Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Are they TPMG or TNMG ?
    Neither. All the inserts that are visible are TPGs. If they were TNMGs or TPMGs they would have
    a centre hole...

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
      I have Milled the bottom of larger holders to get desired height,seems to work fine.
      That is a good way to use inexpensive holders for our smaller lathes. Great idea. JR

Comment

The writing on the box at the front says TNMG, it must be a red herring..

The Smart & Brown has a tool height of 17.53mm and I have milled down about two dozen 20mm tools to avoid bothering with shims, (only about 1/5 of them turned out low). There is now a choice of three toolposts, all the same height as the original. If the lathe had a QCTP, I probably would not have needed to, but the thought of the cost of 24 holders, plus those for boring bars, parting off , grooving and threading tools would put me off.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C3E503AE-EAF8-4C72-B38E-4196020030E5.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1917279 Click image for larger version

Name:	0B356EC6-6F27-4266-BD5F-652F49BB5743.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	1917280 Click image for larger version

Name:	B7D0B81C-D909-4F55-94D4-BE71C0F41237.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1917281 Thanks for all the replies. They are indeed 1/4” IC. Some of the gold inserts have 0 rake some have some rake. All the gray ones have rake. Here’s a couple pictures of the inserts and my mill and lathe. I have a rotary table. I also use A R Warner HHS inserts and holders on my QCTP. I was toying with the idea of drilling and tapping a hole for a hold down as the HSS inserts are the same size as the free carbide ones. I also thought about buying a cheap set of insert holders for triangular inserts with center holes and modifying them some how.
          Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
          Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Working...
          X