Electropolishing not what I expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electropolishing not what I expected

I made up a solution of 25% sulphuric battery acid and 75% phosphoric acid. I connected a stainless steel boat vent cap to a DC power supply consisting of a variac transformer feeding a 120vac to 12vac transformer to a full wave bridge rectifier end in battery clips.

The diode bridge got pretty hot quickly which was surprising as I adjusted the variac to put out just 5 amps. The solution bubbled and after an hour the part was dull not shiny as I was expecting so I turned it on again and forgot about for about 5 more hours.

See how nice and shiny it came out? WTF!!!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

You done shined the bollox of of that, never mind, if you get a stuck bolt in an engine you can remove the engine from around the bolt
    mark

Comment

You did not mention which polarity you set your part to...
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Electropolishing requires just the right current density and a bunch of chemicals, not just 2 acids of unknown concentration and a battery charger

Comment

I tried this using my tig welder. I got an amazingly beautiful matt finish to my workpiece . I think it needs a fine balance of the right chemicals and power to knock off the high spots on your workpiece. Hope you get it right . I have a use for this and it would save me alot of mechanical polishing.

Comment

I use water with table salt and 6 Vdc to etch some images onto stainless steel plates. It only takes a few minutes to remove 0,2 mm of metal around the artwork screen. 😉 Acid and several hours would mage the plate disappear also.
            Helder Ferreira
            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

You can get the same results you did with a grinder and a flap wheel in less than five minutes.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Current density would normally be around 0.4 A/sq in.

Ed
                For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Is this the same process as those "wands" that have some black brush that is electrified and you run it along a weld joint to remove any discoloration? (run on sentence much lol) JR

Comment

yes, "black brush" is a carbon brush.

gary, try 1 amp. as soon as you see small bubles on kathode you have enough current. besides i suspect you forgot do add watter to the electrolyte (should be about 75%). also try nitric instead of sulphuric. what you did is erode the surface. stainless is easy to polish, right after copper. dont try aluminum, your going to kill yourself.

edit: if you can controll the voltage watch the current and when it starts falling you are there.
                    Last edited by dian; 12-24-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

No I wouldn't have gotten the same finish with the flap wheel, it was already better than that, I did some welding on it which is why I was trying it, along with a pile of other parts that I should have tried first as I made those. I thought I could learn a new useful process, I built a 200amp electropolishing power supply for a customer about 40 years ago and they used it successfully but I wasn't involved with the process. I would like to build an EDM!

Comment

I looked into electropolishing once and stopped once I saw the chemicals that are used to do it. Nasty stuff, you have just a portion of what is normally used.

Comment

you get decent results with just phosphoric, at least on a small scale. nothing nasty about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X