Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nutsplitter tool with a soft wedge? What's up with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutsplitter tool with a soft wedge? What's up with that?

It's a K-D 715 nut splitter, the type that will lay on a surface with the screwhead tilted up a bit.

It was not biting in, so I decided to check the wedge and it looked rough, so just on a whim, I tried filing it. Surprise!...... the file cut it as if it was 12L14... no apparent hardness at all. No evidence of heating, no evidence of any messing with the wedge at all.

Now, I would not expect it to be glass-hard, that would not last well. But I did not expect it to be apparently dead-soft, for sure. I would have expected something in the RC45 to 55 area, combining hardness with added toughness.

The odd thing is that this is not the first time I have seen this. I have another splitter that is a cheaper type, and it was the same. Its edge basically folded up when trying to split a common (grade 5 at maximum) nut that I could easily file. Even a grade 8 nut is not very high on the scale, one can easily turn them etc, with HSS.

I have one other nut splitter, a larger jaw type which I have not tried. I cut this nut off with a hacksaw

I found it odd, I rarely use a nut splitter, and had these just for the odd case where it would be good. No such tool has ever "split" a nut for me, they seem like a hoax. What's UP with these?
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Probably poor quality control wherever it was made. I have a couple different ones, one made by Bluepoint and another made by Kentool. Don't use either but once or twice a year, neither has any problem splitting.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

K-D has always been good quality, but I haven't bought anything new for many years. Maybe they went to china?

edit: A bit of looking found this on toolsource.com: Many products in the KD and Gearwrench brands are made off shore. . .

So sad when that happens. The almighty dollar rises to the top while quality and dependability sink to the bottom. Oh well, the execs come out ok.
      Last edited by chipmaker4130; 11-22-2020, 04:39 PM.
      Southwest Utah

Comment

If it was made out of oak.......?????

Comment

So you had me curious. KD-710, made in USA. Hard as glass, file wont touche it.

Does you wedge look like this one with the ends having some sort of texture? JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	nutbust.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	1911756

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
            K-D has always been good quality, but I haven't bought anything new for many years. Maybe they went to china?

edit: A bit of looking found this on toolsource.com: Many products in the KD and Gearwrench brands are made off shore. . .

So sad when that happens. The almighty dollar rises to the top while quality and dependability sink to the bottom. Oh well, the execs come out ok.
            Not an issue here, this splitter is probably at least 40 years old. I doubt it was made anywhere other than USA, and IIRC it has that cast into it.

I got it used at a tag sale, and that had to be 20 years ago. Had forgotten I had it, until I needed to remove a nut that would not unscrew. I had just reorganized a rollaround, and had found this in the "all that other stuff" area at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
              So you had me curious. KD-710, made in USA. Hard as glass, file wont touche it.

Does you wedge look like this one with the ends having some sort of texture? JR
              No, I had one like that as well, but it had a butter-soft wedge.

Mine is like this, but also featuring the butter-soft wedge

https://www.ebay.com/i/184392253703?...hoCvq8QAvD_BwE

Comment

I've always had good service from KD's line of tools and mine are mostly older ones like yours. Although I do not have that particular tool.
                Just wondering if somewhere along the line if someone may have replaced the wedge at some point?
                I just can't fathom why KD would even consider using a butter soft wedge. Can't garner too much repeat business with that style of business philosophy.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Can you harden the wedge, or replace it with a piece of HSS?
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                    ............ Can't garner too much repeat business with that style of business philosophy.
                    They ain't.... I'm not impressed. Although the first splitter was the style shown above in JR's pic, I cannot swear to it being a K-D. This one, like the link I posted, is definitely and clearly a K-D, though.

Have not tried to harden it yet.

Comment

Jerry, are you sure the wedge you have is original? Maybe someone lost it and made another.
                      Southwest Utah

Comment

Jerry, are you sure the wedge you have is original? Maybe someone lost it and made another.
                        My point exactly. Even the one in Jerry's link has seen better days. It is an expendable part of the tool and often replaced.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I have one similar to the one JR posted a picture of, I can't recall the brand but likely KD as well. I have not used it an awful lot, but found it handy on several occasions. Each time I used it it worked as designed and split the nut cleanly without damaging the treads on the bolt. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the wedge is harder than what you found yours to be. Very odd.

Comment

I have a Craftsman splitter probably 40 years old. I use it rarely, but when I do, it has always done the job.

Ed
                            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

If they did, they did a very good job.... it has the knurl, and the ball detent that it should have, and they are done very well. I'd say NO CHANCE.... the thing is original.

I took a couple pics, and you can probably see in the pics, when I remember to get them off the camera, where the "butter soft" metal just bent over.

I suppose it could be a bad case of decarb bark, but they ought to know how to do it by the time they made the thing.... it was clearly made back when there were still workers who had experience and knew what they were doing (unlike now).

Back then, you COULD replace those parts. These days, I'd not expect to find them, what you buy is generally all you will ever get, other than vacuum cleaner bags, those you can usually get for at least a couple years after you buy the vacuum.

If I want a good one, or any one, I will probably have to make it.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 11-22-2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X