Metal nut cracker plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal nut cracker plans

I'm always thinking of things to make as presents and Christmas is coming up, plus my wife's birthday is in January. We ran out of nuts for the sweet potato casserole yesterday, so had to send the youngest out to the porch with a hammer and a bagged of unshelled nuts, which got me thinking about making a nut cracker. Not much experience with them other than childhood memories of aching hands and annoying walnuts using the pliers type, so I'll probably skip that sort.

Anybody got a style they like?

There's the lever type (I like this one alot)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nutcracker 1.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1912533

the lever/ shuttle type

Name:	nutcracker 2.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1912534

and the nut torture device like so

Name:	nutcracker 3.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1912535

any other ideas I'm missing? Preferences? The 1st and 3rd would be relatively straightforward to make.

I have had this nut cracker for a very long time. I belonged to my Dad's stuff after he passed. I have thought about making some copies of it for gifts but was always intimidated about making the pocket where the nut sets.
    The threaded rod shaft looks to be some sort of Acme threads, or like those used on some garage door openers. The best of it's quality is you have a very fine control on the pressure you apply to the nut you are cranking.
    it's about 5" long as shone in the photo
    Last edited by lugnut; 11-27-2020, 04:03 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

The hands-down best pecan cracker that I've ever used is powered by rubber bands which drive a captive plunger against the pecan held in place against a heavy anvil-like piece of metal. It has a sliding shield to contain the flying fragments. With a little practice it's easy to get mostly whole and half nuts.
      One can be seen in action here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_zzD3kLi1A

As purchased it might be a bit small for english walnuts, but if you're making one it would be a simple matter to adjust the size appropriately.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

All 3 look fairly easy to make.
        I hate 1 , it looks like it will rust, crude and cheap.. and to me not rounding if corners is a no no.. at least for machinists..
        don't want anything that will rust, injure folks, or leave dents if it falls over or gets dropped..

Comment

I like the lever one. I would want to gear it way down, mount it on a piece of wood, maybe use something like a 120° groove for the nut to sit in, and possibly add a simple (threads/bolt) depth limiter.
          If little ones might be using it, there are pinch points that should be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            All 3 look fairly easy to make.
            I hate 1 , it looks like it will rust, crude and cheap.. and to me not rounding if corners is a no no.. at least for machinists..
            don't want anything that will rust, injure folks, or leave dents if it falls over or gets dropped..
            I like the design but you are correct, the fit and finish on that one in the picture is terrible. I’m sure some of the folks on here could make a much more elegant version out of stainless and brass.

Comment

lugnut - I don't see any picture. Is it a screw press type cracker?

lynnl - that's pretty curious, I'll have to think some more about that!

754 - I'm actually leaning towards 1, but if I do make it I'll make it out of stainless. Has to be washable and no rust.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                lugnut - I don't see any picture. Is it a screw press type cracker?

lynnl - that's pretty curious, I'll have to think some more about that!

754 - I'm actually leaning towards 1, but if I do make it I'll make it out of stainless. Has to be washable and no rust.
                The photo shows on my screen, and yes it is a screw type cracker, very old, I think maybe it was once chrome platted. most of it worn off now. Can anyone help mettthemuppet see the photo?
                Thanks
                Mel

Oregon Coast

Comment

My favorite nut cracker look like a hollow pear, one side cut away, with the screw coming in through the stem. Place the nut in the body of the unit, the screw is T handled, spin the nut down with one finger, then a quick twist and chow down.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post

The photo shows on my screen, and yes it is a screw type cracker, very old, I think maybe it was once chrome platted. most of it worn off now. Can anyone help mettthemuppet see the photo?
                    Thanks
                    Mel
                    I don't see your picture either.
                    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I was given one machined out of black nylon that can be made out of brass. It's composed of a small cup that receives the nut and on the side of the 12mm thick wall there is a ACME thread with a screw that crushes the nut inside the cup. These were made by young machine shop apprentices.

I will try to find it to get some pictures.
                      Last edited by Noitoen; 11-28-2020, 08:30 AM.
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

It was easier to find than I thought
                        Attached Files
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

thanks for all the ideas people. After my morning coffee I'll go rummage in my scrap drawers and see what I have. If I have enough stainless for the lever type, I'll make that, if not I'll try the screw type. I'll have to get cracking as there isn't much time left til Christmas!

doh, that was a terrible unintended pun...

Comment

OK. I think I figured out why my photo did not show. any way here is the photo of my old nut cracker that was in the things that I got when my Dad past. I really like because of the control you have when cracking a nut. I think it was chromed at one time. It's stained, pitted but still works great. I have thought about making one like it, but not sure how to go about it.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Oregon Coast

Comment

This one would be best 😀

Comment

Working...
                              X