X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch one Power Hammer

Arrgh, just saw this one-

https://youtu.be/_k6ifaZDyHA?t=554

At least nobody got hurt, sucks to put that much work into something all for nothing.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Yikes. Note his reflex to try to stop it from falling over. That rarely works and can get you hurt or killed. Hard to avoid though.

I used to sell stuff to a guy that dealt in machine tools for a living. He said that he always preferred to lift and move things by slinging them near the top, as these guys initially were, to avoid exactly what happened. He said "It can't topple off a sling" or something like that.

Rotten break though.

Comment

Sucks but that was an easily avoidable situation. Hopefully he chalks that up to lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
        Sucks but that was an easily avoidable situation. Hopefully he chalks that up to lesson learned.
        My thoughts exactly. A lot of ... erm ... rookie things being done in that video. I'm sure we've all done them at some point and probably got away with a much less heart-breaking lesson, but it's a shame no one was around to offer some helpful pointers.

Now the question is, how to fix it??? Seems like an interesting (and likely impractically expensive) challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
          Why would anyone try and move it when it was sitting at right angles to the direction it was being lifted by?
          Most of the weight was sitting above or outside one fork of the pallet jack.

Comment

He's the same idiot that bought a fully restored 10EE that the shipping company tipped over and destroyed. He is one of the high earners on YouTube, I wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose for a viral video. Notice he has almost 3 million subscribers? When he's not destroying old iron bought at scrap metal prices, he's busy deciding between Ford Raptors or other 6 figure toys.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
              Most of the weight was sitting above or outside one fork of the pallet jack.
              Bingo! Probably had 2k or better on the one leg, that combined with pallet jacks being three wheelers and the load being top heavy, over she went.

If he had screwed his dunnage timbers to the wooden base they would have at least stopped the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                Now the question is, how to fix it??? Seems like an interesting (and likely impractically expensive) challenge!
                It can be done, but it's beyond their skill level. Usually it would be Vee'd out to a knife edge, studs would be drilled and tapped into the mating faces, the two parts aligned with a shaft through the bearing bores. Then a pre-heat and the vee faces padded with Nickle. Once the Nickle layer is in, the actual joining could then be done with 70 series wire filler. Same basic process Brian Block used on his busted Radial Arm drill.

I've done stuff nearly that big and have seen stuff some old timers did that was larger and done with Bronze brazing. It is possible, and might be worth it given the amount of work they put in forging all new toggle links for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Bingo! Probably had 2k or better on the one leg, that combined with pallet jacks being three wheelers and the load being top heavy, over she went.

If he had screwed his dunnage timbers to the wooden base they would have at least stopped the tip.
                  X2 on that wasn’t even bolted down and using a pallet jack for that job is no no!

Comment

The young American douche nugget now speaks exactly like the head British douche nugget.
                    Now I know where politicians come from. Neither one of them knows anything, but they sure
                    talk a lot.
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

X2 on that wasn’t even bolted down and using a pallet jack for that job is no no!
                      It was fine to use a pallet jack to move this machine,
                      you just needed to have the majority of the weight
                      over the fork rollers. Not off to the side.
                      There is a triangle of stability within the 3 wheels
                      of every pallet jack. He got the weight outside of that
                      and you see the result. I have moved 8 foot tall
                      drill presses in and out of my shop with my pallet
                      jack. Never an issue, because I do know what I am doing.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

It was fine to use a pallet jack to move this machine,
                        you just needed to have the majority of the weight
                        over the fork rollers. Not off to the side.
                        There is a triangle of stability within the 3 wheels
                        of every pallet jack. He got the weight outside of that
                        and you see the result. I have moved 8 foot tall
                        drill presses in and out of my shop with my pallet
                        jack. Never an issue, because I do know what I am doing.

-D
                        Your right Doozer even if he had it bolted to Pallet probably wouldn’t have toppled it if carried pallet low.

Comment

Can't fix stuid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
                            Can't fix stuid.
                            Always the Darwin fix!

Comment

He's not someone I would have anything to do with.

Comment

Working...
                              X