No announcement yet.

interepted cut with boring bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a 5/8” boring bar to machine over 50 sockets 6&12 point ,the deepest would have been around 2” on a 3-1/8” Socket.It took 3 inserts to do all of them,all interrupted cuts. Click image for larger version

Name:	34266DE1-BA2D-4E3B-A853-C017C027D2BF.png
Views:	206
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1917641 Click image for larger version

Name:	DBDA3293-4F98-4C0F-B4CD-77A5D2A5B8E0.png
Views:	196
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1917642

Comment

Even with that short stickout you might take the extra step of wrapping some solder around the bar to dampen it. Or lay on a strip of that sticky window sealant, something like that. I doubt if the magnitude of any oscillations would damage the cutter, but it's pretty quick to add this damping. Solder can still be used later, or just kept for damping boring bars, etc. Plus it won't pick up swarf like anything sticky will.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Tundra- I bet those sockets work great now Is that part of a punch set?
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your advise, this has been the best response to any question I have ever asked on any forum.
          thanks again.

Comment

TUNDRA I call jobs like that GRAUNCH and ROLL.....

Comment

[QUOTE=rogee07;n1917552]

will be boring a 2.5" hole trough a .75" thick plate of 8620. on the back side of the plate several .25" features have been cut on the back side of the JR

We want to see/So, lets see the "features"

What are theu? We want to see?

Show us the several features in .250" off the deck..

I love great machining. It makes me want to get to the garage (shop) an do... Do anything really.

Thanks.... JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yep, machine rigidity counts. A very slightly loose compound - even though you thought it was tight, can have some disastrous results.
                This was my solid carbide 1/2" bar last week. Boring a 1.25" dia hole, 2" deep in A2, about a 0.030" doc. About 3/4 of the way in must have hit a hard spot in the material. The tiniest bit of lift in the compound and Bam! ....scratch one expensive boring bar.
                Attached Files

Comment

For interrupted cuts just use HSS tooling. Like this. :-)
                  ...lew...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Love the chain drilling.
                    DZER

Comment

If you have a bigger bar, by all means use it, but with the minimum stickout the 3/4" bar should be fine. Having a choice of inserts allows you to select the best one for that particular job. Make sure your compound slide is not overhanging either. I have got away with using carbide inserts for aluminium on interrupted cuts on steel, but I took care to keep the depth of cut low.

Sad to see your poor carbide bar, Peter, I have made some by buying carbide stock and silver soldering on the end of a cheap Chinese steel boring bar. Of course, a means to hold the round shank has to be factored in. The only carbide boring that I have broken so far was a home made 7mm which I crashed into a chuck.
                      Last edited by old mart; 12-24-2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                        ...lew...
                        so you make the multifix tool holders yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

No it was for an Ironworker die . :-)
                          ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                            Tundra- I bet those sockets work great now Is that part of a punch set?
                            darryl the Sockets are used for bearing,bushing,seals and any related jobs,they work great!
                            Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            TUNDRA I call jobs like that GRAUNCH and ROLL.....
                            754 they actually machined pretty decent and left good finish,sharp square faces work well.
                            Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                            ...lew...
                            Lew I bought Kennametal inserts designed for interrupted cutting.

Comment

I have a small lathe and mill in my home shop. Interrupted cuts are bad, so I would scribe a circle and endmill it close as you can. Then bore the hole. I hog on the mill before the lathe, because it's not a beast. I never liked interrupted cuts on a lathe. You can end up wearing that carbide insert ?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

Gave you a LIKE for that one. LOL !
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X