Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miss me? Its been a minute. Stuff happened and now trade lathes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you are going on with life.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have owned a 14x40 Logan with a hardened bed for the last 40 years. Great lighter weight lathe at 1800lbs??
      Threaded spindle which has never been a problem.
      A prior owner had tossed the problem prone reeves drive and hacked a hole in the left cabinet and stuck a motor in there, so it was only 1 speed.
      I put a 4 speed machinery trans if for 10 years and when vdfs became cheap put a 5hp vdf and 5hp motor.
      Now it is dial a speed and backgear for threading and big hole drilling.

I would jump on it.

Comment

If you'll be having a future business relationship with this guy be careful. Keep in mind the Logan is worth at least 2 (and probably more) Atlas lathes. So there could be some bad feelings if the other guy ever comes to find out how one sided this trade is.

Comment

Some pichers.

Andy

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Andy

Comment

I'm very surprised that he would consider trading straight up for an Atlas. Seems like you would be well ahead. Obviously has a collet closer which is an expensive piece of tooling.
              Good luck with the transaction. Hopefully everyone gets a fair deal.

Comment

Nice looking lathe, looks in good shape.. congrats..

Comment

Nice to see you back

Great deal for you if other party is happy

I would do in a heartbeat
                  "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Nice step up from the Atlas, assuming there's a cross slide and compound somewhere in the box of tooling. And variable speed, too. I'm thinking that's a later model 65xx series machine where the electrical controls are integrated into the headstock, but don't quote me on that. Is it yours now? Or is this photo taken in the customer's shop?

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                      If you'll be having a future business relationship with this guy be careful. Keep in mind the Logan is worth at least 2 (and probably more) Atlas lathes. So there could be some bad feelings if the other guy ever comes to find out how one sided this trade is.
                      That guy should do his homework and find out what each lathe is worth and if he doesn't, it's on him if he gets the short end of the stick.

Hopefully he does know and is content with just having the smaller lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Nice step up from the Atlas, assuming there's a cross slide and compound somewhere in the box of tooling. And variable speed, too. I'm thinking that's a later model 65xx series machine where the electrical controls are integrated into the headstock, but don't quote me on that. Is it yours now? Or is this photo taken in the customer's shop?
                        Yes, I also noticed that the cross slide and compound are not on the machine, find out why they are removed ! (bad leadscrew maybe?) I also noticed the carriage is behind the tailstock, wonder why they did that? These might be a hint at why he never powered or used the lathe. A close exam is definitely going to be needed.
                        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-23-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Truthfully I figured it was a fairly even trade. Nice atlas machines with the tooling I have for it go for a decent amount around me. From what I see about the same price the bigger lathes sell for. Either way we haven't hammered out all the details yet. We just talked a bit about the trade. He would much rather have the smaller lathe as he only needs it for a few small parts now and then.

Everything is orientated the way it is (carriage on the wrong side, compound in the drawer etc) from the machine getting moved to his shop. It was moved, put in the corner, and he never touched it since.

I've been wanting a bigger lathe for a good number of years. I hope the deal works out.
                          Andy

Comment

Yeah I hope it works out for you too. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not it's an "even trade" - as long as you and he are both happy, that's all that matters. That's how I approach my transactions... for example, I recently won a bunch of copper wire at auction. I really only wanted this one big spool of 2 gauge copper SER but I wound up with about 3000 lbs. of THHN in 16 and 18 gauge, all packed in drums. With the current price of THHN at the local scrap yard, that was about $2400 in scrap value. But I would have to handle it all and I already had other stuff to move so I sold it to a scrapper who was at the auction and wound up with the spool for free plus an extra 2 bills in my pocket. Scrapper wound up with a profit of about $1800. Some would say I should have bargained for a higher price or just scrapped it myself, but we both came away from the transaction happy.

Same thing goes for this trade. I'm of the opinion that the Logan is worth more than the Atlas but as long as you and he are happy, then it was a fair exchange!

Comment

I was at his shop again over the weekend finishing up the job i was working on. We got to talk a bit more about the lathes, I showed him pictures of mine, and we agreed to a strait up trade. To be honest I am a little sad to see my atlas go since I have put so much time and parts into mine to make it what I wanted. However the Logan will do all the same stuff my atlas was able to do plus more. I will have to go threw the entire logan for cleaning, inspection, I am sure a few repairs here and there. I am happy to be getting a bigger lathe finally. Like I said I've been wanting a lathe with a larger swing for a good many years now.

Ironically I picked up an extra Atlas 10" around a month ago for a great price. It has a much shorter bed than my current atlas, no qcgb, no reverse switch, no power cross feed, but it looks to be barely used and will be handy for small bits. I am sure I will upgrade it over the years to bring it up to what my old atlas was. It just sort of sucks to start over again on a pretty much bare bones atlas. It did however come with a milling attachment which is worth a few bucks that I could sell to put towards the upgrades.

I'm going to have a busy couple months coming up with moving shops and houses and I have a mile long list of work/jobs I really shouldn't have taken on but money is always needed too. I'll try to update with things as I can.
                              Andy

Comment

Might be worth doing up the new Atlas and getting it into a package ready deal for a beginner, then use that money for tooling (chucks, DRO, tool holders etc) up the Clausing. I'm sure you can still go fast enough on the Clausing to work on small stuff. You could even look into a collet closer or collet chuck so you can get real close without worrying about a large chuck spinning at 1500rpm.

Comment

Working...
                                X