Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose nut
    replied
    You know it's winter when.......................................I went for my morning walk yesterday at 7AM. Made it half a block and I discovered an ice spot, immediately followed by a back flip Charlie Brown would be proud of. Hobbled home and was layed up for the rest of the day.

Gotta luv winter!

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    Whats wrong with cotton?
    I know its winter when a sheet is not enough to keep me warm at night. Average winter day temp is 24 degrees.At the moment I am really missing winter . Today was 30 degrees. But its the humidity that is a killer.
    Cotton is nice as long as it is dry. Around here it is typically -2 to -20 C in the winter, with snow.... when the cotton gets wet from sweat or melting snow, it freezes, and you slowly freeze to death. Our summers are nice, 24 to 30 C with lots of humidity. Lots of farmers in my area.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by loose nut View Post

Where do you work 1850
    Heavy equipment/semi truck maint shop in the back 40 acres at a very large metal recycler. We load the scrap into train cars to be remelted. Because they have no idea whats underground (old abandoned industrial chemical site) it would cost over $100 thousand to run a water line to the shop from the nearest road.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 12-29-2020, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    At my work, the outhouse freezes over solid. Nope, you don't spend very long in there.
    Where do you work 1850

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    that's better than the several feet in Japan recently.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by Baz View Post
    Forcast threatening half an inch of snow might hit London. That will bring everything to a halt. Oh, hang on, this year it already is.
    Wow, half an inch. Try not to get lost in the blizzard.

Leave a comment:

• wbldon
    replied
    Round here you know it's winter time when you gotta start the furnace an hour and a half before you can do anything in the shop!!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• KiddZimaHater
    replied
    Greetings from San Antonio, Texas!
    What's this "WINTER" thing you speak of?

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Forcast threatening half an inch of snow might hit London. That will bring everything to a halt. Oh, hang on, this year it already is.

Leave a comment:

• Robg
    replied
    I’ve only had to run my snowblower 7 times so far this winter. There’s plenty more time for this “fun” activity.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Oh, cotton is great as long as it's dry. I prefer it. It's just kinda hard to keep things dry in winter. I do wear multiple layers of cotton at work, but in that case I'm always on my feet and moving around and staying dry.
    Cotton feels better but wool will maintain 50% of it's insulation value when wet. The other 50% comes from all the scratching the user does while wearing it.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Yeah...

I did have to walk up hill in three feet of snow going to school. Not miles, maybe a football feild.

School bus. In New Jersey the School Bus had its stops in the cold of winter.

I walked up a slight incline about 100 meters, get on the bus and defrost.

End of day drop off was down the road from my house.

So I climbed up the road to get home and defrost.

Yeah, some folks did walk up hill both ways in the snow for school.

JR

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Memories of South Africa-

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    Whats wrong with cotton?
    I know its winter when a sheet is not enough to keep me warm at night. Average winter day temp is 24 degrees.At the moment I am really missing winter . Today was 30 degrees. But its the humidity that is a killer.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Cotton: The death fabric........
    Oh, cotton is great as long as it's dry. I prefer it. It's just kinda hard to keep things dry in winter. I do wear multiple layers of cotton at work, but in that case I'm always on my feet and moving around and staying dry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X