No announcement yet.

Keith Fenner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched most of the same YT channels as most of members here. I find Keith Fenner as the most 'get er done' channel out there. Awhile back several of the common youtubers we watch, all complained about the money situation with YT, and many of them now look for $$$ through patreon.
    Joe Pie is good YT also, informative with the theory and experience to show for it, another good 'get er done' channel, like him or not, good content there.
    I agree about Abom, he is very good machinist, seems to have gone down the sponsorship road tho
    My disappointments are NYC CNC, Oxtoolco and Blondiehacks, too much talk/too little machining or too little experience.
    I'm surprised there is little mention of Keith Rucker, seems to have more machining/less talk than some others

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
      ...I'm surprised there is little mention of Keith Rucker, seems to have more machining/less talk than some others
      Agreed. Sometimes I'm watching Keith Rucker and thinking "why did you do it that way?" or "you could have made that look better" but overall he does some neat stuff, and the gear cutting and scraping videos have been informative. I wasn't a fan of the way he did the feet on his planer though!

Comment

What turned me off from Keith Rucker is that he seems to farm off the more complicated stuff or doesn't teach as well as Joe Pi or Abom.
        Perfect example, the steam engine he was working on is sitting on Aboms shaper. Yes, I get these guys like to collaborate on things, but Rucker is just as guilty as Abom with product placement, like his American Rotary converter.

Comment

I don't blame them for taking products for free, who wouldn't want a crazy tapping arm or a nice new rotary phase converter? That's perfectly fine, they do a lot of work to make videos and that's just how marketing works. I also learn about those tools in the process, and it opens up different work for future videos. I still wish they would go back to the earlier style of videos, but I still prefer their videos to anything on TV.

Comment

You need to check out Steve Summers, I enjoy watching his channel. He posts a new video every Saturday . For the last 6 months he has been rebuilding his shop which I find just as interesting as the machining content.

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
              You need to check out Steve Summers, I enjoy watching his channel. He posts a new video every Saturday . For the last 6 months he has been rebuilding his shop which I find just as interesting as the machining content.
              That dude gets tons of stuff for free.

Comment

Yeah and he tells us when he gets the free stuff. I agree with you on being interested in the progress of his shop rebuild. He has some innovative ideas, and he likes the squirrels
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

This is one hard working man! Seems like he's down to earth too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post

This is one hard working man! Seems like he's down to earth too.
                    True but his wife proof that he is an overachiever 😁. I'd like to see her have her own channel.

Comment

My primary hobby is vintage tube electronics. There is a guy "Mr Carlson's Lab" who has 7700 Patreon subscribers, with a starting level of $2 per month. I don't know what his cut of Patreon is, but he must be raking in the dough. So many of us experienced restorers all say that his videos are flat out boring and provide very little insight, but somehow he manages to run his YouTube videos as a business. When I tried to make a few videos of my own a few years ago, I gave up. The amount of time filming and editing is just ridiculous, and you spend so much more time getting your project done. As long as This Old Tony keeps the machining videos up, I am good

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                        What turned me off from Keith Rucker is that he seems to farm off the more complicated stuff or doesn't teach as well as Joe Pi or Abom.
                        Perfect example, the steam engine he was working on is sitting on Aboms shaper. Yes, I get these guys like to collaborate on things, but Rucker is just as guilty as Abom with product placement, like his American Rotary converter.
                        Keith Rucker has been farming out stuff, or, sharing content with other similar channels. Consider the shared content and or getting more parts made in less time. go figure.
                        That steam engine sent over to Abom is too big for any of Keith's machines. Keiths biggest machine table is the ancient metal planer (that isn't running yet), so it no wonder he sent it out.
                        Keith does little as far as sponsorship, yeah he gets a new phase converter once in awhile, but he doesn't dwell on sponsors as much as Abom or some others.
                        This past summer I went to a UGA school machine auction, looked at a LeBlond, and stopped by Keith's shop. He has a very nice shop and this past summer he didn't really have any machines bigger than what some members here have. He got a big Monarch, and horiz boring mill, a 8-foot planer, but none of that is running as yet. Likely why he sent out the bigger job.
                        BTW, what is the 'more complicated' jobs he sent out?? Did he send you down some goofy-azzed path for the setups in the machine (as others have)?
                        I am not a particular friend of Keith, but, since you say 'farm off the more complicated stuff' then please define what is determines as complicated to farm off.
                        As compared to doing a goofy-azzed video on something over your own head?

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post

Keith Rucker has been farming out stuff, or, sharing content with other similar channels. Consider the shared content and or getting more parts made in less time. go figure.
                          That steam engine sent over to Abom is too big for any of Keith's machines. Keiths biggest machine table is the ancient metal planer (that isn't running yet), so it no wonder he sent it out.
                          Keith does little as far as sponsorship, yeah he gets a new phase converter once in awhile, but he doesn't dwell on sponsors as much as Abom or some others.
                          This past summer I went to a UGA school machine auction, looked at a LeBlond, and stopped by Keith's shop. He has a very nice shop and this past summer he didn't really have any machines bigger than what some members here have. He got a big Monarch, and horiz boring mill, a 8-foot planer, but none of that is running as yet. Likely why he sent out the bigger job.
                          BTW, what is the 'more complicated' jobs he sent out?? Did he send you down some goofy-azzed path for the setups in the machine (as others have)?
                          I am not a particular friend of Keith, but, since you say 'farm off the more complicated stuff' then please define what is determines as complicated to farm off.
                          As compared to doing a goofy-azzed video on something over your own head?
                          That steam engine I was talking about. Fair comment about the size though. How's those gears holding up?

Comment

plastic gears are a pleasant surprise.
                            that really long-winded thread turned out to be grossly over-rated.
                            plastic gears are fine, no big deal

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWI View Post

It's completely irrational, but it really bugs me when he shows off all these gifts people are sending to an expert machinist who already has everything he needs. I could use some of that stuff! LOL
                              ......... and yet with all his expertise and gifted tooling, he no longer seems to have any meaningful work to do. I suspect that his machine shop 'business' is nothing but a grand self-deception. Regardless, he seems a likeable person and it's his life to live how he wishes.
                              Last edited by IanPendle; 11-26-2020, 03:09 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Keith Fenner is alive and well, and posting on YouTube again.

He had to move his shop after the divorce and was "offline", while he converted the old auto service station to a machine shop. Looks like he's catching up now.

He's got numerous videos he's posted within the last month.

Comment

Working...
                                X