X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swatkins
    • Mar 2018

Now is the time to buy machines!

IF you are looking for machine tools now is the time to ferret them out! Lots of shops are closing or downsizing and there are machines everywhere, well at least here in Houston...

This video is a short tour of a warehouse my friend Don found... He purchased a 12 inch grinder from these guys...

I went along and enjoyed looking at all the old machines and tooling... Enjoy....
  • JRouche
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by swatkins View Post
    IF you are looking for machine tools now is the time to ferret them out! Lots of shops are closing or downsizing
    I would agree with you but everything rolls together.

Meaning shops are closing but the folks that ran that equipment are now out of a job.

Them and others unfortunately, sad situation.

So as the prices of used machines go down so does a lot of the purchasing power for many folks.

IMO kinda a chitty time to be The Business owner that had to close. JR

Comment

• Dan Dubeau
      • Dec 2008

There was a little Hardinge horizontal mill in what looked to be decent condition that was up for auction near here this week. I briefly thought about it as I've always wanted one, but I need a surface grinder, not a horizontal mill (only have space for one). The day before auction end, the bid was at $400. I still haven't gone back and checked the hammer price. Don't want to know....

Seems it's feast or famine up here in Ontario. I know lots of shops that are SWAMPED (we are) and a few others that are scraping by. Kinda always the way it seems. Depends on your line of work. Hopefully 2021 is a year of growth and prosperity for all.

Comment

• swatkins
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I would agree with you but everything rolls together.

Meaning shops are closing but the folks that ran that equipment are now out of a job.

Them and others unfortunately, sad situation.

So as the prices of used machines go down so does a lot of the purchasing power for many folks.

IMO kinda a chitty time to be The Business owner that had to close. JR
        IN this case they are not going out of business... I think they are just trying to clear out that space and raise a little capital at the same time... There are a tone of shops here that are hurting though... The shop I bought the Axelson 20 from had 400 machinists and now have 40.... They are getting rid of most of the manual machines and older CNC's and keeping the most modern ones...

Comment

• swatkins
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Hopefully 2021 is a year of growth and prosperity for all.
          I really hope so... it's been a rough year for a lot of people..

Comment

• DennisCA
            • Mar 2018

While the economy took a dive for many in 2020 the same cannot be said for everyone. We literally doubled our sales in 2020 at my work place, it's been an insane year. We're in the home & garden business, saunas, hot tubs, spas. When people couldn't travel due to covid they decide to spend their vacation money on stuff for the home instead it seems. We've had problems keeping up with demand, and supply chain problems.

We're expanding the location with another warehouse now and upgrading the IT and production systems to cope better.

Comment

• DennisCA
              • Mar 2018

IN this case they are not going out of business... I think they are just trying to clear out that space and raise a little capital at the same time... There are a tone of shops here that are hurting though... The shop I bought the Axelson 20 from had 400 machinists and now have 40.... They are getting rid of most of the manual machines and older CNC's and keeping the most modern ones...
              On one side, I see how this could be an opportunity for a burgenoning cottage industry or give people an extra leg to stand on for some side income, using those machines in small shops, I know a farmer that does this during winter time, builds small part for bigger companies.

But alas the market favors ever more concentration and centralization in all things so I am not sure it will last.

Comment

• JRouche
                • Aug 2004

nd older CNC's and keeping the most modern ones...
                For me that never worked. So I stopped chasing the Tech.

What's today's bitchin new toaster will be obsolete next year. JR

Comment

• Bob Engelhardt
                  • Jan 2017

A place like that always frustrates me. As I wander around and see cool machines, the first thought is "How much?". Any potential interest depends on the price & I want to see the price, not ask for it.

Comment

• jmm03
                    • Apr 2014

I guess I am just too soft hearted but I can't get past the feeling of being a vulture sometimes. I know that there are many reasons for companies downsizing, but unfortunately I can't get the human factor of so many good companies and their people going down the tubes due to so many factors beyond their control. Jim

Comment

• boslab
                      • Dec 2007

Makes me so sad, should not be like this, at least saving them from the scrap, also sad seeing good machines dropped into the hold of a ship, they use the scrap then cut the ship up as well, the country need manufacturers, killing them off is sawing the branch you are sitting on,
                      mark

Comment

• Sparky_NY
                        • Jun 2007

Like always, prices can vary a lot depending on location. I went to a small machine shop auction a week ago and was amazed at how high the items sold for. There were a LOT of people at the auction too. I'm in South Carolina, for reference.

Comment

• swatkins
                          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                          While the economy took a dive for many in 2020 the same cannot be said for everyone. We literally doubled our sales in 2020 at my work place, it's been an insane year. We're in the home & garden business, saunas, hot tubs, spas. When people couldn't travel due to covid they decide to spend their vacation money on stuff for the home instead it seems. We've had problems keeping up with demand, and supply chain problems.

We're expanding the location with another warehouse now and upgrading the IT and production systems to cope better.
                          Same for me.. I sell access systems and security cameras for gates.... Turning business away now.

Comment

• swatkins
                            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                            A place like that always frustrates me. As I wander around and see cool machines, the first thought is "How much?". Any potential interest depends on the price & I want to see the price, not ask for it.
                            MY first though is where the hell am I going to put it

Comment

• Apr 2017

Dont like the prices not being on the machines , shop elsewhere..
                              often I think price changes a bit depending on who you are, how many machines you are looking for, do you want to lease I'd buy, do you sound like a BSer, those sorts of factors..
                              Often when times are bad , it seems like a bad idea to buy machines , but it's often a good time...less competition, softer pricing, get a machine into use sooner and making money.... working out glitches or fine tuning things around the machine are easier during slack time. Can' make money with a machine not running or one you have not bought yet..
                              Last edited by 754; 12-13-2020, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X