Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you get yourself for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bented
    replied
    Originally posted by Astronowanabe View Post
    figured what the heck, parts is parts and if they wanted to pay me to
    fix and keep the lathe why not, worst case I could put a treadmill motor on it.

A treadmill motor fixes everything.
    I once put a lathe motor on a treadmill, it was glorious to behold.

Leave a comment:

• Astronowanabe
    replied
    Not sure how to categorize this, but I got the only brand new lathe I have had.
    Swung by the local Harbor freight for the first time in a year and checked their
    scratch-n-dent return shelf as always. This time there was a little red 7x12 lathe
    that had been sitting there still covered in cosmoline for long enough
    to have been marked down several times. was less than half price
    and clearly had never made a chip, manager did not know the story,
    no can't let you plug it in ... safety reasons.
    figured what the heck, parts is parts and if they wanted to pay me to
    fix and keep the lathe why not, worst case I could put a treadmill motor on it.

But it did not come to that, it was missing a spring contact on the fuse holder
    So I'm counting it as they paid me $20 to get it out of the store.

Don't really have a use for it in mind, but it can use lots of the tooling from my logan
    and it is portable maybe I can have a camping lathe!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by gellfex View Post
    My Wisconsin born wife claims ice fishing is merely to get the hell out of the house. True? 2 weeks ago I was kayaking a large lake in PA and couldn't mark anything on the fishfinder. Paddled like 5 miles and marked 3 large fish on the bottom, never found a school of crappie. Dunno how you can find fish drilling holes in ice!
    She's not far off lol Not many things to do in the winter time up here for an outdoorsman. Its also a bit easier to get into some good back lakes that aren't easily fishable in the summer. As for finding the fish, modern electronics make it a lot easier. We used to go out there with nothing and just try and find some points or shoals by looking at the shoreline. A couple years of going to the same spots you can start to figure things out a bit. Now I can do it with gps and contour maps from the couch, then load way points and trails on my garmin. Or I can mark spots in the summer time on the boat with the chart plotter. Once out to your spot, it's easy to see what's down there with the sonar. Or what isn't lol.

I like some places we go to for perch where we do a "run and gun" setup where we're always moving every 20-30 minutes to try and stay on a school of perch as they move around a bit during the day. You drill a bunch of holes about 20 ft apart, check with a sonar, then just keep drilling in a long line along a weed bed or shoreline. I also like just putting up a hut in a take your best guess spot, or renting one, and cracking a bottle or two with a woodstove going. All depends what you're going out there for....
    Most times it's all luck though. Sometimes they just aren't there, or just aren't biting. That's why they call it fishing and not catching.

Now that I can use my garmin on the ice, I going to try and get into some northern lakes I've always heard stories about. I can trace the trails on gps visualizer, then load them into my fish finder to follow on the snowmobile. I used it like that a couple years ago for our spring atv fishing trip and it worked great. Just need to make a mount for my sled bars now.

Those in wisconsin take it to a whole 'nother level though with the ice trailers they use out there. It looks like a lot of fun the little communities on the ice they have. One big social event. Not much else to do, might as well embrace it.
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 12-25-2020, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

That's nice, doesn't look like it's ever been used.
    Got it for a good price too IMO. Deckel stuff is usually extra expensive for the brand recognition, but the pro as well as the con of living far away from the rest of the world is that there isn't a big deckel market here, so it can be difficult to find a buyer.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    A dozen copies of the long defunct 'Clockmaker' magazine off ebay to get the 4 issues I'm missing. Postage as much as the magazine. Nice that it came in on Xmas eve despite the busy time for the post office. Strangely the magazine folded after issue 1 of the next volume but at least they finished the series of build articles I'm interested in.

Leave a comment:

• redlee
    replied
    S.T.D.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied

Thanks. Maybe next one will be a current Mitutoyo. I do recall there's a huge problem with fake ones all over the market.
    No problem. Definitely something you want to buy from an authorised Mitutoyo dealer for just that reason.

Leave a comment:

• DrMike
    replied
    I got two 25" .22 LR barrel liners and a .22 LR finish chamber reamer.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenedd View Post

I've got a 500-196-30. The "On/Off", "Zero/ABS" and "Origin" buttons are not recessed. The "in/mm" is not exactly recessed but it's shorter, almost flush with the surface but not quite.
    The 500-752-20 (coolant-proof version) I have from a couple of years back (it was a better sale!) only has "Origin" and "in/mm" (not even an off button) and neither are recessed.
    The 752 is silky smooth. The 196 is not as smooth - still good though - but that could be simply that it's seen no use yet. Seems reliable and repeatable though.
    Thanks. Maybe next one will be a current Mitutoyo. I do recall there's a huge problem with fake ones all over the market.

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Also got an Ice tranducer for my Garmin fish finder. That was a nice surprise this morning. Now if the lakes would just freeze up a bit more....
    My Wisconsin born wife claims ice fishing is merely to get the hell out of the house. True? 2 weeks ago I was kayaking a large lake in PA and couldn't mark anything on the fishfinder. Paddled like 5 miles and marked 3 large fish on the bottom, never found a school of crappie. Dunno how you can find fish drilling holes in ice!
    Last edited by gellfex; 12-25-2020, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post
    Wierdscience.. can it go bigger or smaller like pantograph ?...
    No, it doesn't. So I guess it isn't a pantograph at all.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Wierdscience.. can it go bigger or smaller like pantograph ?
    should mention , I would think a few places that used these have like letter and number patterns.. really good for that I suspect..
    Last edited by 754; 12-25-2020, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied

Tell me, do the newest ones have the zero button recessed or not? Last ones I bought were discontinued 500-136 models because the newer ones they'd recessed the button so you need to use 2 hands to zero it! I use the zeroing function a lot. (not the ABS button) That said, my cheap iGaging is growing on me, the huge display makes up for the annoying timing out.
    I've got a 500-196-30. The "On/Off", "Zero/ABS" and "Origin" buttons are not recessed. The "in/mm" is not exactly recessed but it's shorter, almost flush with the surface but not quite.
    The 500-752-20 (coolant-proof version) I have from a couple of years back (it was a better sale!) only has "Origin" and "in/mm" (not even an off button) and neither are recessed.
    The 752 is silky smooth. The 196 is not as smooth - still good though - but that could be simply that it's seen no use yet. Seems reliable and repeatable though.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

A gas torch pantograph.

It looks like it could easily be adapted to use a plasma torch, depending upon the torch & thickness to be cut. More useful for multiple pieces than thick pieces.
    I hope to have my CNC plasma up and running by summer, but plasma isn't so great for thick material, at least not much over 1" in thickness.

I have a plasma cutter that is rated for a quality cut in 1" material, but the duty cycle (30%) comes into play. The duty cycle on fuel/gas is 100% however.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Also got an Ice tranducer for my Garmin fish finder. That was a nice surprise this morning. Now if the lakes would just freeze up a bit more....

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Pattern cutting torch, you cut out a steel template in the shape you want and mount it on the overarm of the machine. The tracing arm has rotating magnetic stylus that follows the template, the motor being variable speed. ...
    A gas torch pantograph.

It looks like it could easily be adapted to use a plasma torch, depending upon the torch & thickness to be cut. More useful for multiple pieces than thick pieces.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X