OT you know it is winter time when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats wrong with cotton?
    I know its winter when a sheet is not enough to keep me warm at night. Average winter day temp is 24 degrees.At the moment I am really missing winter . Today was 30 degrees. But its the humidity that is a killer.

Comment

Memories of South Africa-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Yeah...

I did have to walk up hill in three feet of snow going to school. Not miles, maybe a football feild.

School bus. In New Jersey the School Bus had its stops in the cold of winter.

I walked up a slight incline about 100 meters, get on the bus and defrost.

End of day drop off was down the road from my house.

So I climbed up the road to get home and defrost.

Yeah, some folks did walk up hill both ways in the snow for school.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Oh, cotton is great as long as it's dry. I prefer it. It's just kinda hard to keep things dry in winter. I do wear multiple layers of cotton at work, but in that case I'm always on my feet and moving around and staying dry.
          Cotton feels better but wool will maintain 50% of it's insulation value when wet. The other 50% comes from all the scratching the user does while wearing it.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I’ve only had to run my snowblower 7 times so far this winter. There’s plenty more time for this “fun” activity.

Comment

Forcast threatening half an inch of snow might hit London. That will bring everything to a halt. Oh, hang on, this year it already is.

Comment

Greetings from San Antonio, Texas!
                What's this "WINTER" thing you speak of?

Comment

Round here you know it's winter time when you gotta start the furnace an hour and a half before you can do anything in the shop!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                    Forcast threatening half an inch of snow might hit London. That will bring everything to a halt. Oh, hang on, this year it already is.
                    Wow, half an inch. Try not to get lost in the blizzard.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

that's better than the several feet in Japan recently.
                      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        At my work, the outhouse freezes over solid. Nope, you don't spend very long in there.
                        Where do you work 1850

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

Where do you work 1850
                          Heavy equipment/semi truck maint shop in the back 40 acres at a very large metal recycler. We load the scrap into train cars to be remelted. Because they have no idea whats underground (old abandoned industrial chemical site) it would cost over $100 thousand to run a water line to the shop from the nearest road.
                          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 12-29-2020, 07:15 PM.
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                            Whats wrong with cotton?
                            I know its winter when a sheet is not enough to keep me warm at night. Average winter day temp is 24 degrees.At the moment I am really missing winter . Today was 30 degrees. But its the humidity that is a killer.
                            Cotton is nice as long as it is dry. Around here it is typically -2 to -20 C in the winter, with snow.... when the cotton gets wet from sweat or melting snow, it freezes, and you slowly freeze to death. Our summers are nice, 24 to 30 C with lots of humidity. Lots of farmers in my area.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

You know it's winter when.......................................I went for my morning walk yesterday at 7AM. Made it half a block and I discovered an ice spot, immediately followed by a back flip Charlie Brown would be proud of. Hobbled home and was layed up for the rest of the day.

Gotta luv winter!

Comment

Working...
                              X