OT: Banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Banned

I sometimes have to wonder what is going on. Recently I tried to ask a question and join a modestly well known blacksmithing forum. My verification email did not come in a timely fashion, but two days later when I found it in my junk mail folder I tried to authenticate my account only to find I was banned. I don't think my initial question was onerous in anyway other than being a newbie question. To be honest I was so stunned by being banned before even confirming my account, that for the life of me I can't recall my question.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I had a somewhat similar response on another forum, one for machinists but not necessarily professionals. I'd registered, but it was something of a secondary forum for me, so when I went back a couple months later I found that my registration with them had been canceled. I emailed the moderator to ask why and he replied that he saw I had been participating on two others but not that one so he axed me. WTF? Because I talked with others but not him? Needless to say I've made it a point to not check his forum again. He can continue talking to his navel as far as I'm concerned.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I have been banned from a forum or 2 for sarcasm and hyperbole, most small forums are funded and run by a single person, they have every right to ban me if they so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
        I have been banned from a forum or 2 for sarcasm and hyperbole, most small forums are funded and run by a single person, they have every right to ban me if they so desire.
        I had not even finished my authentication, because my authentication email didn't show up right away.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Maybe you are banned until you confirm registration. Maybe an error. Maybe they are just really, REALLY tired of the question you asked.

Comment

As I mentioned, a single person running a web forum, this is a labor of love at best and the wild wild west at worst.
            It is likely that the single person that administers the forum merely missed your registration between fighting trolls, spam, malware, and so on. They also have to moderate the entire forum for unrelated content and annoying members such a myself.

A large paid forum has employees for these purposes and very expensive software to use.
            Be grateful that there are people willing to run forums like this one at all, it can not be worth the trouble and work involved.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
              I had a somewhat similar response on another forum, one for machinists but not necessarily professionals. I'd registered, but it was something of a secondary forum for me, so when I went back a couple months later I found that my registration with them had been canceled. I emailed the moderator to ask why and he replied that he saw I had been participating on two others but not that one so he axed me. WTF? Because I talked with others but not him? Needless to say I've made it a point to not check his forum again. He can continue talking to his navel as far as I'm concerned.
              Yes, the other place. The forum formerly run by He Who Shall Not Be Named, who spamed HSM, PM, Chaski and possibly other forums.

Comment

I've always thought being banned was a badge of honor? 😁

Comment

Turned out to be an automatic ban based on some oddity about my IP address. All fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                    I've always thought being banned was a badge of honor? 😁
                    It is easy (-:
                    Anyone can do it, it takes zero skill.

Being very annoying and not being banned takes certain skills.
                    Last edited by Bented; 12-20-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

It is easy (-:

I see you are highly talented..I enjoy your posts and pictures.

Comment

Glad to hear that it is sorted, Bob.

Comment

Internet exists for little people to exert power over others

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            Internet exists for little people to exert power over others
                            Hey, don't make fun of me or I'll pre ban your user name from MY forums.

Comment

It is easy (-:

We bow to the master.

21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X