2K6O.jpg

The internals

Sid

Comment

50 bmg???
                              On the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	94.7 KB