OT... I HATE brass coloured fittings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT... I HATE brass coloured fittings.

So we get a new washer coming this morning.
    I go to remove the hoses.... of course taps are stuck. I get slip joint pliers and get them mostly closed ..small drip.
    FIrst hose comes easy.. Second won't budge, I try a while and I figure... new plan..

So I get an angle grinder , a few files. Ok gold color fitting , grind thru one side ..should let go.. I grind... SPARKS ! Oh man it's steel.. not so good..
    I get well into the fat shoulder , a bit of heat, still no go. So I go across the thread portion a bit and it turns a bit blue.. try again ..it starts turning.
    comes off hard though .rust everywhere.. .. crudded up tap.. not so happy..

Anyone see this before , I suspect they plate them to make them look higher quality... buggers... .. I JYST HAD TO VENT... hope a new hose comes with the washer..

Sometimes anti-seize is your best friend.
    Any connection to hot- or cold-water systems, especially here in Canada's HARD-water region.
    Builders and plumbers have a vested interest in NOT using anti-seize. DIYers quite the opposite!

Comment

This topic came up about 6 months ago. I have been a victim of this at work. GRRRRRR

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...itting-warning

Comment

I'd like to see the advertising- do they call them brass fittings, or brass-colored fittings?

I wanted some brass fittings a while ago for a project- the store had what I wanted, except they weren't brass. And they were so thin- little more than tin foil. I got what I wanted- but from a thrift store where I found the real thing.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I often carry a pocket screwdriver with a magnet end if you have it with you easy to check..
          but I got to say...when buying a garden hose , you may think this one looks better it has heavy brass ends... but they may be plated...fooled again..

Comment

I carried a magnet for a long time, after I discovered that some speaker wire I had bought was copper plated steel. It's still on my key ring, but I don't carry that ring with me anymore. But that gives me an idea for a project- a pocket flashlight with a magnet on it. Combination flashlight, magnet, and bottle opener.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Perhaps the worst offenders are the hose and hose fitting manufacturers. Pot metal valve bodies with a pretty bright brass like finish are just garbage, as are many of the similarly plated hose ends. They just crack and break....useless.

I carefully look at the products. Brass costs a lot more but worth it. The cheap ones look fake, the plating is just too bright for real brass and the heft isn't there either. I have some hose bib extension valves (like a manifold) that barely made it through one summer before corrosion claimed them. Not sure why they even bother. They just go to the trash.
              S E Michigan

Comment

Same thing with some aftermarket automotive battery terminal connectors. Many of them are brass colored, but most of those are pot metal inside.

Ed
                For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I got caught out by the brass plating scourge with my nutcrusher project. Fished out what I thought were 4 brass slotted 8-32 screws for the base. After sanding and polishing the heads I discover 2 are brass (shiny yellow!) and two are brass plated steel (shiny silver!). What a pain. They weren't even the obnoxious bright yellow plated screws, they really looked like old brass screws...

Comment

And what about them brushes with 1/4 inch shank for drills , try finding a yellow coloured one that is NOT steel...

Comment

Last time I saw Brass ends on washer hoses was 40 years ago helping my father swap in a new washing machine for one that he replaced after 18 years. Everything I have laid hands on since has been yellow zinc plated steel. PTFE paste in the threads keeps them twistable for years though.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        So we get a new washer coming this morning.
                        I go to remove the hoses.... of course taps are stuck. I get slip joint pliers and get them mostly closed ..small drip.
                        FIrst hose comes easy.. Second won't budge, I try a while and I figure... new plan..

So I get an angle grinder , a few files. Ok gold color fitting , grind thru one side ..should let go.. I grind... SPARKS ! Oh man it's steel.. not so good..
                        I get well into the fat shoulder , a bit of heat, still no go. So I go across the thread portion a bit and it turns a bit blue.. try again ..it starts turning.
                        comes off hard though .rust everywhere.. .. crudded up tap.. not so happy..

Anyone see this before , I suspect they plate them to make them look higher quality... buggers... .. I JYST HAD TO VENT... hope a new hose comes with the washer..
                        This is a common problem even with solid brass fittings and valves that have set untouched for years. Mineral buildup mostly causes them to seize.
                        Faucet shut off valves that are under sinks, toilets and behind washers all seize or become sticky after years of not being open and closed. It would be a good idea to turn them periodically but we all just don't think about it until you have to replace a washer or something. I've found that a shot of Break Free, Blaster or some other brand penetrating spray helps loosen them up and lubricates the packings.
                        I don't have any die cast fittings on any of my shut off valves or washer hoses, all solid brass or chrome plated brass.
                        And those brass colored one............. not even brass plating, gold colored anodizing.

The only die cast crap I have are a couple garden hose nozzles and they suck !

JL....................
                        Last edited by JoeLee; 12-24-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X