• Time
  • Show
Clear All

,Cheap 4 jaw chucks any good?

Nope !

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I believe the Chinese Sanou brand are available in the states, I bought a 100mm one to replace the 80mm original on my 7 X 12 and it is noticably better quality.

Comment

Ive got one of those unbranded chinese 4 jaws, albeit much smaller than what youre looking for at 4 inches. Paid about $60, and it works well enough. Every corner is sharp as all hell, burrs everywhere, taking it apart to clean out all the crap was manadatory before first use, but i kinda expected all that for the price point. Works all right, holds things, can get it dialed in pretty well, dont really have any complaints.

Comment

I'm with Rich. If you think quality is not important because you're dialing it, you're missing the point. Dial it in perfectly at the chuck....then see how much its out in a plane say 3" out from the chuck.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Maybe consider paying a couple of bucks more for a chuck from a storefront (Shars, CDCO, etc). If its really a lemon, you'll have someone to contact for a replacement/

Most of the chinese stuff is good enough for my home shop. I'm willing to put in some clean and polish work in exchange for the $$$ I'd save.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              I'm with Rich. If you think quality is not important because you're dialing it, you're missing the point. Dial it in perfectly at the chuck....then see how much its out in a plane say 3" out from the chuck.
              Eh, you have no right to assume the work will be perfect at some distance out from the chuck, many reasons why that may not be the case, and not all have to do with the chuck. That kind of issue is often easily fixable anyway. Sometimes not.

The 3 jaw is no good for centering right BY the jaws, so.......
              3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                You assume we haven't? The eyes can discern a few thousands of wiggle easily anyway.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Eh, you have no right to assume the work will be perfect at some distance out from the chuck, many reasons why that may not be the case, and not all have to do with the chuck. That kind of issue is often easily fixable anyway. Sometimes not. The 3 jaw is no good for centering right BY the jaws, so.......
                  Why not Jerry ?
                  When you have good chucks. you can get good work from them ... When you buy crappy chucks ...then you don't know or should not assume. ! isn't that what Mcgyver said ?
                  Don't understand your 3 jaw comment , since the post is for 4 jaw chucks , but if your 3 jaw is no good for centering, then i suggest getting a better quality chuck
                  Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

Umm? Not to interrupt... I thought the subject at hand was "Cheap 4 jaw chucks any good?"

Not so much as location? Cheap is cheap no matter the maker JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                      ,Cheap 4 jaw chucks any good?

Nope !

Rich
                      Well Rich, I say provide evidence if you expect people to trust you. I gave my thoughts with specific examples to back them up. But if you expect guys trying to lower their barrier to entry by trying to find some "cheap" or "affordable" or "low price" but not "crappy" 4 jaws, then prove to them why their money is better spent elsewhere.

One word replies don't sell me unless your name has a lot of weight. Even then.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post

Why not Jerry ?
                        When you have good chucks. you can get good work from them ... When you buy crappy chucks ...then you don't know or should not assume. ! isn't that what Mcgyver said ?
                        Don't understand your 3 jaw comment , since the post is for 4 jaw chucks , but if your 3 jaw is no good for centering, then i suggest getting a better quality chuck
                        Rich
                        I suppose that has to do with the accuracy you want. And I never said you could not get to the accuracy, just that you may not get it just from tightening up the chuck on the part. When you want a thou accuracy out several inches, just from chucking the part, that is asking quite a bit, even if the portion at the end of the jaws is dead-on.

If the jaws are 1.5" long, then they (sliding surfaces and all) must be good to 2.5 tenths, in order to produce accuracy to a thou out at 3" from the jaws. The mounting (modern, or threaded) must be good to a similar accuracy. The combination of the two must not be any worse than that, or the error is out of bounds.

The chuck may produce that runout at 3" when new. After you start actually using it, that accuracy will start to degrade in an uncontrolled manner due to wear. You can tap the part into alignment, perhaps, to compensate. The ability to do that may indicate wear or a defect, however.

What is this "assume", and "not know"? These things can be checked, and anyone who wants accuracy will do so at every chucking. Checking works as well for a poor chuck as for a better one (not a perfect one, that chuck has not been made yet).

Issuing a blanket statement that less expensive chucks are "no good" makes a number of assumptions. I suppose the first one is that the chuck is too cheap to be made right. We do not know that, "how cheap" the particular chuck in question is was not defined, since no chuck has been selected.

Then there is the "need". The expected/needed accuracy is not known, and perfection is not wanted, since it does not exist. The assumption seems to be that the OP wants a chuck equal to the finest you can name, for a low price. But the desired accuracy is not defined.

And onward through the rest of a considerable list of assumptions, which I will not bother with.

A 3 jaw that centers to 3 thou is not much help if you want centering to a thou, although most here would suggest that is pretty decent, and pretty much all you can reasonably expect. A more expensive chuck is not the answer, a LESS expensive one that is 4 jaw will likely do as much better as you care to set it for, since a good 4 jaw is nearly always cheaper than a good 3 jaw.

A chuck that is even less costly may be fine for the use, and that does not mean equal in (lack of) value to a Harbor Freight cross-vise. It is not necessarily more expensive to make a very accurate chuck.

It IS considerably more expensive to document the accuracy, which is often the difference. Remember, a precision ball bearing is not necessarily made by special elves (a few very special ones may be, they go to Electric Boat)..... the parts are selected from the standard runs, and documented to be "X" amount better.

Point being that since you have no idea what chuck is meant, you have no idea if it is junk, and no reason to state that it is.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 11-30-2020, 12:11 PM. Reason: Should have been 2.5 tenths, not 3.3. Corrected.
                        3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

I hardly NEED another chuck, but I have a hankering for a 4 Jaw self centreing of about 5 inch diameter.
                          Please can those of you who actually have and use such beasts give the names of those you would recommend and those you would not.
                          I am a pensioner, on a somewhat limited budget, but realise the cost of a good one might well run to several hundred dollars.
                          Regards David Powell

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

...and if you look really, really, really, really closely (should be maybe twenty more "really"s there), you find it's once again sorta almost digital.

-js
                            And where did this come from in a thread about cheap 4 jaw chucks?
                            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

I do a fair amount of barrel work, and I wanted to save some distance through the headstock on my 14x40 Acer. I bought an independent direct mount from MSC probably 15 years ago, and I cut the steps off of the jaws so only the main part remains and is only about 1/4" higher than the body of the chuck. Between the direct mount and cutting off the jaws I saved at least 2". But the use of the chuck has been fine, never had the chuck lose adjustment.

Comment

Cheap should be followed by low expectations !

JL.................

Comment

Working...
                                X