Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Computer Q. Moving files from one machine to another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    Um, did I not say that?
    You said to look it up, you didn't say what it was, but your advice is 100% correct. Unfortunately, nearly all search results were generic idiotic solutions that don't really work, not your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

So why a new HD? Was almost comparable to the USB patch cord and will have drivers for my broke azzed computer, I hope

I couldnt justify 28 bucks for a USB patch cord that I may use once. HD will be good to have. Thanks.... JR

That's quite understandable. $28 for a usb->SATA connector seems a lot. I have two of them, and find that they are VERY handy when a laptop starts to fail or a Desktop box goes bad. It makes trouble shooting a bit easier too.

Good luck with the new HD. Keep in mind that you will be using the bad drive to run the PC. That means the computer will be reading and writing to the bad drive so the chance of failure is a bit higher than it would be if you were using the bad drive as a read-only slave to the new computer. If possible, look for a copy program that can restart where it left off when you crash. That will make it MUCH more tolerable. I don't do windows anymore, so I don't know which currently produced programs have that feature.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

All great info. That is why I went all crasy O/T: haaha..

The (2) SATA to USB is in the mail. That was the seven dollar cable.

The USB to USB was 28 bucks. And software dongled No tanks.

I am receiving my 300 dollar computer soon from dell. This box will be wiped and looked over. Not discarded.

This box is very old and does not belong on the internet. Heck, my Bridgeport computer is even older. Maybe swap? No, wrong answer. DOS box

Oh??? I accidentally lied. I do use one of the laptops I have. Happens to be one of the oldest also. She feeds the 120 Emco numbers. I forgot. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

1.4 tb of data ? For an old computer, that's a pretty big HD. After 1 tb it pretty much jumps up by a whole tb, 1tb 2tb etc. Odds are the HD is fine.
          I would do like someone else suggested and just take that HD out and put it in your new computer as the backup drive. It would take minutes and
          your done.

Or .. you could just reinstall or upgrade Windows and the BSD would probably go away.
          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
            1.4 tb of data ? For an old computer, that's a pretty big HD. After 1 tb it pretty much jumps up by a whole tb, 1tb 2tb etc. Odds are the HD is fine.
            I would do like someone else suggested and just take that HD out and put it in your new computer as the backup drive. It would take minutes and
            your done.

Or .. you could just reinstall or upgrade Windows and the BSD would probably go away.
            Good info. This old guy is gone as soon as I get the DATA off. I will "clean" it and see if she might make a good work horse. I have uses for old computers.

I can talk FTP. I dont want to for this TV computer. Its just a swap. I thought the tech got better ovr the years. And it did.

Yu guys have helped me significantly. I thank you.. JR

Edit: Yes. I only need to remove 1.4TB at the max. It is a 2TB HD. No software coming. Just my files.... JR
            Last edited by JRouche; 11-29-2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Mail just came.

Insane! 5TB drive smaller than my reading glasses. Technology never fails to amaze me.

Now to get the computer to stay alive long enough for this to work. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	5tbyte.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1913025
              Last edited by JRouche; 11-29-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X