No announcement yet.

Metal nut cracker plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The black nylon one, I made similar long ago . Took a 1 3/4 nut bored threads out, then tapped the side.. works good...
    get it.., NUTcracker....
    Last edited by 754; 11-28-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

The second of the initial three looks best because of the presentation, including some wood. I think it would be nice and extra fun to have a sort of ship's wheel to adjust teh screw in bit. For a machinist that could be a standard machine handle, with a dial for thous of adjustment. The real test is how well they cope with brazil nuts although almonds can be pretty tough sometimes.
      When the aim is just to get the nut cracked the best by far is a pair of vice grip pliers, we call them 'mole grips' over here.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
        OK. I think I figured out why my photo did not show. any way here is the photo of my old nut cracker that was in the things that I got when my Dad past. I really like because of the control you have when cracking a nut. I think it was chromed at one time. It's stained, pitted but still works great. I have thought about making one like it, but not sure how to go about it.
        That's the same one I was talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4 View Post

I don't see your picture either.
          I can't see lugnut's original photo either but I can see his photo in post #14.

Comment

A screw cracker is fine if you're only going to crack a few nuts on which to snack. However, it can be tiresome if trying to crack a bunch of nuts for pies or cookies. The lever type is much faster for production quantities.

A chisel edge in contact with one side of the nut will help to crack Brazil nuts and macadamias.
            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

thanks for the pointers everyone. Finally got everything else done on my bench (for now at least) and rounded up some stainless from my collection.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9991.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	856.1 KB
ID:	1913207
              the big piece in the middle can be split in two lengthways to make the top and bottom halves, the plate can be used for the legs and linkage and the rods for axles and the lever. I have some larger bits of stainless (including one I call Thor's Hammer!) that I can make a handle out of to make it a bit more comfortable to use. Pretty sure I have a piece of red oak around that would make a nice stand.

First thing will be to make some measurements off that picture to get the various lengths, then rustle up some nuts (oh er) to figure scale. Then I'll make a cardboard model to see if the dimensions make sense. After that, I'll need to make a pointy die thing to bend the legs and start cutting. The axle that connects the lever to the plate on the other side will be square ended, so that the lever will drive both sides at the same time.

I'll update as I go, the clock is ticking!

Comment

also, weird thing with the two pieces of 304 at the bottom. Totally non-magnetic in the middle, but both have shiny tracks at the edges which are magnetic. What's that all about?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  The black nylon one, I made similar long ago . Took a 1 3/4 nut bored threads out, then tapped the side.. works good...
                  get it.., NUTcracker....
                  I just made one today because of you!

I found a large nut in my shop that measured 1 13/16 inches across the flats so decided to make a novelty gift for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

I found a large nut in my shop that measured 1 13/16 inches across the flats so decided to make a novelty gift for a friend.
                    nice!

Did some CAD (cardboard aided design) this evening after eyeballing the measurements off the picture.

First attempt, not so good

Name:	IMG_9995.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	1913511

2nd and 3rd attempts weren't so great either

Final version

Name:	IMG_9996.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	803.7 KB
ID:	1913512

Name:	IMG_9997.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	852.4 KB
ID:	1913513

I'll have to think carefully about clearance for the lever over the upper linkage nut. Might also extend the top and bottom pieces by a cm. Think I'll do some doodles and work through some ideas on paper. Have to be careful with the clearance stack up between the links too, especially if I'm using shouldered bushings.

Full open the range goes from ~12mm or so (hazelnut), flat to flat, at the hinge end to ~45mm half way along (big walnut), so that should work.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                      OK. I think I figured out why my photo did not show. any way here is the photo of my old nut cracker that was in the things that I got when my Dad past. I really like because of the control you have when cracking a nut. I think it was chromed at one time. It's stained, pitted but still works great. I have thought about making one like it, but not sure how to go about it.
                      I have one similar to this, but mine has a double thread on it. Probably from the 1890s. Made in England. Works like a champ! I am sure yours, like mine was nickel plated.
                      Last edited by Ironbearmarine; 12-03-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

Cool ..i just remembered I have about 6 feet of 2 3/8 or so hex steel bar.. not sure if it saws easy.. but cheaper to buy a 1 3/4 nut I think and less drilling.

Comment

I'd think a miniature power hammer would be a cool nut cracker

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            I'd think a miniature power hammer would be a cool nut cracker
                            Better yet, a complete steam powered bar set.

Stuart used to market a casting set for a steam hammer. Add a cement mixer...

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...4841#post64384

to mix drinks, all driven by a steam engine fueled by the espresso boiler.

A tiny horizontal bandsaw to slice citrus and an arbor press (PMResearch model) for pitting olives...

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...629#post104841

The possibilities are endless.
                            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

a steam powered power hammer nut cracker would be totally awesome (as would a trebuchet squirrel launcher, but that's another story) but the likelihood of getting it done before Christmas is exactly zero, maybe a little less

Turned my CAD model into paper drawings. There are going to be a surprising amount of parts in this. The ones that worry me the most are the legs that I'll have to bend in my hydraulic press (need to make a pointy die thing for that) - I think I've allowed the right amount of internal radius, but I'll be drilling the top holes after I'm done.

Got a few bits made, will take pictures once I've finished up for the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                                a steam powered power hammer nut cracker would be totally awesome (as would a trebuchet squirrel launcher, but that's another story) but the likelihood of getting it done before Christmas is exactly zero, maybe a little less

Turned my CAD model into paper drawings. There are going to be a surprising amount of parts in this. The ones that worry me the most are the legs that I'll have to bend in my hydraulic press (need to make a pointy die thing for that) - I think I've allowed the right amount of internal radius, but I'll be drilling the top holes after I'm done.

Got a few bits made, will take pictures once I've finished up for the evening.
                                How about a supersonic squirrel gun, like "Smarter Every Day" did on Youtube for baseballs? Oh wait, the squirrel wouldn't like being in a vacuum among other things...

Comment

Working...
                                X