Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating problem on Toyota Hilux pickup. Machining related!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating problem on Toyota Hilux pickup. Machining related!

We have a Toyota Hilux pickup. The fan was working according to the sound but not much air was coming out any of the vents. We took it to our local dealer for them to fix it. They called this morning and said it would cost 4000.00 Euros to fix the problem. A part had broken off that controlled the flaps that directed the air flow and no parts were available so the whole unit had to be replaced. I told them I was coming down to see it. I went down and all that was broken was a connecting rod going from the servo linkage to the flap mechanism. I slid the mechanism back and forth and told them to take out the whole unit and call me. I will fix this thing if it is the last thing I do in this life! Forget the cost for one minute. Think about the waste going to the land fill and all the related implications. All because they don't fix things just replace things. Bull**** on the dealer and the mechanics for not even trying to fix it.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

4000? I trust you will never go back to that dealer again. You can repair or make a part like that for e3.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
      We have a Toyota Hilux pickup. The fan was working according to the sound but not much air was coming out any of the vents. We took it to our local dealer for them to fix it. They called this morning and said it would cost 4000.00 Euros to fix the problem. A part had broken off that controlled the flaps that directed the air flow and no parts were available so the whole unit had to be replaced. I told them I was coming down to see it. I went down and all that was broken was a connecting rod going from the servo linkage to the flap mechanism. I slid the mechanism back and forth and told them to take out the whole unit and call me. I will fix this thing if it is the last thing I do in this life! Forget the cost for one minute. Think about the waste going to the land fill and all the related implications. All because they don't fix things just replace things. Bull**** on the dealer and the mechanics for not even trying to fix it.
      Probably a bent coat hanger piece of wire could fix it.
      And maybe some hot glue and a piece of sheet metal.
      I 100% agree. Mindless idiots.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

once you get the unit in hand post a pic please, Might be something ss safety tie wire like used on drilled hex bolts can fix,
        Ron

Comment

Absolutely. Bravo to you sir. It is absolutely pitiful, the state of many "repair" shops these days.

Comment

They're called stealers instead of dealers....

Comment

Where would the world be if everyone bought one pickup and repaired it forever? You need to do your part to keep the economy conveyer belt moving. Trash it and buy new just because it's old.

Comment

Those fancy dealerships and bloated staff don' come cheap

They were hoping for you to buy a new pickup in light of the staggering repair bill.
                Don't worry, they'll fix your reduced value trade in and make a hefty profit on two vehicles. Then they will offer you "in house" financing and make even more money on that than both of the truck sales. They aren't stupid, they just assume the average customer is.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

jeez, I knew things were expensive in the fatherland but that is just ridiculous...

Comment

i assume the unit is burried in the dash. my mechanic spent over a day to get to an a/c component and again assemble all the stuff on a jeep, mostly lying on his back. im just saying, a large part of that amount might go into this.

Comment

that's for sure - HVAC stuff is usually a complete pain to get to. I don't know what the hourly rate in Germany is at a dealer, but I'd guess 150E/h perhaps? That could be a good chunk of the cost (1000E maybe). The rest is probably the price of a complete plenum with flaps and control body, as I doubt they come in smaller parts. Plus of course the dealer mark up. You could probably buy a replacement from a scrap yard for a couple of hundred if you were willing to spend a few hours pulling one out. It'll be neat to see the part and your fix though, and I bet the replacement part will last many times longer than the plastic original!

I still remember spending 2 days replacing the AC evaporator core on my Ford Focus. Boy was that a misery. Basically had to remove the entire front of the inside of the car and then hacksaw the AC pipes off the otherside of the firewall. Absolute bloody misery.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                        that's for sure - HVAC stuff is usually a complete pain to get to. I don't know what the hourly rate in Germany is at a dealer, but I'd guess 150E/h perhaps? That could be a good chunk of the cost (1000E maybe). The rest is probably the price of a complete plenum with flaps and control body, as I doubt they come in smaller parts. Plus of course the dealer mark up. You could probably buy a replacement from a scrap yard for a couple of hundred if you were willing to spend a few hours pulling one out. It'll be neat to see the part and your fix though, and I bet the replacement part will last many times longer than the plastic original!

I still remember spending 2 days replacing the AC evaporator core on my Ford Focus. Boy was that a misery. Basically had to remove the entire front of the inside of the car and then hacksaw the AC pipes off the otherside of the firewall. Absolute bloody misery.
                        I can relate to the Ford focus, I had to replace my heater core and it was hell working in such awkward and tight positions. I did this in the winter time, outside -20'C. Doing any work behind the dash is never pleasant and they are not going to get easier with all the electronics they are packing in them.

Comment

Ever see a newer car or truck being built on the assembly line? The HVAC assembly is the first thing that goes into the empty body shell.
                          They literally build the entire vehicle around the HVAC assembly, hence the high labor rates to service them.
                          Used to be all that was required was to remove an access panel in the firewall or plenum in order to replace a heater core or A/C evaporator.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

My friend had a Toyota Corolla(90 something model year) that had a similar issue and the dealer quoted 2000 dollars for the repair. I went to the dealership and saw the car apart and the vent flap shaft had worn the hole which caused it to jam. I figured a washer welded to the side would fix it easily so we told the service manager our plan was to tow the car home. We would repair the vent door and then we would tow the car back and they would reinstall the dash and all the other parts. That was quoted at 500 dollars but wait, suddenly the tech could make the repair and whole job was done at 600 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                              i assume the unit is burried in the dash. my mechanic spent over a day to get to an a/c component and again assemble all the stuff on a jeep, mostly lying on his back. im just saying, a large part of that amount might go into this.
                              True dat. On my jeep the factory starts with the heater core and builds the vehicle around it. According to the service manual it's an entire day's labor just to get to the heater core. $125 for a good quality aftermarket core, ?$$$$? in labor

Comment

Working...
                              X