Recommendation For Dust Collector Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation For Dust Collector Hose

I want to replace the 3" dia. hose on my grinder's dust collector. For years I've been using that cheap stuff that is used for like bathroom fans. It's flame retardant but I had a little melt down today.
    Smoked and stunk the shop up. I shouldn't have let the inside walls of the hose get as dirty as they were. I've had a couple little hot spots on occasions where the steel dust will start to glow and melt a small hole in the hose, but they usually fizzle out. So, time to look for something better.

Can any one recommend a hose for this purpose??

So far with a quick search I found these but wonder if there is something better.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01492271

https://www.powderbulksolids.com/acc...ti-static-hose

This is the hose I want to replace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20190425-191235.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.4 KB ID:	1915836

JL................

This stuff worked pretty good on our old belt grinder at work, sold by the foot even-

https://www.mcmaster.com/53145K55/
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
      This stuff worked pretty good on our old belt grinder at work, sold by the foot even-

https://www.mcmaster.com/53145K55/
      It doesn't say weather or not it's flame retardant.

The the warning at the bottom....... Warning: Hose should not be used for applications that generate a static charge.

JL................

Comment

Many of the flex hoses have the same warning. Run a copper ground wire inside the hose from grinder to metal of vacuum?
        I think you would want a smooth vs. a corrugated interior like: https://www.mcmaster.com/vacuum-hose...trip-for-dust/
        or https://www.mcmaster.com/vacuum-hose...hose-for-dust/

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          It doesn't say weather or not it's flame retardant.

The the warning at the bottom....... Warning: Hose should not be used for applications that generate a static charge.

JL................

TPR rubber hose meets UL 94HB for flame retardance.

You aren't conveying combustible dust ( grain,wood, paper dust) so static control isn't much of an issue right?

McMaster also lists some fiberglass hose and a few others with a high flame retardance, but they also have a high cost as well. What about a sheet metal scoop and a piece of metal flex pipe?
          Last edited by wierdscience; 12-15-2020, 10:16 PM.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

So... I look after (work) a 30hp Donaldson Torrit dust connection system that is connected to about 50 plus grinding and polishing workstations. It can rip your panties off at 10 feet!. The main line are galv steel ducting, but the last 6-10 feet connections are by this stuff in 3, 4 and 6 inch. It lasts...

Flexadux T-7 Thermoplastic Rubber Duct Hose, Black, 3" ID, 0.030" Wall, 25' Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Get the right "bridge clamps" that adapt to the spiral, not the usual hose clamps.

For low velocity "nuisance dust / fumes" (not all that abrasive) I use this (dirt cheap):

Amazon.com: AC Infinity Flexible 6-Inch Aluminum Ducting, Heavy-Duty Four-Layer Protection, 25-Feet Long for Heating Cooling Ventilation and Exhaust: Home & Kitchen

if you want listed antistatic flex hose, ridiculously expensive..... but...

Oh, the Torrit - $5200 for each set of filters. lol
            Last edited by lakeside53; 12-15-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

If the hot steel dust doesn't go to far in the hose before it cools to decent temperature, maybe you could use some Snaplock sheet metal ducting for the first part where the really hot stuff is.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                Many of the flex hoses have the same warning. Run a copper ground wire inside the hose from grinder to metal of vacuum?
                I think you would want a smooth vs. a corrugated interior like: https://www.mcmaster.com/vacuum-hose...trip-for-dust/
                or https://www.mcmaster.com/vacuum-hose...hose-for-dust/
                Yes, smooth would be the better choice if I cold find something suitable. There aren't many choices for smooth wall flex hose, and that stuff is also pretty stiff and heavy. It has to hang off that little plastic dust chute that's mounted to the wheel housing.

JL..................

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

TPR rubber hose meets UL 94HB for flame retardance.

You aren't conveying combustible dust ( grain,wood, paper dust) so static control isn't much of an issue right?

McMaster also lists some fiberglass hose and a few others with a high flame retardance, but they also have a high cost as well. What about a sheet metal scoop and a piece of metal flex pipe?
                  No, none of the above mentioned type dust. Only from dressing the wheel and grinding. I don't take heavy cuts so there no fireworks display when I'm grinding.

Static has never been an issue. I have thought about running a piece of aluminum flex pipe like what is used for hot water tanks for the first foot or so coming off the chute and then couple it to some light flex hose similar to what I originally used.

I've watched the sparks go into that hose, they don't go far before they fizzle out. Maybe 6" to 8" in at the most. that's the most vulnerable point and that's where all my smoldering hot spots occur. If the hose is clean I don't have this issue, it's not the hose that burns it's the fine steel dust that ignites and glows and melts / burns the hose.

JL...............
                  Last edited by JoeLee; 12-15-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    So... I look after (work) a 30hp Donaldson Torrit dust connection system that is connected to about 50 plus grinding and polishing workstations. It can rip your panties off at 10 feet!. The main line are galv steel ducting, but the last 6-10 feet connections are by this stuff in 3, 4 and 6 inch. It lasts...

Flexadux T-7 Thermoplastic Rubber Duct Hose, Black, 3" ID, 0.030" Wall, 25' Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Get the right "bridge clamps" that adapt to the spiral, not the usual hose clamps.

For low velocity "nuisance dust / fumes" (not all that abrasive) I use this (dirt cheap):

Amazon.com: AC Infinity Flexible 6-Inch Aluminum Ducting, Heavy-Duty Four-Layer Protection, 25-Feet Long for Heating Cooling Ventilation and Exhaust: Home & Kitchen

if you want listed antistatic flex hose, ridiculously expensive..... but...

Oh, the Torrit - $5200 for each set of filters. lol
                    A lot of that hose is too bulky and stiff and won't make the bend coming off my chute. I may have to do a little redesign work and make some kind of a support for the hose to take the weight off the chute.

JL..................

Comment

If you don't care about abrasion and heat, PVC pool Vacuum hose is smooth'ish interior and very flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                        If you don't care about abrasion and heat, PVC pool Vacuum hose is smooth'ish interior and very flexible.
                        Yes, some of that commercial pool vac hose is really nice stuff, but never seen it in 3" dia

JL....

Comment

By the picture the cone also looks like plastic so way can't you use PVC pipe with some support brackets? If you used the thick wall type it would hold up pretty long and also be smooth inside as well. Just a thought and would be pretty inexpensive. You could use it for 2 ft or so and than go to your flex hosing.
                          John From Slinger, Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                            By the picture the cone also looks like plastic so way can't you use PVC pipe with some support brackets? If you used the thick wall type it would hold up pretty long and also be smooth inside as well. Just a thought and would be pretty inexpensive. You could use it for 2 ft or so and than go to your flex hosing.
                            Yes, the chute is plastic also. I made it from a cheap food container. With a little modification it has worked out well.
                            The problem with any rigid PVC pipe is the weight and it has to move freely without causing any issues with the grinders head moving up and down.

JL................

Comment

That same 3" hose that I've been using is also available in aluminum foil type. HD has it.

If anything should start to smolder in it it won't melt and smoke.

Would that be a better choice??

JL......
                              Last edited by JoeLee; 12-16-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X