Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Banned

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Internet exists for little people to exert power over others
    Boy, ain't that the truth!

    I contributed to an article on an encyclopedia forum about a motorcycle I built for a manufacturer. Someone flagged my response because I was providing information that had not been published before.

    Re-reading the rules I knew that I was qualified, being the builder. The flagger said that I should be able to have someone interview me and then I could post something from the interview article.

    I.E. an author (I refer to some of them as armchair experts) is more qualified than the person who actually did the work!

    Best wishes to ya’ll.

    Sincerely,

    Jim

    "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

    "I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

    Location: Bustling N.E. Arizona

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      Internet exists for little people to exert power over others
      That's a rather profound distillation of fact. It should be worked into the definition of 'troll' too. I like it!
      Southwest Utah

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jhe.1973 View Post

        Boy, ain't that the truth!

        I contributed to an article on an encyclopedia forum about a motorcycle I built for a manufacturer. Someone flagged my response because I was providing information that had not been published before.

        Re-reading the rules I knew that I was qualified, being the builder. The flagger said that I should be able to have someone interview me and then I could post something from the interview article.

        I.E. an author (I refer to some of them as armchair experts) is more qualified than the person who actually did the work!

        I know you already understand how completely and ludicrously senseless that is.....

        Like the people who rejected a mailed-in communication because it was not sent certified mail to ensure correct delivery.... I mean... they GOT it, so that part should be over with! A friend told me about such an experience a few years ago.... boggled my mind.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

        Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

        Comment


        • #19
          "
          OT: Banned by Bob La Londe
          "

          Yeah. I would have banned you long ago if I had the Juice


          I do look over some sites (from about 1999) and have never banned anyone.

          Most of the times its not a people issue.. Software holding bank so WE dont get Spam. Keeps the scum out.

          This site is one of few that are not Bunkered down with mass amounts of advertising chit. JR





          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Bented View Post

            It is easy (-:
            Anyone can do it, it takes zero skill.

            Being very annoying and not being banned takes certain skills.
            Oh my god that's funny !

            -D
            DZER

            Comment


            • #21
              Trolling is definently an art form, but I would say entirely different from power grabs. Little people exerting power over others with bans is the same as HOA members going after neighbors or asshats in some kind of club setting like R/C Airfields or Live Steam.
              Trolls do not seek power over others, getting negative reactions out of others and stirring the **** pot is what they desire.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

                Yes, the other place. The forum formerly run by He Who Shall Not Be Named, who spamed HSM, PM, Chaski and possibly other forums.
                This means nothing to me. It's apparently some insider stuff that goes back before I joined. I would like some clarification,

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by DennisCA View Post

                  This means nothing to me. It's apparently some insider stuff that goes back before I joined. I would like some clarification,
                  His forums logo reminds me of Stalin's era of communism.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                    Trolling is definently an art form, but I would say entirely different from power grabs. Little people exerting power over others with bans is the same as HOA members going after neighbors or asshats in some kind of club setting like R/C Airfields or Live Steam.
                    Trolls do not seek power over others, getting negative reactions out of others and stirring the **** pot is what they desire.
                    Dont get me going on about Some HOA Nazi type fuk nutts.

                    My first house had an HOA. I was lucky enough to pay them $300 a month for them complaining an=bout my potted plants (Basil) .

                    Yeah.. HOA fuk nutts? Kiss my cash...

                    Made sure the next place did not have any HOA or Mello-Roos.

                    Yeah. It may sound lik4 a made up language. its a So. Cal thing. Google it up....

                    My place doesnt have any of those extra taxes/

                    P.S. just got a 30 year fixed at 2.75%

                    I haven't seen that ever.

                    My first place was 11%. And I was grateful for that. JR

                    P.S.> I come from a no money Family. All of this was me.
                    Last edited by JRouche; 12-21-2020, 03:29 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

                      I know you already understand how completely and ludicrously senseless that is.....

                      Like the people who rejected a mailed-in communication because it was not sent certified mail to ensure correct delivery.... I mean... they GOT it, so that part should be over with! A friend told me about such an experience a few years ago.... boggled my mind.
                      Last year I had to fax a complaint to my ISP because they didn't accept email complaints. Go figure
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        i have been banned from only one (automotive) forum so far. actually not officially banned, but i could not log in anymore and messages to administrator stayed unanswered. years later an aquaintance who frequented same forum told me, my posts were too informative and the "owners" didnt like that, because they wanted to do busines with the members.

                        what is annoying, however, when i want to register somewhere and get the message that i am "spam". there is nothing you can do.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I hate to drift this thread but it has already moved off a bit so a bit more shouldn't disturb very many. :-) Twice in the last several days I've tried to send an e-mail to an org.. One a genealogy site the other a medical office, and one of the boxes is for e-mail address. I filled it out with the one I've been using for over twenty years and when I click "send" up pops a small rectangle with "Enter an e-mail address" . In both cases identical looking small boxes. I couldn't even delete the one I had entered, tried just entering it again and still no help. If this sort of screwup continues the internet will be worthless.
                          ...lew...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Try a different browser Lew. I use firefox for 99.9% of browsing, but occasionally will run into an issue with sites not behaving properly. I have chrome installed and when I switch to that it usually works fine. This just happened when I tried to order some Kiwico for the kids Christmas, but the forms didn't work in firefox. They worked fine in chrome. If you want to understand why that happens, I'm afraid it's far beyond my paygrade, but I know there's quite a few here that would know why.

                            As for being banned. Only ever happened once. For posting a video on a forum that didn't allow videos..... We all knew the rule, but it got lax for a number of months. Quite a few of us got caught up in that sweep lol. It was quite comical actually. That forum, and this one are pretty much the only ones I participate in regularly anymore. I still visit PM once in a while, but it's devolved into such a cesspool the last few years it's just not worth engaging anymore. I'm not a fan of banning, and heavy handed moderating. I'm a big fan of nature running it's course.

                            I never did venture over to that "other" forum. That guy is, uh, interesting.....it takes all kinds to make the world go round.......
                            Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 12-21-2020, 10:29 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by DennisCA View Post

                              This means nothing to me. It's apparently some insider stuff that goes back before I joined. I would like some clarification,
                              A forum claiming that all are welcome and geared to the hobbyist, hence hobby is the first word in the forums two word name.
                              Allegedly, someone in it's management team stared an smear campaign again a person who was a long time member here, registering him on child p*rn sites and having explicit sexual catalogs, literature, etc., send to his home. This person allegedly is no longer involved there, but as far as I'm concerned, the stink remains.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                That "other forum" guy emailed me a few times to get me to sign up over there, not sure why. I guess he broadcast invitations to a lot of folks. I looked at it, and decided it was not worth messing with.

                                BTW, he told me that he was turning it over to others, so he may not even be involved anymore. All this if, of course, it is the same guy I think it is, which is pretty likely.
                                CNC machines only go through the motions.

                                Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X