Resurfacing Table Saw Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darryl View Post
    How to saw off only 3 thou- run a piece through the saw, then add one thickness of paper between the piece and the fence. Off comes another 3 thou. Or run a piece through the saw, make a few pencil marks on the edge, then glue on a piece of paper. After that dries, run it through the saw again. The paper will be gone, but the pencil marks will remain. Of course this assumes you didn't move the fence between cuts.

The fence has always been a big issue for me. Until I started making cable-controlled fences, I always had a problem setting a fine adjustment and keeping the fence square to the blade and slots. I can see that easily creating a discrepancy of 1/32 inch, and maybe that's why most people only work to that degree of precision.
    I've done the paper shim trick before. I also have a drawer full of different types of paper with varying thicknesses just for that purpose.

I've had issues with my fence moving out of parallel with the blade and slots. It's not the best design as far as how the head is fastened. The guide track is aluminum and so is the head. Alum against alum doesn't slide well and the front edge of the head slides against the edge of the table. That's a double whammy !
    So what I did was line the friction surfaces of the head with UHMW tape which is about .005 in thickness. It slides much easier now but when I move it I always move it by the heada and never grab it in the middle because it wants to bind.

JL................

‚Äč

Comment

• Originally posted by Bented View Post

That was a joke.
      I can see a future where the advertisement reads like so.
      Artisanal Picture Frames Made by Hand Using Granite Topped Saws.

A thing of beauty. The only thing better would be Made With 18 Carat Gold Plated Tools, consumers equate gold with value.
      I owned a picture framing business for 14 years. Never used a saw for the miter cut. Used a foot operated guillotine with blades set at the miter then took v shaped bites out of the molding progressively until completely through. Incredibly accurate. Never lost a finger, but shaved the skin a couple of times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        Don't we all make improvements on our tools?

If you saw my table saw, you would see why I would rejoice if I had his. But even mine cuts wood. And that's my NEW table saw. My old, first table saw was a kit built monster. And I made a lot of good stuff with that one too. I always say the skill and accuracy is first in the hands, second in the mind, and only third in the tools.
        Or as Lt. Col. Cooper once said, "Marksmanship and accuracy are two different things."
        Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post

I owned a picture framing business for 14 years. Never used a saw for the miter cut. Used a foot operated guillotine with blades set at the miter then took v shaped bites out of the molding progressively until completely through. Incredibly accurate. Never lost a finger, but shaved the skin a couple of times.
          I bought a used Jyden earlier this year, and used it last week for the first time, making a pair of cabinet door frames. Super Nice!!

Comment

Working...
          X