Best use for this motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

So what happens with a 3 phase motor when it is "instantly" reversed? (I can imagine the magnetic fields needing a visit to the chiropractor...)
    The motor loses quite a bit of the energy as heat during the reverse. That's where all of it ends up eventually.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Squirrel launching videos? Is that the ones where someone is trying to keep the squirrels away from the bird feeder? They can be very entertaining. If I gave in, it would be at least two hours.

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
      Oh no,, Matt is gonna get me watching squirrel launcher videos again. There goes an hour.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

In either case, thermodynamics rules. That energy becomes heat.

And you have contributed, in some small measure, to the heat death of the universe. It's all downhill until everything is at the same temperature.

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
        Not quite instant - but less than a second. And yes, all that energy must go somewhere....
        I used a center off 2PDT switch. So power to the motor is cut off more or less at the same time as the power to the brake. It must take some number of milliseconds for the brake, powered by mechanical springs, to actually bring the motor to a halt, and some further amount of time for the motor and brake to be re-energized the opposite way when the other set of switch contacts connect.

So what happens with a 3 phase motor when it is "instantly" reversed? (I can imagine the magnetic fields needing a visit to the chiropractor...)
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Bomb Bay doors on a 1/4 scale RC model of Enola Gay.

Comment

Doozer: Motors with a run capacitor generally are a lot smoother than regular split phase and plain capacitor start motors (the latter may have a run cap).
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Interesting. Did not realize that.
              Possibly why Baldor uses capacitor run motors
              on their single phase bench grinders.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Working...
              X