New Mag drill for the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mag drill for the shop

Today I broke out the Hougen HMD905SK mag drill for the first time... It worked great and I am kicking myself not not buying one 35 years ago! Made a nice ladder for the mezzanine with about 45 dollars of material... Please take a look

Mag drills are great.
    Do you have any picture of your 10EE ?

Hal

Comment

Yep, magdrills are awesome, we have three at work, all big ones, including one ancient B&D with a lifting eye that needs it. I've had my eye on one of the Hougen HMD 130 ultra compact ones for awhile-
      https://www.hougen.com/mag_drills/HM...mag-drill.html
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
        Yep, magdrills are awesome, we have three at work, all big ones, including one ancient B&D with a lifting eye that needs it. I've had my eye on one of the Hougen HMD 130 ultra compact ones for awhile-

I have one.
        Fabulous.
        Just a note, the cutters have a twist-lock shank connection.
        Some kind of automotive quick change standard or aircraft drill type standard.
        I forget which. But you can not use the regular 3/4" Weldon shank cutters.
        They are special from Hougen or possibly others, not sure.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Wow , low profile. HOUGEN CUTS really good too, worth the price..

Comment

One of these bad boys?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191122_160256073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	1912960

Mofo is 106lbs. Splits into 2 pieces thankfully, but it's still a grunt. Humorously, that's the most powerful (HP wise) drill press in the shop. Also the loudest, by a factor of probably 20. Also interesting is that the serial no is 80090001. Suspiciously even.

I'd really like like a 15lb version. For scenarios where it's awkward to use a hand drill, or you have too many holes to do, or need them very straight. I think Milwaukee has one that's like 22 lbs, but it's pricey.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

They should have a safety chain and clamp just in case the magnet lets go.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

One of these bad boys?

Mofo is 106lbs. Splits into 2 pieces thankfully, but it's still a grunt. Humorously, that's the most powerful (HP wise) drill press in the shop. Also the loudest, by a factor of probably 20. Also interesting is that the serial no is 80090001. Suspiciously even.

I'd really like like a 15lb version. For scenarios where it's awkward to use a hand drill, or you have too many holes to do, or need them very straight. I think Milwaukee has one that's like 22 lbs, but it's pricey.
                Very similar, ours is a bit older and doesn't come apart. Drill motor says 1-1/4" capacity and has a #3MT female drive adapter. The other two, one is a smallish Nitto-Kohki which is very nice and the dog of the group a Milwaukee. Not that the Milk is a bad machine, it's just heavy and Milk decided it would be a good idea to put all of the controls on one board that costs $500 when it smokes

I saw one of these in action recently and liked the looks of it, some pretty unique features on it-

https://magswitch.com/product/magdrilldisruptor43/

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

One guy said , I accidently kicked the cord out, broke the cutter....only did it once...hah..

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

...One of these bad boys?

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20191122_160256073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	1912960

Mofo is 106lbs. Splits into 2 pieces thankfully, but it's still a grunt. Humorously, that's the most powerful (HP wise) drill press in the shop. Also the loudest, by a factor of probably 20...
                    I have one identical to that as well. Two speed, gearhead, reversible. Can be taken apart if required but that feature
                    is really designed to allow the head t swivel to one side or the other when reaching around obstructions.

Mine has the lifting eye on top but I usually move mine around with a hydraulic lifting table. Raise the table to the height
                    of the work, slide the drill on and have at it. Reverse the process when returning it to storage. I've only used mine on flat
                    surfaces so far but if you were ever drilling horizontal holes you'd definitely want to have a safety chain. At my age I think
                    I'll leave that to the youngsters.

I just recently finished a new welding table that required about 150 1/2" holes through a piece of 3/4" plate. Would not
                    have happened if I had to drill the holes by hand. (Coincidentally I do have an almost identical Black & Decker drill motor
                    that is virtually the same size--I know how much work it is to hand drill just a few holes so 150 would be out of the question.)
                    And yes, that sucker is loud--it has the most irritating high-pitched whine to it. Definitely requires ear protection...

Keith

Comment

Very similar, ours is a bit older and doesn't come apart. Drill motor says 1-1/4" capacity and has a #3MT female drive adapter. The other two, one is a smallish Nitto-Kohki which is very nice and the dog of the group a Milwaukee. Not that the Milk is a bad machine, it's just heavy and Milk decided it would be a good idea to put all of the controls on one board that costs $500 when it smokes

I saw one of these in action recently and liked the looks of it, some pretty unique features on it-

https://magswitch.com/product/magdrilldisruptor43/
                      Yep same capacity here.

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post

I have one identical to that as well. Two speed, gearhead, reversible. Can be taken apart if required but that feature
                      is really designed to allow the head t swivel to one side or the other when reaching around obstructions.

Mine has the lifting eye on top but I usually move mine around with a hydraulic lifting table. Raise the table to the height
                      of the work, slide the drill on and have at it. Reverse the process when returning it to storage. I've only used mine on flat
                      surfaces so far but if you were ever drilling horizontal holes you'd definitely want to have a safety chain. At my age I think
                      I'll leave that to the youngsters.

I just recently finished a new welding table that required about 150 1/2" holes through a piece of 3/4" plate. Would not
                      have happened if I had to drill the holes by hand. (Coincidentally I do have an almost identical Black & Decker drill motor
                      that is virtually the same size--I know how much work it is to hand drill just a few holes so 150 would be out of the question.)
                      And yes, that sucker is loud--it has the most irritating high-pitched whine to it. Definitely requires ear protection...
                      Our floor isn't flat enough for rolling carts, too many obstructions anyway. I can carry it, but I usually get dad to help if he's around.

I've only seen the hand mt3 models in catalogs. Lord what a drill. 3 man operation IMO.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

That low profile posted above could really come in handy in tight spots. The one in the video with the added spindle support down low by the magnet looks like a good feature but if it’s not removable I could see it being a problem in some situations.

We just got a new Milwaukee fuel cordless mag drill at work. It has pretty decent run time on the 9 amp hour battery and the magnet engage is mechanical not electric which is nice. I also like the quick change Weldon style chuck on it and we got a jacobs with Weldon shank to go with it. Only real complaint is it has a smaller throat depth compared to others I have used so it limits what size hole saws can be used. Reverse would also be nice for tapping with it.

Comment

Originally posted by swatkins View Post
                          Today I broke out the Hougen HMD905SK mag drill for the first time... It worked great and I am kicking myself not not buying one 35 years ago! Made a nice ladder for the mezzanine with about 45 dollars of material... Please take a look
                          Hahaa, same here. I bought one years ago. Then forgot where it was. So another one showed up. Now they both sit idle waiting for the next job.

They are good tools to have when you need it.

Lil hint. There is a guy on ebay that is selling these Jancy bits for a good price, very good.

Had to cut some holes in my 1-1/2" welding table, ate like butta. JR

Edit: I enjoyed the vid also..

Click image for larger version  Name:	md1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	1913015
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	md2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1913016
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14216.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1913017
                          Last edited by JRouche; 11-29-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I have been wanting one for a long time I have several project coming up that just cry for a mag drill, CNC router/plasma table is the main one I was thinking about. I have lots of holes to drill in the 10" c-channel that were going to be a chore on the drill press.. With this baby it will be a piece of cake.

Comment

Working...
                            X