Wood Screw or Machine Screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Screw or Machine Screw?

Anyone know what these screws are? What are they used for?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7128 2.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	1911949
    ​​​​​​​

Ask yourself a question, what application would be improved by having different thread forms on a single fastener?

Comment

The ones I've seen came with door hinges. No clue why.
      It's all mind over matter.
      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Universal screws found in commercial door hardware like hinges. Works in wood or metal.

Comment

Bobj got it, but I see them most often with locksets, used for the strike plates. They're typically poor quality steel too.
          Southwest Utah

Comment

I've seen double threaded studs half wood screw thread half machine thread.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
              Yup! Same here. Also sometimes with electric strikes.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

So they can be used in cases of wood or metal doors and frames. Same hinge part number, one universal "fits all" screw. The fact that the screw can end up being a "fits nothing in a usable way" is not relevant to the maker........
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

12-24 on the machine thread part.

-Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I've seen double threaded studs half wood screw thread half machine thread.

JL..............
                    I used those to secure the fenders to the frame on my '51 Riley DHC. I used to know what they're called.

Edit: They're called hanger bolts
                    Last edited by MrWhoopee; 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM.
                    It's all mind over matter.
                    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Pvc window screws, friction stays use those, at lest over here, the course bit into the frame then the slightly larger bit screws into the stay, apparently it’s a tri lobed thread forming thing or so I’m told, not round
                      mark

Comment

I used those to secure the fenders to the frame on my '51 Riley DHC. I used to know what they're called.
                        "...double threaded studs half wood screw thread half machine thread."

Hangar bolts ...I think. Or maybe it's hanger, not hangar.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Already been said, but those are the screws that generally come with door hardware like strike plates. I believe the theory is that they work in both wood and metal frames. For wood, the threads at the tip provide the holding power, for metal the fine thread is the part that grabs and the wood thread extends through the frame and into the air. My understanding of it at least

That said, worth avoiding using the supplies hardware when possible. Easy way to improve home security is to replace the screws in door hinges and strike plates with much longer screws that reach all the way into the studs. Pretty easy to kick a door in that just has the factory screws holding the strikeplate, much harder when the plate is secured to the stud

Comment

Found in door hinge and striker plate kits. Used with wood or steel clad/wood core doors.
                            Opinion: They are a compromise too far. Pick your anchoring material and use the correct screws for it.
                            S E Michigan

Comment

I can see how they work for wood. But for metal the wood screw thread has to pass through the sheet(?) metal frame first and then the machine screw thread. So the metal frame has been distorted by the wood thread before the machine screw thread does. There is a lot going on there. I don't think this is a good idea.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X