Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: How would you drill a 1/2" x 1/2" in wood off the grid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's exactly what I was going to say. You/he could create a bit for a flat bottom hole by grinding away the center screw and the edge teeth on the edges of a standard wood bit. Then do something like grinding one of the cutting edges all the way to the center. The spiral flutes have flat edges and should keep it centered in the hole once that hole is started.

I would get two braces so I would not have to change the bits twice for each hole.

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    Start the hole with a conventional brace and bit, finish with a bit from which you've ground away the point.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Thanks for that link.

Originally posted by alanganes View Post

I had not heard of those before. Pretty cool and looks like something a guy with a machine shop at home could make.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

After watching a couple of videos of forging spoon bits, it looks like forging a small 1/2" might be hard even for an experienced smith. Now I'm wondering if a machining approach might not work as well. Like start with some 1/2" high carbon rod, drill it 3/8" blind end, cut a 120 deg section, use a 3/8" ball end mill to do the inside spoon end, weld it to a shaft, harden it, finish grind it.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
          1/2" x 1/2" blind holes in wood.
          I'm lost. Are you talking about square holes? Or is it 1/2" dia by 1/2" deep? Will a chisel (straight or round) work?

Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Bit brace with a Forstner bit will give you a flat bottom hole. They used to make Forstner bits with square tapered shanks, and they are still found on eBay, etc.

Comment

Forstners do not have a big "snell", but they do have a pointy bit at the center, would that be a problem? A standard drill with the point ground off is a good solution for finishing the hole, but you will need to start the hole so there is some sort of guide.
              3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Forstners do not have a big "snell", but they do have a pointy bit at the center, would that be a problem? A standard drill with the point ground off is a good solution for finishing the hole, but you will need to start the hole so there is some sort of guide.
                True, some Forstners have a small center point, some have almost none at all. And all are guided by the rim, so you’ll see a slight scoring at the edge of the hole. If that is unacceptable, you’d have to use an end mill instead. But you’d have to have one specially ground to eliminate the concavity that would produce a bottom with a very slight hump to it. And you’d have to use it only to finish the bottom of an already-drilled hole, as the lack of spurs on an end mill would leave a pretty poor finish on the sides of the hole.

Comment

Same is true of flat ended drill, they need an existing hole to guide them
                  3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                    Start the hole with a conventional brace and bit, finish with a bit from which you've ground away the point.
                    Well yes. That is in my opinion, which is no good says yes. Quickly and simple. JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I too thought square hole at first.
                      I don't understand off the grid, but cordless maybe allowed ?
                      I think I found the solution to this at age 13.. 1969 .
                      my Dad had a brace with a drill chuck on it. Use a wood bit to start the hole to 1/2 deep including tip. Then switch to a 1/2:slot drill.. in drill chuck, then finish hole.. all with a brace..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        I don't understand off the grid,
                        think caveman
                        as far as 2nd brace, if he is walking 8 miles in the Patagonia, I doubt he wants extra weight.

Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                        Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Lee Valley: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...ley-spoon-bits
                          and I'm sure others also carry spoon bits.

Comment

Why all the talk about spoon bits? If the mark left by the leadscrew on an auger bit is unacceptable, it’s hard to imagine that the round bottom left by a spoon bit would be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                              think caveman
                              as far as 2nd brace, if he is walking 8 miles in the Patagonia, I doubt he wants extra weight.
                              What second brace..one brace , 2 bits..

Comment

I got a question... what is he making that requires drilling out in the hinterland ? My guess is an A frame or a tripod ?

Comment

Working...
                                X