6" Mill Table Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" Mill Table Vise

Going to purchase a 6" general purpose vise for my mill.
    The one I have is great but it is HEAVY. I just want one for
    general purpose, if there is such a thing. I'm a hobby guy
    so no production work. I see Accu Vises in the $150 range.
    I know you get what you pay.
    Thanks
    olf20 / Bob

Hi,

Heavy is good. If you want a lighter vise, maybe get a 4"?

Teco is a decent name and a bit cheaper than Kurt. Otherwise, maybe look at Shars for a vice? They sell a few different brands. I'm all for saving money, but I think in today's market, you are going to need to spend more than $150 to get something usable.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I have to ask what you have on the machine now that is so heavy it bears buying a lighter vise.

lg
      no neat sig line
      near Salem OR

Comment

I picked this one up not too long ago pretty cheap secondhand from eBay. I quite like it so far. It's 6" × 6" capacity and in addition to the normal orientation it can be used on either side or even up in the air standing on the fixed jaw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201031_131757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	1911988

Comment

I found that a 6" milling vise is a bit large for my mill. When I analyzed the table movements and locations where I could bolt a 6" one on the table, I saw that some of the envelop just was not reached by the spindle with the available X-Y movements; mostly the Y movement. So I bought a 5" instead and I can reach from a bit behind the rear jaw for edge finding all the way to the full opening of the movable jaw. And it is quite a bit lighter then a 6" would have been.

On that weight thing, most milling vises are roughly the same dimensions for a given size. So one 6" will weigh about the same as another 6", even if one costs $150 and the other $1000 or more.

I actually purchased two identical, 5" milling vises. That way I can mount them side by side to hold wider work. Alignment can be easy just by grabbing a piece of straight stock with the pair of them and aligning on it's rear face. Then tighten them both down. This gives me a lot larger work envelope than even a single 8" vise would have. Some machinists even buy three identical ones and mount them side by side on the table. I actually did that at work a few times to mill some 19" wide panels.

If you want, you can see the discussion that we had on my milling vise purchase here:

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ling-vise-size
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post
            I have to ask what you have on the machine now that is so heavy it bears buying a lighter vise.

lg
            no neat sig line
            I'm not sure of the brand of my vise but this thing is heavy!! At 73, with a bad hip and back I'm just looking for
            something that is lighter, which would make me a little more apt to do a job rather than not because of dragging
            the big one out.

Thanks for all the replies!
            olf20 / Bob

Comment

Originally posted by olf20 View Post

I'm not sure of the brand of my vise but this thing is heavy!! At 73, with a bad hip and back I'm just looking for
              something that is lighter, which would make me a little more apt to do a job rather than not because of dragging
              the big one out.

olf20 / Bob
              ? <dragging the big one out.>? Why isn't the vise on the mill?? Two "shops" I've worked in one had 4 Bridgeports and the other a Bridgeport and a small import , the vises are always (well 90+ percent of the time) on the table.. Only ever get removed for some special purpose.. And I'm 88 so don't like the idea of lifting a Kurt either. :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by olf20 View Post

the big one out.

olf20 / Bob
                Is the vise mounted a dead center of the table and in the way when you need to fixture a part right to the table or use a dividing head?
                Keep your existing vise mounted about a third of the way from theend of the table. Frees up space and evens the wear out on the table screw.

Comment

Is there such a thing as a lightweight 6" vise? The biggest I have is 5" and its as much as the mills will comfortably hold and as heavy as I would want to lift.
                  Paul's suggestion of having a pair of smaller ones makes sense to me, I use a couple of 100mm Bisons which will pair up perfectly.
                  Last edited by old mart; 11-24-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I will slide my vise out of the way sometimes, leaving it on the end of the table. But, I've got a 48" table, so there's enough room for the rotary table beside it.
                    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                    Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

On that weight thing, most milling vises are roughly the same dimensions for a given size. So one 6" will weigh about the same as another 6", even if one costs $150 and the other $1000 or more.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ling-vise-size
                      Hi,

Most of the Chinese 6" mill vises are going to be about half the weight, or even a bit less, than a standard 6" Kurt. A 6" Kurt is pushing 70lbs to about 40 for the less costly imports. So it's not too surprising Olf20 is wanting something a bit lighter. Still, I wold recommend a 4" if the work size range will fit. I picked up a 4" import that weights as much as most 6" imports. I think I got it off of eBay - not that I can recommend buying there. But, mine has turned out to be a decent vise.

If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I use the mill for cnc wood working also. Its Christmas time and need to make some gifts. I do have a 54" table I believe. Can't remember exactly but it's long. I usually use about 2/3 of it while doing the wood / router stuff. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if I can pickup a good used one.
                        Thanks for the ideas / help / info!
                        olf20 / Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X