Toolbox for the lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbox for the lathe

Just showing off a bit😃. Swinging toolbox I made for the lathe. Tool holders go on the shelf. Tools and inserts go in 12 drawers. Drawers are roughly 6x12x 2-1/2 inches deep. Swings over the lathe when not in use.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

That's a great idea! It makes use of space that would normally be used only for a place for light to shine down. But it politely gets out of the way to allow that when in use. I LIKE IT!

It looks a bit tall for easily seeing and reaching into the top drawers. But I'm sure that's just the angle of the picture. You obviously checked that all out before you made the tool box to suit. But then I've got my lathe set up pretty high
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

It is high. I’m 6’5” though so it’s not a problem. I can easily see in all but the top row of drawers. The lathe is on a 10” concrete pad too, so a regular size person could make the stand shorter and still clear the tailstock

Comment

Great looking job and use of space.
        what type of lathe do you have?

Hal

Comment

It’s a Colchester Student. Round head mark 2 I believe. Added VFD and DRO to it. It’s a nice little lathe. 12x24

Comment

The basic design error of the round head was fixed in later versions - the square head. This allows owners to clutter the headstock with everything that you now have in your toolbox

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain K View Post
              Just showing off a bit😃. Swinging toolbox I made for the lathe. Tool holders go on the shelf. Tools and inserts go in 12 drawers. Drawers are roughly 6x12x 2-1/2 inches deep. Swings over the lathe when not in use.
              Finally , a safe way to use the space over/behind the lathe. Very nice. I may have to shorten the chains on my florescent can to leave room for something similar. Very very nice. Thank you for posting, and thank you for posting the link to this thread in my thread.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I'm glad you like it Bob. I've been using for a while now and find it to work very well. I also added a 6" wide shelf on the front at the bottom to set chuck key, drill bit, next toolholder I need, etc. on.

Comment

Nice job Captain K,I would have to mount it lower as I’m about 8” shorter than you.

Comment

No problem. You wouldn’t need the 10” of concrete under the lathe either😃

Comment

Working...
                    X