Keith Fenner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Fenner?

Why doesn't my favorite YouTube producer post much anymore?

I wish he would. Nice guy; at least we're not picking on him this time.

Comment

He went through a divorce, moved the whole shop, and, presumably. is now running more paying job ticket items

Comment

Keith Fenner's YouTube channel is the very first metalworking channel I ever found and watched on youtube.
        I believe Adam Booth was the second.
        After realizing all the metalworking channels on youtube, I gave up watching TV totally and completely.
        The only TV that I get to see, is if one is on the wall at a bar.
        Because of Keith Fenner, I was inspired to create my own youtube channel, Doozer's Shop.
        I have not posted a video in about a month. This plague has got me down. Mentally.
        I do miss Keith and his videos. I actually bought a Colchester 17" lathe because he has the same model.
        I hope he is doing well.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Moving and setting up a new shop along with the troubles and expenses of a divorce have probably taken up his time.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

He posts quite a bit on Facebook.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

He may simply be tired of the extra work needed to make the videos. It's not easy being the writer, director, camera guy, cast, post production and on and on to make these sorts of things. Doozer, if you've done this for a while I'm sure you can see that.

I've got a couple of videos on YT too that are related to model airplanes. But even as simplistic and amateurish as those are the work needed to get them ready to post was about four times the work to actually do the job shown in the video.

I loved Keith's early videos. But I found over the last year and a bit that they seemed to be overly long with more time used in simply watching machines turn and chips curl off the work. So I've drifted away. Shame really as Keith's work certainly has a lot of good ideas and lots of examples of great work holding techniques for lots of the really odd stuff found in marine related use.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I have noticed most youtube metal guys that I used to watch weekly just don't make as many vids as they used to, and the content isn't the same. I enjoyed watching new tool additions, I learned a ton from that and nobody really does it anymore. Monday night meatloaf, Abom's SNS and Keith Fenner are 3 of my favorites. They just aren't the same anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                  I wish he would. Nice guy; at least we're not picking on him this time.
                  I'm not a fan of the creative video titles he uses. I tried watching one of his more recent videos and couldn't make it through.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that making new videos isn't worth the effort with YouTube/Google slashing pay to creators.

Comment

I enjoy Keiths videos. His are real life projects brought in by real people.. Abom has gotten to the point where his videos are staged project or showing off new machines or tools he has gotten free.

Comment

Originally posted by pb57 View Post
                      I enjoy Keiths videos. His are real life projects brought in by real people.. Abom has gotten to the point where his videos are staged project or showing off new machines or tools he has gotten free.
                      I agree on Abom. It was bound to happen when he quit his full time job and decided to make YouTube his primary. "Hey guys, look at my giant hydraulic tapping arm! You can have one in your home shop too for tapping 10,000 3/4 holes in AR plate!"

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

I agree on Abom. It was bound to happen when he quit his full time job and decided to make YouTube his primary. "Hey guys, look at my giant hydraulic tapping arm! You can have one in your home shop too for tapping 10,000 3/4 holes in AR plate!"
                        It's completely irrational, but it really bugs me when he shows off all these gifts people are sending to an expert machinist who already has everything he needs. I could use some of that stuff! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWI View Post

It's completely irrational, but it really bugs me when he shows off all these gifts people are sending to an expert machinist who already has everything he needs. I could use some of that stuff! LOL
                          Me too. They get thousands of dollars in tooling gifted to them.

Comment

It doesn't bother me that viewers gift them stuff. What does bother me is when they don't mention or act like they are doing a product placement video. I am suspicious of his latest video with his new metalizing torch. Haven't watched it yet.

However, at the end of the day they are just trying to pay their bills and have an acceptable quality of life. There's much easier ways to make a livable wage.(Top YouTube learners excluded, their fame and riches are driven by idiots that like that junk)

Comment

Adam, and to a smaller degree, Tom, have fallen into the YT production ilk. That is, less direct machining content, in favor of higher defined productions of less content. It was bound to happen. I find myself watching still, but finding it less interesting stuff. I don't think I'd abandon any of them but find myself seeking other less refined productions of machining. Blondihacks seems to still have a machine work based channel although only posts every week or 10 days. I am a rank amateur so II find her videos informative. Keith for whatever his life has tossed at him, posts little these days, but you can't discount his overall work. Maybe he will return on a more regular basis. Hope so and hope he is well.

I could see how doing videos more or less constantly, could wear thin real quick, so I'm hesitant to be too critical of these folks trying to share what they do.

S E Michigan

Comment

Working...
                              X