This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe accident post on PM partial OT

Honestly, read the posts, it might rekindle some safety, don’t look at the images, really, the poor guy died horribly, leave it at that as there’s a lot you can’t unsee, big lathes are dangerous
    regards
    mark

How is it OT?
    Lathe safety, Using strip abrasives on a spinning work-piece, loose clothing, long sleeves, any one of those things could have dragged him in.

Don't look: https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...%2C%20humor%2C

Comment

Happens on a regular basis.
      Lessons-
      Winter jackets around rotating equipment are a bad idea
      Reaching over or near a rotating shaft is a bad idea
      Not having a foot brake, or over head safety switch is a bad idea

Cue the "I do thus and so all the time for 40 years on the deck of a rolling battleship in a driving rain and I'm still here" comments
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

"I've run out in the road and not been hit by a car lots of times Daddy!" - A certain three year old of mine (now pushing 40, so either learned or got lucky...)
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

even small lathes and hand tools can give you a nasty surprise. I just spent an hour looking for a small part that snagged on my dremel cut off wheel and bounced off my face shield. The annoyance of cleaning my garage to find it (it was right at the back underneath a wheeled cart) was a small price to pay for not having to pull it out of my face.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            How is it OT?
            Don't look: ...
            That is really disturbing. The only time low-res video is better.

Comment

Hamburger

Comment

Saw that post, but like many others, I've no interest in actually watching it.
                Thinking about cultural differences though...across 45 years in UK toolrooms, every toolmaker and machinist has always worn long-sleeve overalls. Whereas across the US, aprons and short sleeves seem to the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  Happens on a regular basis.
                  Lessons-
                  Winter jackets around rotating equipment are a bad idea
                  Reaching over or near a rotating shaft is a bad idea
                  Not having a foot brake, or over head safety switch is a bad idea

Cue the "I do thus and so all the time for 40 years on the deck of a rolling battleship in a driving rain and I'm still here" comments
                  Don’t forget gloves around any rotating objects as one of the worst ideas. A rule that is more than occasionally ignored, probably by most of us here.

Two years ago, a young woman - an exemplary employee - at a friend’s machine shop was polishing with abrasive paper or cloth on a lathe. She chose to wear a glove. That choice cost her an arm, from the elbow.

Skin tears pretty easily. And, sometimes, that’s a good thing.

Comment

Rip to the man in the video, at least he went quick. I watch these videos every time one is posted, it helps me to remember to be careful around these tools, especially the lathe. That being said this is probably the worst one I've seen and I'm glad the quality of the video is crappy and its in the background. I will surely remember this one.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      Hamburger
                      If you looked at the album of after images, more like sausage meat. The man's clothes were wrapped tight around the workpiece.
                      Last edited by reggie_obe; 11-29-2020, 04:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

That was really bad, almost unimaginable. As a rule, I never wear jackets, rings, wrist watches, necklaces or anything that can get snagged in anything moving no matter what I'm doing or where I'm at.
                        And and I never ever wear gloves doing anything except for welding, or in my parts washer.
                        I've seen so many people running machines with gloves on, and sticking closetheir fingers to moving machinery. if you're so afraid to get your f---ing hands dirty than the shop is not the place for you to be.
                        Hands wash easy, that's what hand cleaner is for.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

If you looked at the album of after images, more like sausage meat. The man's clothes were wrapped wight around the workpiece.
                          Torque is what separates your skin from your body, HP is what gives you the blood spray.

Comment

Enough of the smart-ass comments RB.
                            I am truly sorry for your lack of empathy and appropriateness. This horrible event happened to an actual person, and it is not an excuse for inane attempts at humor.

Comment

I have no desire to see anyone's demise. After 25 years of traffic collision and other unfortunate deaths there is nothing I want more than to NOT see anymore carnage. You dont want to know what I have seen, it is disturbing on a level that I cant convey.

But the lessons learned from this poor soul is an eye opener that might be good for some of us to remember time and again. JR
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X