Bridgeport Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport Clone

how to repair auto down feed.......will not stay engaged.....Bridgeport Clone

You are going to have to give out a few more details of what mill you have, maybe some pictures as well.

Comment

Bridgeport had a clutch mechanism that would stop the feed at a set position, this feature was prone to failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
        Bridgeport had a clutch mechanism that would stop the feed at a set position, this feature was prone to failure.
        I remember using one that was real finicky on staying engaged and most of the time having to hold the lever out by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

I remember using one that was real finicky on staying engaged and most of the time having to hold the lever out by hand.
          Exactly, when this feature fails the quill feed will often misbehave or not work at all.

Comment

If you have brand name, there may be a fix..... but that fix may not apply to some of the many brands out there..

Comment

there a simple mechanize down load a parts brake down try to adjust it first check the little pivot at the bottom they brake if it wont work after that it's most likely the the little dog bone at the top is broken the front haft is easy to get out back half sometimes sometimes comes out with a magnet or air if not make a drill guide and tap 6 or 8-32 will work.The guide needs to bottom on the ball half still in the head only need to drill deep enough 1/8" or so to get a few threads in the ball to pull it out. after you get it drilled and tapped lave the tap in the ball remove the guide and pull the and pull the broken bone half out with the tap.ken

Comment

tthank you ken......

Comment

Download a Bridgeport schematic and compare yours to it. Might get lucky.

Comment

That happens to my BP clone every now and then.
                    Mine is just like a BP, I know this because a BP sits about 10' away from my clone and I can match things up.
                    The 1st time it happened I tore things apart, only to find it was gummed up with WD 40 residue.
                    I cleaned it up and it worked fine. The couple of times it's failed my since I just soak it down with PB Blaster and away I go.
                    The WD 40 comes from my using it as lube when cutting alum.

THANX RICH
                    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      there a simple mechanize down load a parts brake down try to adjust it first check the little pivot at the bottom they brake if it wont work after that it's most likely the the little dog bone at the top is broken the front haft is easy to get out back half sometimes sometimes comes out with a magnet or air if not make a drill guide and tap 6 or 8-32 will work.The guide needs to bottom on the ball half still in the head only need to drill deep enough 1/8" or so to get a few threads in the ball to pull it out. after you get it drilled and tapped lave the tap in the ball remove the guide and pull the and pull the broken bone half out with the tap.ken
                      The dog bone does break all the time, but that won't disable the trip on the downfeed, nor prevent it from holding out. But yes, the downward trip out also holds the lever out. I don't remember all the details. I agree with the others that a good disassembly, cleaning and inspection is in order.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

You are going to have to take it apart and see what's wrong. I suggest you look at videos posted by H&W Machine Repair, very good. They also sell parts. If BP parts won't work then Sharp parts usually will.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                        X