OT: USPS rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: USPS rant!

I've been waiting for a gear that I ordered from Stock Drive Products in Hicksville NY(Long Island).
    It was shipped on the 7th of December. The tracking number says that its in transit, delayed......
    I'm in central NY. I could have walked there and back by now and picked it up! (well, maybe not)

I can't believe the USPS is that slow! Seven days to move a little gear 210 miles!!!!
    I didn't choose that delivery method, but I would never use them in the future for something that I need quickly.

End of rant.

Sid

But they are cheeeeeeeeeeeeap.
    Right in line with the thinking here.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      But they are cheeeeeeeeeeeeap.
      Right in line with the thinking here.

-D
      Yup, I guess you get what you pay for!

Comment

I feel your pain --- USPS and was shipped on the 5th so have you beat but not mile wise --- it did make it half way across the nation and then got shelved about 100 miles from me for the past 4 days,
        covids shutting everything down along with the high demands of even more x-mas shipping due to places being closed and people not wanting to risk going out...

im not mad at all even though i was counting on this to fix a car, also lot's of usps workers out sick. im in no hurry to fix stuff on a dime anyways just do it when it gets here...

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

Yup, I guess you get what you pay for!
          Yeah. I just paid Fedex $155 to ship some of my wife's cookies (six pounds) to her parents. Yeah, two day. JR

Comment

Just ordered some long straight plastic strips which were shipped from New Jersey to Green Bay ( 1200 miles) and they arrived last Thursday
            The box was 4" x 2" x 8 feet long ! delivered in 5 days..prepaid $29 to the vendor for shipping.. came by US Post Office. ( I call that a winner )

Conversely a few years ago I shipped a small Priority Mail package from Green Bay to Virginia by USPO and it took 30 days ( Yee Gaaads !)
            Learned from that if it is important , do not use USPO
            Rich
            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
              Just ordered some long straight plastic strips which were shipped from New Jersey to Green Bay ( 1200 miles) and they arrived last Thursday
              The box was 4" x 2" x 8 feet long ! delivered in 5 days..prepaid $29 to the vendor for shipping.. came by US Post Office. ( I call that a winner )

Conversely a few years ago I shipped a small Priority Mail package from Green Bay to Virginia by USPO and it took 30 days ( Yee Gaaads !)
              Learned from that if it is important , do not use USPO
              Rich
              What supplier in NJ?

Comment

USPS been extremely bad for a few months now, far far worse than before. I believe there was talk in Washington of a bailout grant for USPS, big money. Its kind of difficult to claim you are not able to meet demand and falling behind because of financial problems IF things are going smooth and deliveries are timely ! I fully believe the slow down in recent months is quite deliberate.

I have had several packages that sat at the regional distribution center for as long as 5 days, this NEVER happened before, they came and left in under a half day worst case.

Comment

New Post Master General that is "improving" things I would bet.

Comment

We got a Christmas card from a neighbor, they live about 3 miles away, may have been on the same route, it was processed in Louisville, Ky., about a 100 miles from us. Another card was processed in Evansville, about 30 miles, next county. All morning long, our delivery people are busy delivering Amazon stuff. We used to get our mail about 1:00 P.M., now it is usually after dark.
                    Sarge41

Comment

Overtime was cancelled, for one thing. That points up the fact that the only way the USPS was making on-time delivery was on overtime. From what I see locally, and what my local delivery person says, that appears to be true. So is the Covid problem, that's causing a lot of issues as well.

The USPS was also saddled with extra costs, such as handling pensions in a way that is not required of any private corporation in the US.

What we are seeing is the effect of all these things together. And it is not as if UPS or Fedex is doing better. You may NEVER get your package, since both are being hijacked and the entire truck contents stolen, no doubt also due ultimately to various effects of Covid, etc.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

A few months ago, I shipped some pretty important parts to a chrome plater in Tennessee. My local UPS shipper stopped during covid, so I shipped it by USPS. Long story short, it disappeared from USPS tracking for 28 days! Then, it just magically reappeared on their tracker. Made it OK, just very late. I had it insured, but they were custom parts that I wasn't looking forward to remaking.

Last week, I received a big chunk of 6061 that I had ordered off of EBAY. Seller used USPS flat rate from California. I noticed when I got it out of the mailbox that it was wrapped in plastic rap and the USPS box appeared to be stained with rust under the plastic wrap. When I started to unwrap the plastic, I got a whiff of a horrible smell. I decided to err on the side of caution and put on some disposable gloves. Good thing too. At some point in the journey, it had been soaked with what appeared to be spaghetti sauce and it was pretty rank! I got it out of the box and scrubbed down with denatured alcohol. Luckily, there was a plastic coated USPS bag in the box. It was damaged, but mostly intact, so not much actually got on the aluminum. I would be interesting to know the story behind this. Most likely a badly packed shipment of sauce that got damaged, but who knows?
                        Last edited by Bluechips; 12-14-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluechips View Post
                          I decided to err on the side of caution and put on some disposable gloves. Good thing too. At some point in the journey, it had been soaked with what appeared to be spaghetti sauce and it was pretty rank!
                          As with UPS also.

My son works for UPS loading trucks in the middle of the night. Regularly they will have an open box. Policy is if he finds one open or leaking is to grab a supervisor and they handle it. Could be bad stuff.

He tells me about some of the stuff he sees. Engines on pallets. Pallets of tires not wrapped up. JR

Comment

Same thing. Some small parts that tracking showed left Cali on the 7th and was to arrive here in cheeseland on Friday the 11th.
                            Now the post office says delayed but it's coming. Dahell is going on. Rona? My mail guy says the Christmas rush hasn't hit them yet.

Comment

Tis the season fellows. Plus as most senders software acknowledges an order and prepares for shipping and prints a label, it announces it as shipped. Could set in the shipping department for days after that.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                              Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...
                              X