Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Rider
    replied
    Look for brake duct hose used for race cars. Its a silicon based rubber wire reinforced hose and comes in 3". Summit Racing has a selection of options available for online ordering.

Leave a comment:

• buffdan
    replied
    I use this on my grinder.. Havent had any issues, flameups.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    OK, the up and down adjustment how ever you have it designed isn't visible in the pic.

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    yes, its adjustable in height, for dressing its almost on the chuck. it also has a rubber lip in the meantime. for grinding i prefer a position below the chuck, thats what the horizontal adjustment is for. i have a quite powerfull 3-phase extractor, so that works, it probably wouldnt with just a vacuum cleaner hooked up.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Dian, I didn't see the string in the back ground...... I do now. same trick I use to support the hose.
    But, how do you raise the chute?? It looks like it well below the wheel and would hit the chuck or any part that is sitting on it. What do you do if you have to grind something that is say 3" in thickness of height off the chuck ?? Won't your chute hit the part??

My chute is adjustable, I can swing it up and down to clear any part and also change the angle of it.
    I didn't want to make a chute out of metal in case it should hit the work which it has a few times in the past. Being plastic it doesn't cause any damage to anything.

I can adjust it for dressing the wheel and set it to just clear the top of any part I may have on the chuck. The weight of that alum hose I just put on the machine tends to move the chute.

JL...........

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    joe, the weight on the black beam is around one pound. the weight of the hose was supported by the yellow string you can see in the background. in the meantime i have the vaccum box on the left side and the hose slopes down and is much shorter.

Leave a comment:

• Peter N
    replied
    All you people grinders look far too clean But I guess that's where the hose helps! ๐Ÿ˜€

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    I tried this aluminum flex hose the other day. As light as it is it's pretty stiff and my chute isn't rigid enough to properly and securely support it. It'll do for now until I do a re-design of the intake.

I'm thinking of rolling a 3" dia. tube out of some .020 alum. flashing I have and rather than having an elbow I'll see if I can miter the joint where it goes into the chute. Have about 12" of alum. tube and couple that to the original light weight hose I have. that may work out well. 12" is enough distance for any sparks to fizzle out before contacting the hose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201219-153847.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	1916748

JL................

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    That is one beefed up dust intake setup you have on that grinder. I would be extremely leery of suspending that kind of weight off the guard / head of my machine.
    I got my sample of that hose and it's pretty stiff. What is the distance from the front of the chute to the end of the collar where the hose couples?? I'm guessing about 12 to 15 in.
    That's enough distance for any sparks to fizzle out before hitting the hose.

Have to ask.....can you raise the chute independently from the grinders head??

If I were to make something like you have I would have to suspend it on a stand or better yet lag it to the wall so there is nothing hanging off the machine.

JL.................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 12-20-2020, 10:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    Do you mean this one?? https://www.powderbulksolids.com/acc...ti-static-hose

I have a sample coming.

I'm not sure what material my original white flex hose is. Anyone know ?? PVC ??

JL..............
    yes, if it sais "pur" its good. and i prefer a robust hose even if its less flexible. you dont want any kinks/sharp turns in it anyway, because the gritt will separate.

Last edited by dian; 12-20-2020, 07:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    This stuff would probably be ideal, but it doesn't seem to be available in the US and it's quite expensive. High temperature silicone.

https://www.norres.com/us/cp-sil-460-p55402/?search=1

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by dian View Post
    the second hose you linked to is the one to use.
    Do you mean this one?? https://www.powderbulksolids.com/acc...ti-static-hose

I have a sample coming.

I'm not sure what material my original white flex hose is. Anyone know ?? PVC ??

JL..............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 12-18-2020, 10:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by boslab View Post
    I set fire to one, got some of that flexible exhaust pipe to a spark trap, solved, tip, pick out the metal spiral and earth it, helps a bit to drain the charge with dust static
    mark
    Static electricity isn't the problem as there isn't enough dust or anything being sucked in to build up a charge.
    It's the sparks that ignite the steel dust that builds up inside the hose. If I had not let the dust build up the way it did I wouldn't have had a problem. Should have washed the hose out more often.

I thought of placing a small piece of screen inside the chute to act as a spark arrestor kind of like a fire place screen but that may clog up quickly. I would have to experiment. I have some wire cloth in various sieve sizes.

JL..................

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    the second hose you linked to is the one to use.

Leave a comment:

• rickyb
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    That same 3" hose that I've been using is also available in aluminum foil type. HD has it.

If anything should start to smolder in it it won't melt and smoke.

Would that be a better choice??

JL......
    That is what I use on my grinder. A bit stiff but works fine.
    take that back! No foil in mine, itโ€™s all flex aluminum .
    Last edited by rickyb; 12-16-2020, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X