X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice , I like it !!
    Toolznthings

Comment

• This is the final "wrap up" of my geared horizontal engine. Painting and polishing has been completed, and there really is nothing further to do on this project. It has kept me entertained for a month, and shows that yes, the flywheels can be mounted on a geared shaft which is driven by a gear mounted on the crankshaft. I have seen this discussed many times, but the answers were always a bit ambiguous. This answers the question. Thank you for following my build thread.---Brian
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G_JM3hRCR8&t=25s
      Last edited by brian Rupnow; 12-30-2020, 04:05 PM.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Nice work, Brian. Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested how people solve problems. Not everyone shows problems, but for you, it's just part of the job.
          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
          Oregon, USA

Comment

• Tim---I'm pretty sure of myself and my abilities, but there comes a point in every build where I think "Oh my God---I'm not going to be able to make this work, and people will think I'm a fool!!!" Fortunately, that seldom happens----but I do worry about it..
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Nice build Brian,
              It was fun following that

Comment

• Thank you Ringo. It did go fairly quickly. It filled up 5 weeks of Covid Winter. All I have to do now is figure out what to do for the next four months.
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                  All I have to do now is figure out what to do for the next four months.
                  ...... Well, I am hoping that you will take us into consideration and perhaps three more builds are in order.....
                  If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
                  British Columbia
                  Canada.

Comment

• Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Brian, as others have said, I fully enjoyed your journey through this build, and appreciate your sharing it with us. Good job, and looking forward to your next adventure.
                        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Aah. A thing of beauty. Thanks for taking us on the ride Brian.
                          Glenn Bird

Comment

• I've followed this semi regularly and today was my more or less weekly catchup. I'm glad I didn't miss the unveiling by many hours. Another very fine job on this Brian. I have to admit to not being sure about the gears as far as the overall look but I have to say that it came out spectacularly. That it would run was never in doubt. But when designing models like this there's that peculiar quality of visual artistry that is or isn't there. And I had my reservations at seeing the first 3D drawings. But seeing it in metal shows that it has "The Right Stuff". Or perhaps my mind simply got used to the look. Either way the pics a few posts above are showing a thing of beauty. And I'm thinking that your "heavy duty" control rods were the thing that really makes it pop. They form a nice visual compliment or balance to the cylinders below them.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Ah, yes,,,
                              "peculiar quality of visual artistry"
                              Yeah, Brian has that...........
                              it's a thing the rest of us cannot do, but we watch and wish we could do......

Comment

• My friends, you are talking about an ability that can be learned. I couldn't draw a cat freehand. Back in the mid 1960's I went through a very thorough apprenticeship in detail drafting, drawing with mechanical pencil on 36" x 48" sheets of vellum. There were many other aspects to the apprenticeship, but the main emphasis was on being able to visualize something in orthographic projection and put it down on paper so that it could be manufactured by the "Shop guys". I did learn, and I learned very well. I've just saved 44 drawings as pdf files so they can be opened by any computer without any special drawing software.
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X