No announcement yet.

OT you know it is winter time when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in the city, winter ain't a big deal unless the heating fails. Our electric here is rock solid even though it's above ground unlike NYC. Even after Sandy it was only out for 24 hrs. I know it's winter when I can't get a day over 50 deg to get out kayak fishing. And when my whiny German tenants complain about the steam radiators somewhere in their apartment.

Comment

when you can dare to take a deep breath in the outhouse.
      It's all mind over matter.
      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

When the barn starts filling with newborn lambs...

lg
        no neat sig line
        near Salem OR

Comment

When the temperature does not get above zero F for several weeks.

When you hear yourself complaining that when it gets above 20F the snow is too wet and no good for skiing (downhill OR cross-country).

When any car with a carburetor is not going to start unless it has a block heater.

When keeping the house at 62 F is too hot.
          3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

A good winter is when it doesn't get above freezing the whole time. It is drier, the humidity drops and the lungs and sinuses have it easier. Cold and dry is better.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

When you hear the electric cars coming because they have their studded tires on!

Comment

For this relic of the last ice age, it's when I put the lawnmower in storage, ang get the snowblower out.

Comment

Winter, when it is too cold to go out at night in just a t shirt.

Comment

We in New Zealand know it's winter in the US when all the swallows (the lovely Americans who also own houses here) arrive for their five months' escape to our summer. Though alas, this year will be different—no-one without permanent residence is allowed into the country while the pandemic rages.

We know it's winter here at 35° South when the daily temperature maximum is only around 15°. (That's 59°F...)

Comment

You know it is winter when you have to use pliers to get your dick out to pea! Meaning it is shrunk up like a turtles head hiding in it's shell!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

"What do you guys do with time off in the winter?"

Well, read you folks and go to the beach. I dont know, surf fishing is a good time. JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

This was my home about forty five years ago. Winter hadn’t let go, it was March. Used 3 cords of wood and had back-up if needed. The snow piled six foot high actually help keep us warm inside. There is an inner liner that created a dead air pocket between it and the tipi “skin”. Inside was a stone floor and a fire ring that had a buried 2 inch pipe that led outside on the windward side. Made a good draft. Never got smokey inside. Never had an outhouse, just an “out”: a platform with a seat on a box over a deep pit. In foul weather it had a little tripod and canvas shelter
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	60AE929F-1308-46B1-95EC-EF6B705BD51D.jpeg
Views:	366
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1912867

Comment

You know it's winter when there's tons of traffic and lots of NY, NJ, CT license plates...

Comment

I know it's winter when on October 1 the temperature knob on the car heater gets turned all the way to hot. It stays there until May 1 and I only use the fan switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
                                This was my home about forty five years ago. Winter hadn’t let go, it was March. Used 3 cords of wood and had back-up if needed. The snow piled six foot high actually help keep us warm inside. There is an inner liner that created a dead air pocket between it and the tipi “skin”. Inside was a stone floor and a fire ring that had a buried 2 inch pipe that led outside on the windward side. Made a good draft. Never got smokey inside. Never had an outhouse, just an “out”: a platform with a seat on a box over a deep pit. In foul weather it had a little tripod and canvas shelter
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	60AE929F-1308-46B1-95EC-EF6B705BD51D.jpeg
Views:	366
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1912867
                                When I was a teenager I did a lot of "camping" out in the winter bush, never had anything that fancy though, just pine bows on a frame.
                                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X